• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

30/40 & 06 Garand Loads Roll Yer Own....

Redux

I have a fair quantity of IMR 4895 and a little less 4064 I acquired in horse trades here and there. Will be using both 150 and 165 HPBT, the 150's in the M1 and the later in the Krag. If you're reading this you no doubt know it's pretty easy to destroy a Op rod. Bottom line... whats proven for you outside of older Hornady and Sierra manuals? Accuracy and safe loads trump velocity.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
150 Grain bullet over 46 grains of IMR 4895 works just fine for me - I frequently just do neck sizing and check of length. Rarely need to trim military brass that's only ever been shot in my M1. Vey inexpensive way to shoot.

Redux

Today I tried 165 gr bullet with new Win brass/36 gr 4895, all good clean fires. Hopefully will clock them Wed, tomorrow.... decent sized local auction with a lot of nice goodies. It's great to be a slug in ones old age. :D I really like the old Krag, very comfortable to shoot. Moreso than an 06.

A7Dave

pilot
Today I tried 165 gr bullet with new Win brass/36 gr 4895, all good clean fires. Hopefully will clock them Wed, tomorrow.... decent sized local auction with a lot of nice goodies. It's great to be a slug in ones old age. :D I really like the old Krag, very comfortable to shoot. Moreso than an 06.

What are you looking for? Krag loads or Garand? If you're shooting 4895 or 4064, choose mid velocity loads and you should be fine. My M1 loads in 4895/4064 are in the 2750 FPS range for 15o grain bullets and 2650 FPS for the 168 grain Sierra HPBT loads (that's pretty much Mil-spec). Any published Krag load should be fine as they are made for Krags.

Redux

What are you looking for? Krag loads or Garand? If you're shooting 4895 or 4064, choose mid velocity loads and you should be fine. My M1 loads in 4895/4064 are in the 2750 FPS range for 15o grain bullets and 2650 FPS for the 168 grain Sierra HPBT loads (that's pretty much Mil-spec). Any published Krag load should be fine as they are made for Krags.
Krag loads, love the old rifle but it's been Bubba'ed so minimum pressure is a must. I even have some 30 cal lead bullets. maybe couple hundred.... I have a Lyman manual that should be of great help there. The Garand is as safe as the day it was made I think, it's near mint so as long as I use Garand safe powders.....

While on subject..... anyone here that loads for 50 BMG or LARGE magnums I have 7 1/2 lbs of surplus WC 860 that Id be happy to trade off for 1 lb of something I can use (brick of .22) :D or 30 or 44 cal bullets. It's in the original gallon jug it was poured in. I have no use for it, York Co Pennsyltucky.