• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

17 July 2011

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Ready to go, can't wait for the summer to get here already...who else is going to be there?

FYI I went ahead and created a Facebook group US Navy OCS 17 July 2011, if you guys are in the class or one just before or after feel free to join up.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Tentative date is 17 JUL 2011. Can't wait to just graduate and go! Then again I suppose we should enjoy our time left as civis.

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
I am 17 July 2011 BDCP SNA as well. Very excited to move on with my life. I'm tired of waiting and just want to get there...but I am enjoying the BDCP money while it lasts. Hope we can get to know eachother somewhat before arriving. FYI, I am prior active Army and Navy Reserves so I can answer any general military questions if you guys have any.

NTXRockr

Awesome to have you Flyboy, we definitely will have to get together in Newport the day or two before. I'm still hoping to find someone else near TX that wants to carpool up, as I'm definitely driving up to OCS. Good luck to everyone with our last two semesters between now and then, I'm already eager to take this round of finals and get it over with...

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
Well I am no subject matter expert by any means...and if I said I was, I would probably be banned from this site:) but I did go through Army Basic Training and a few enlisted schools with the Navy. Military in general is pretty much the same when it comes training. There is the initial shock and awe to weed the weak minded people out, and then its hard work till the end. OCS will be tough, but their goal isn't for everyone to fail, they are just trying to break you down so they can build you back up. I added myself to the Facebook page and hopefully we can get to know each other in the next coming 8 months.

CalPolyPilot

It seems like it has been forever since I signed my BDCP contract and now OCS is only months away. Anyhow, who all else has an OCS date in July?

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
17 JULY Here! Look for the facebook group, and I think NTXRocker or someone had started a thread for 17 july already. If the mods browse past this and could merge that'd be cool.

NTXRockr

Yep that I did...and yes I'm already stir crazy to finish up and get to business. It's even worse that I was originally going to grad this December and had an OCS date of 1 Jan 2011, but since the NE has been getting all that snow I'm glad to wait until the summer.

BTW I also started a Facebook page for the class date, so feel free to add yourself so we and our friends, family, etc can get to know each other and keep in touch while we're having fun in Newport.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Welcome Aboard! A fellow soon to be SNFO, sounds good. What are the odds we have a class without SWOs? ( I kid ofcourse :D )

BUDU

Well, you never know.

There's somebody else at Bucknell with the same class date...for some reason my recruiters and processor didn't think to introduce us. I think he's a CivE. I plan to track him down when I get back on campus.

NTXRockr

I was wondering if we might all be BDCP, but the odds that we'll all be aviation types, etc would be hard to do. How many start in a class again? There's bound to be some SWO's to keep us in line LOL.

The only reason I could see that we all are BDCP is if they put academy grads into Pensacola before us - say, from June through October - and then by the time the BDCP ensigns from May, June and July commission the training pipeline would be fairly open for them, followed by the DA guys coming to Newport in the summer/fall...and so on. The logistics would be fickle, but you have to think they know we and the academy guys are graduating in May so they'd send them to IFS/API first, then BDCP'ers, and the rest of the year would be open to DA guys.

Either way, it doesn't matter really. If we get through without a hitch, we commission 08 OCT and hopefully get to PCOLA quick. With any luck, I hope to get in and out of API by Christmas break (roughly 10 weeks in between with a few days for travel down)...wishful thinking???

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Wishful thinking indeed, but you never know. Through API by Christmas would be very nice, however, I have a friend going through OCS starting 7 August so it'd be nice to do flight school with him, again, wishful thinking?

NTXRockr

I started flying and working on my PPL this month, so as long as I get it I shouldn't have to do IFS, which is 3 weeks of extra work out of the way. If for some reason I can't get classed up quickly I would prefer to do IFS, as it's better to fly and get paid than to just get paid and do a stash job or wait around for nothing. I may bring one of our own planes with me so I would get to fly regardless, but still it'd be nice to be flying something on official business.

As far as getting in flight school with your friend, it depends on when we all get classed up. If we have to wait for a class and he comes straight out into class, it's plausible that we'd all be in the same batch. But if we go 4 weeks after commissioning/API/etc and he goes 4 weeks after, I don't know what interaction you'd have with him other than being on the same base. But I've wondered that too, as I have some friends coming out of the academy this year, and some already in Navy and Marine aviation, and it's possible that we'd be in flight school together and/or on the boat at the same time.