• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 JAN 17 Pilot/NFO Board

Justin Dowd

HeloGuy87
Hey Guys!
Well the time has come. I have been on here for 2 years and now I finally get to apply for OCS. This board is the one I am going to apply for and if I cannot make it then I am going for the April board. My degree doesn't confer until Dec 31st.
I was hoping to get to know some people that are applying for this board. I applied for STA- 21 in 2015 and I am sure I have met some of you from that route. Good luck to all of the Applicants! Here are my Stats.

Name: AWR1 (NAC/AW/IUSS) Justin Dowd
TIS: 11 Years
Evals (Newest to Oldest): #1 of 21 EP, #1 of 28 EP, #2 of 26 EP, #4 of 22 MP, MP
Degree: Bachelors of Science in Management
GPA: 3.65 Cum Laude
ASTB-E: 51 6/7/6
Collateral Duties: Command Career Counselor (9588 NEC earned), Command Sponsor Coordinator, Indoc coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, ESO
PFA: Excellent, Excellent, Excellent
LOR's: 1 CAPT (COS of Naval War College), 1 CDR- Prior CO, 1 LCDR- Ops O
Prior Submission - 2015 STA-21
Volunteer Hours - 150+ (2016)

I am interested in all of your stats and if you have any areas for improvement recommendations for me, I'd love to hear it! Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Last edited:

Los_23

My package is awaiting CO signature! Hope to make this board!! I had to update my rank on my package, just made E6!!!!

Justin Dowd

HeloGuy87
I remember you Los_23 from the STA-21 Process... Glad to hear that your ready to submit. I just made E6 too.. I cut a 197.98 final multiple... 24 points over the minimum. I was Siked!

Los_23

@Justin Dowd Thanks brother!! Good to see you here as well!! Nice on the exam!!! You should be getting payed ASAP then. Congrats!!! What was your quota?

Bravo Kilo

I'll be checking in for this board also for both SNA and SNFO

ASTB-E: 57 6/6/5 (first time)
Degree: Computer Science BS
GPA: 2.99
Prior service Air Force 4.7 years, E-5/SSgt, perfect evals
Selected for and did 2.5 Years AFROTC (disenrolled under a Humanitarian release)
Various decorations/awards from the military, AFROTC, and my university

My GPA/ASTB scores are OK but far from perfect. My hope is that they truly do evaluate the whole person rather than look at just numbers. I used to live and breathe radar, EW, and any other avionics you can think of as a Strike Eagle technician extraordinaire, so I'm hoping that's a plus and shows that I'll be receptive to training.

Justin Dowd

HeloGuy87
I'll be checking in for this board also for both SNA and SNFO

ASTB-E: 57 6/6/5 (first time)
Degree: Computer Science BS
GPA: 2.99
Prior service Air Force 4.7 years, E-5/SSgt, perfect evals
Selected for and did 2.5 Years AFROTC (disenrolled under a Humanitarian release)
Various decorations/awards from the military, AFROTC, and my university

My GPA/ASTB scores are OK but far from perfect. My hope is that they truly do evaluate the whole person rather than look at just numbers. I used to live and breathe radar, EW, and any other avionics you can think of as a Strike Eagle technician extraordinaire, so I'm hoping that's a plus and shows that I'll be receptive to training.

Thanks for checking in! I am sure you'll be fine, your ASTB scores are good so that will go a long way... Nice to meet you and best of luck!

Dewse5150

I was also with you guys on the 2015 STA-21 go around.. Ill be submitting my package tomorrow.. degree conferred on 09DEC16.

AJ18

Hello all. Checking in. I was apart of the Nov 14th Board and was not selected but not rejected? I'm as confused as you. Maybe I will hear something from this board. I am also prior service USAF E-6/TSgt. Good luck all.

AJ18

almost forgot...scores/stats below

Prior service: E-6/TSgt (E-7 select for January) USAF
Degree: Bachelors of Science in Aerospace (STEM Degree)
GPA: 3.75 Magna Cum Laude
ASTB-E: 38 4/7/4 (First Attempt, This might be why I was a maybe or moved for further review)
EPR's: Straight 5's (USAF)
PT: Excellent 65 Push-ups 1 min, 62 sit-ups 1 min, 1 1/2 mile 8:53
LOR's: 4 from O-6 Commanders USAF, 2 O-5's and 2 O-4's
Prior Submission - 14 NOV 16 PRO REC "Maybe" for SNA (was informed that I was pushed up for further review)
MEPS: Cleared
Age Waiver: Approved
PPL 63 hrs
AFOQT Scores: 96 Pilot, 89 Nav, 7 AA, 7 Verbal, 11 Qaunt (I'm not very good at Standardized testing haha)
TBAS Score: 76
3 Deployments and numerous medals and achievements.

