• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1st LT Mark Andrew Gelegan (VMFA-121), Lost during FCLP, 16 Oct 1990

maxsonic

This Memorial Day weekend, we are thinking about a Hanford High School Classmate, Mark Gelegan, who later joined the Marine Corps and became a F/A-18 pilot. Mark was lost 16 Oct 1990 while conducting FCLP off San Clemente Island, while attached to VMFA-121 at MCAS El Toro.

I don't have any pictures of Mark while he was in the Marine Corps. I'm hoping an AirWarrior reading this has a connection to Marines who were attached to II MAW / VMFA-121 in the 1989-1990 timeframe. If you do have contacts, please PM me...his High School Classmates would like to get more details (pictures!) so can celebrate his life and service to our Country.

Semper Fi Mark, RIP.

MAX

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This Memorial Day weekend, we are thinking about a Hanford High School Classmate, Mark Gelegan, who later joined the Marine Corps and became a F/A-18 pilot. Mark was lost 16 Oct 1990 while conducting FCLP off San Clemente Island, while attached to VMFA-121 at MCAS El Toro.

I don't have any pictures of Mark while he was in the Marine Corps. I'm hoping an AirWarrior reading this has a connection to Marines who were attached to II MAW / VMFA-121 in the 1989-1990 timeframe. If you do have contacts, please PM me...his High School Classmates would like to get more details (pictures!) so can celebrate his life and service to our Country.

Semper Fi Mark, RIP.

MAX
Nice post Max, I'd like to help out, but unfortunately. you are the only Hanford "Bullpup" grad I know.

As to San Clemente OLF, I never performed night FCLP at SC, but did bingo there several times to refuel during night CQ. At that time, the island was unpopulated except for the small detachment at the airfield & 1000s of goats! It was far enough distant from the mainland coast that the only clear ground light reference, was the duty runway lights. I personally would have preferred not to bounce there at night, as I believe the continuing turns downwind after liftoff, I think would tend to be vertigo inducing. I have no knowledge of the particular facts in this loss. Not to speculate, but it's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the OP post, just sayin'!:confused:
BzB

RIP 1/Lt Gelegan!:(

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I'm sorry for your loss, Max. Sometimes it can be comforting to believe in a partially determinist world; I mean, sometimes it really does seem like there is nothing anyone could have done to have changed the outcome. Still, a shadow, or memory does not replace the person.

I'm thankful for those who made it back in spite of the odds.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I remember that they tried to do the fake CV-1 to the NUC just about every boat class we had at VMFAT-101. My class was scheduled, and like every other one that I ever heard about, it was cnx'd for weather, and we just bounced at Miramar instead. Would have been good training. I also heard that in the old days (or maybe not that old), Oceana used to have scheduled periods where they would shut down normal arrivals, and make everyone come home via the marshall stack/CV-1 for RAG and controller training.....don't know if there is any truth to that as it was before my time if it happened. Anyway, sorry for your loss!