• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 18 SEP 17 | IWC Board

Vincent

Checking in.

Sent my application last Saturday. Currently Deployed. Will be my first board. Will not stop applying until I make it.

Going for IP from the fleet.

Vincent

Unfortunately, no to the first two; am an IT with extensive both in rate experience and civilian experience prior to joining. While it's good to be realistic about things, I have read enough threads discouraging me from applying or even bothering, I will still continue improving until I get selected.

*edit* - I do have one question regarding waivers themselves. If there is an error or something needed to be changed, do you just send the waiver itself or do you resubmit the package with the waiver?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Unfortunately, no to the first two; am an IT with extensive both in rate experience and civilian experience prior to joining. While it's good to be realistic about things, I have read enough threads discouraging me from applying or even bothering, I will still continue improving until I get selected.

*edit* - I do have one question regarding waivers themselves. If there is an error or something needed to be changed, do you just send the waiver itself or do you resubmit the package with the waiver?

Unless they can find a way to make an exception everything has to be sent in at once.

The median GPA of those selected is right around 3.5 and really the only thing you can do if your GPA is lower than that is to earn a Masters, IP is a very competitive designator, sometimes they have had no quota, sometimes it is a handful.

Vincent

I find it curious that they'd look at something almost a decade old as more relevant and indicative of anything over the interview appraisals, high OAR, military record, actual in rate and out of rate experience, certifications, and letters of recommendation. However, I do appreciate the info. I will learn from this board and get ahead of preparing a reconsideration package after some potential interviews and completing more certifications.

Vincent

It won't let me edit that last post for some reason - However I'd like to point out that an old GPA while my show understanding on basic theories in someone early 20s, I am hoping that there are other ways to show that someone understands the building blocks and how systems may change over the next next generation of technology. I believe that understanding the fundamentals of Networking and Communications (Radio side) will benefit and I make that clear in my package.

As you said though, I will be looking towards getting a masters if the GPA holds back everything.

exNavyOffRec

I find it curious that they'd look at something almost a decade old as more relevant and indicative of anything over the interview appraisals, high OAR, military record, actual in rate and out of rate experience, certifications, and letters of recommendation. However, I do appreciate the info. I will learn from this board and get ahead of preparing a reconsideration package after some potential interviews and completing more certifications.

They need to be able to compare one person's application against another, while there are items that will make a straight across comparison not perfect the big items they can compare are GPA, degree, and OAR.

The advantage for a person who is enlisted and great in their job is they have other options, such as LDO.

Ronin88

It won't let me edit that last post for some reason - However I'd like to point out that an old GPA while my show understanding on basic theories in someone early 20s, I am hoping that there are other ways to show that someone understands the building blocks and how systems may change over the next next generation of technology. I believe that understanding the fundamentals of Networking and Communications (Radio side) will benefit and I make that clear in my package.

As you said though, I will be looking towards getting a masters if the GPA holds back everything.

That is all well and good and yes you make a valid and strong point, however it doesn't matter. You are already in the Navy so you should already know that the Navy doesn't really care if the system as a whole is fair to one specific individual they care if it fair to the majority. GPA is a large factor in getting selected (and especially having a STEM degree) and so is your OAR. If you are a prior they do like when you have good NECs in fields they care about and I am sure IP would also like you to have some good certs such as CCNA, CISSP and so on. The fact that you are currently and IT and you are going for IP will also help I am sure but it will not seal the deal. Try hard with what you can and don't give up. Good luck!

Vincent

CISSP is the one I'm working on now! It's not even that difficult. Sec+ was more annoying. We're trying to get a guy up in Yokosuka to come down to us and do a test for a lot of ITs and CTs that I've gotten in a study group. I will also be applying to a few Masters Programs. Like you said, never give up. Going to keep improving this package and adding to it every baord. Thanks for the advice.

ichneumonidae

Checking in here. Applying SWO-Oceano as my second choice. I know this is a very competitive community so hoping the whole-person concept shines through. If I do not Pro-Rec this (or the Supply) board I will be retaking my OAR and hopefully secure more Oceano-related LORs. Good luck to everyone!

ScrtSqrl

Checking in here. Applying SWO-Oceano as my second choice. I know this is a very competitive community so hoping the whole-person concept shines through. If I do not Pro-Rec this (or the Supply) board I will be retaking my OAR and hopefully secure more Oceano-related LORs. Good luck to everyone!
I'd bounce the idea off @RUFiO181 and @NavyOffRec but I'm sure they'd say there's no need to retake your OAR. A 60 is a more than solid score.

ichneumonidae

With a 60 OAR score I would highly advise not retaking. Improve everything else on your application.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will keep that in mind moving forward.

I'd bounce the idea off @RUFiO181 and @NavyOffRec but I'm sure they'd say there's no need to retake your OAR. A 60 is a more than solid score.
Thank you very much for the heads up. Fellow Florida university graduate here.. congrats on the recent PROREC!

Last edited: