• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

-3.00 in both eyes, what does that translate to?

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I have -3.00 vision in both eyes what does that mean in terms of the 20/20 scale? If I knew that I could see if I can fly without glasses or with or if PRK is the way to go. Thanks in advanced.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I have -3.00 vision in both eyes what does that mean in terms of the 20/20 scale? If I knew that I could see if I can fly without glasses or with or if PRK is the way to go. Thanks in advanced.
Vindication!

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
My eyes were roughly -2.00 before PRK and i was around 20/150 in my stronger eye.

akdorsey

Holy cow.... I was told that i'm not legally blind and I don't have to wear my glasses all the time, only when I drive and thats required by the DMV. What is your vision now after PRK?

UMichfly

pilot
None
There's not technically a direct correlation between the diopters of correction you require and your visual acuity (the -2.00 and the 20/20 respectively). Personally, I'm -2.00 and 20/200+ as of appointment 2 of 3 for my contact lens waiver so...it's different everywhere you go. Honestly, your correction is strong enough that I with my complete lack of expertise can tell you definitively that you won't be able to fly without either PRK or the contact lens waiver. ;)

akdorsey

Yeah I know for a fact that I don't have a chance of flying without PRK or contacts just from how I see stuff far away. I'm hoping to get PRK sometime once I get into NROTC or if I don't get in then sometime before I apply for OCS.

AppleCello

I was about -1.75 amd -2.25 pre-PRK and was rated at 20/200. it doesnt correlate.

Now im corrected to 20/15. PRK is the best thing I've ever done for myself, regardless of whether or not I get picked up for SNA.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Holy cow.... I was told that i'm not legally blind and I don't have to wear my glasses all the time, only when I drive and thats required by the DMV. What is your vision now after PRK?

Legally blind is 20/800. I am -4.00 in both eyes and have 20/400 vision. I wear the 30 day day/night contacts and on the waitlist for PRK.

akdorsey

I tried contact but the doctor said I don't need to wear them all the time just when i'm reading or watching tv or most important driving so I take them off any other time. If I don't get into the Navy i'm still going to get PRK because I just hate wearing glasses and its a pretty good investment.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I tried contact but the doctor said I don't need to wear them all the time just when i'm reading or watching tv or most important driving so I take them off any other time. If I don't get into the Navy i'm still going to get PRK because I just hate wearing glasses and its a pretty good investment.

My experience with eye doctors is that they're mostly stupid about contacts. They have this unrealistic expectation that you only need to wear your lenses for certain things and are going to be taking them out for the rest of the time. If I need contacts to watch a TV that's 10 feet away, I'm pretty much going to need to wear them at all times. They must have it pounded into them at opthalmology school that everyone should wear lenses as little as possible.

Brett

MettGT

pilot
My experience with eye doctors is that they're mostly stupid about contacts. They have this unrealistic expectation that you only need to wear your lenses for certain things and are going to be taking them out for the rest of the time. If I need contacts to watch a TV that's 10 feet away, I'm pretty much going to need to wear them at all times. They must have it pounded into them at opthalmology school that everyone should wear lenses as little as possible.

Brett

I concur. Luckily, all of my eye docs have been pretty good. I don't understand why anyone would deprive themselves of better vision. It boggles my mind why people wear their contacts only some of the time. If you can't see a TV without them, chances are you can't do other things without them. Why limit yourself to better vision in only certain activities?

/rant