Overall, I wanted to retake the OAR/ASTB-E however, my recruiter considers me a unique candidate and wanted me to submit what I have. We shall see what this board says. Hopefully it really is the whole person concept. I was told that my Degree is what trump's my OAR and that my 7 for the Pilot score is good. I think that if my score was a little higher I might have been selected but my recruiter thinks otherwise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Good luck everyone!

Los_23

Here are my stats, they changed a little.

Male/28/ AT1 (PO1/ E-6) (AW/SW/MTS)
Applying for NFO/Pilot/AMDO (Ultimate goal "Naval Officer")
OAR 50/5/6/7
A.S. In Aeronautics (gpa 3.0)
B.S. In Aeronautics with a Minor in Management (current gpa 3.18)
PRT excellent
Evals MP/EP/EP/P/EP(3of30)
Awards NAMx2, MOVSM
Interviews 2 CAPT (1310 & 1500 / COs), 2 CDR (1320/ COs) all 10's
JSOQx2; JSOYx1
7 LORs; 1 CAPT, 4 CDR, 1 LT, 1 Congressman

Good luck everybody!!!!

Last edited:

Bravo Kilo

almost forgot...scores/stats below

Prior service: E-6/TSgt (E-7 select for January) USAF
Degree: Bachelors of Science in Aerospace (STEM Degree)
GPA: 3.75 Magna Cum Laude
ASTB-E: 38 4/7/4 (First Attempt, This might be why I was a maybe or moved for further review)
EPR's: Straight 5's (USAF)
PT: Excellent 65 Push-ups 1 min, 62 sit-ups 1 min, 1 1/2 mile 8:53
LOR's: 4 from O-6 Commanders USAF, 2 O-5's and 2 O-4's
Prior Submission - 14 NOV 16 PRO REC "Maybe" for SNA (was informed that I was pushed up for further review)
MEPS: Cleared
Age Waiver: Approved
PPL 63 hrs
AFOQT Scores: 96 Pilot, 89 Nav, 7 AA, 7 Verbal, 11 Qaunt (I'm not very good at Standardized testing haha)
TBAS Score: 76
3 Deployments and numerous medals and achievements.

Overall, I wanted to retake the OAR/ASTB-E however, my recruiter considers me a unique candidate and wanted me to submit what I have. We shall see what this board says. Hopefully it really is the whole person concept. I was told that my Degree is what trump's my OAR and that my 7 for the Pilot score is good. I think that if my score was a little higher I might have been selected but my recruiter thinks otherwise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Good luck everyone!
Your AFOQT scores seem to heavily reflect your ASTB scores and 96 Pilot / 89 Nav is insanely good considering they are percentiles. Since you did well on those areas on both tests, it's not likely a fluke and you can probably do well again. If you do need to retake the ASTB to improve your OAR score, you know exactly what you need to study (math skills, mechanical comprehension, reading comprehension skills). I don't know how anyone can practice for the stuff with the joystick, but all of this stuff can definitely be practiced and there are lots of materials for it.

AJ18

Your AFOQT scores seem to heavily reflect your ASTB scores and 96 Pilot / 89 Nav is insanely good considering they are percentiles. Since you did well on those areas on both tests, it's not likely a fluke and you can probably do well again. If you do need to retake the ASTB to improve your OAR score, you know exactly what you need to study (math skills, mechanical comprehension, reading comprehension skills). I don't know how anyone can practice for the stuff with the joystick, but all of this stuff can definitely be practiced and there are lots of materials for it.
Thanks for the information. Oddly enough, I am a straight "A" student when it comes to Math and English. I just don't believe in standardized testing but unfortunately its not up to me and this is a measuring device for candidates and their possible success rate in training. I will be retaking the AFOQT hopefully soon. As for the OAR/ASTB-E, my recruiter thinks otherwise. With this last board, they did not give me the option to retest, they simple moved my package to the next board (basically not selecting me but also not rejecting me). I am unable to retest or do anything with it since they just sent it forth. Good Luck!