• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

27 May 2012

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
22/Male/Non-Prior/SNA

from Los Angeles, CA. Also I'll probably be driving.

djguernsey

No one has started a Facebook group that I know of yet.

Care to share what you mean by "been to OCS before"? Just curious.

z5levi

Sure thing. First and foremost, my name is Zachary Levi and I have been to OCS before. My class was class 12-11 and I began on 03APR2011. I was in the regiment for three days before I was NPQ'd for eyesight. It turns out that even though I've been flying for six years (with 20-20 eyesight mind you) I had astigmatism. Total bummer. I got to the last of four eye charts before we found this out. I was left with a few extraordinarily lame options. 1. Re-designate to NFO and essentially be locked in that career path for the duration of my career. I feel that I would have essentially been clipping my own wings for the foreseeable future and don't even know that I would have been able to make it through OCS had I re-designated. 2. DOR, to get an NPQ. Which sounds ridiculous and was one of the hardest things I can remember doing (I opted to leave and have corrective surgery, re-apply, and come back strong) and finally, 3. Struggle for seven weeks only to be pressured into re-designating or simply be honorably discharged.

During my time both in regiment and in the student pool at OTCN I gained valuable insight into how things work at OCS. Though I did not spend a lot of time there, I'm definitely thankful for what little time I spent in Newport and I would be more than happy to answer any questions I can. Also, I will make a group for our class. I've found that even though air arriors is a great venue for having questions answered, facebook serves as an easy way to help get to know our classmates, which does wonders for group cohesion. And lets face it, almost everyone is on there anyway so questions get answered in a timely manor. It also helps coordinate rides to and from the airport more readily. (This is neither here nor there, however, I have been scheduled for OCS three times now. My first class was supposed to be 23OCT2010 however, I had to have my tonsils removed. I still keep in touch with my former classmates via FB and have gotten a good amount of insight into how the Navy works after OCS).

There is however, one problem that I know of with a facebook group (or for that matter this thread) and that is, that DI's will join under a fake name to see if we have any strategies for getting through OCS together or to sneak in contraband. That being said, I still think it's a good Idea.

Any questions, let me know.

Facebook group name: Navy OCS 27MAY2012

djguernsey

Can you post a link to the facebook group? Also I would love to chat with you on facebook so you can also friend request me. (Daniel James Guernsey from Los Angeles)

Sonog

pilot
Has anyone started memorizing the regs yet? I kind of want to save it for the last month to give me something to do while I'm chomping at the bit

djguernsey

I didn't see a reason why not to, even if it's just one line every night. The key I found for myself to memorization is of course repetition, but also repetition over a period of time. It allows for longer retention. Actors who play a roll for months remember their lines off hand for long time afterwards. I suppose I'm already chomping at the bit and it passes the time to hum the service songs.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Has anyone started memorizing the regs yet? I kind of want to save it for the last month to give me something to do while I'm chomping at the bit

I've had my wife quiz me every night before bed for a few weeks. Big 3 or 4 I guess its called on here.