• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

12 JUN 17 IWC Board

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Hey there! After searching, I saw there wasn't a thread for this specific board yet so I thought I'd make one. Our deadline for this board is 15 MAY. I've missed numerous boards so I'm jittery with excitement over this one. Good luck everyone! :)

App2123

Missed the March board (definitely not my fault) so I'm moving on to this batch. From what I've gathered, this board is for the beginning of FY 18.

Let the waiting game begin!

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
The board schedule that RUFiO posted says this board is for FY17/18 quotas. It appears as if the IWC boards exclusively picking FY18 quotas begins with the 18SEP one.

exNavyOffRec

The board schedule that RUFiO posted says this board is for FY17/18 quotas. It appears as if the IWC boards exclusively picking FY18 quotas begins with the 18SEP one.

correct, and given how IWC has worked in the past it is very probable that many of those from the last board will be FY 18 as well.

ScrtSqrl

Checking in for this board as well. First application to an IW board. Good luck & thanks for creating this thread.

exNavyOffRec

Checking in for this board as well. First application to an IW board. Good luck & thanks for creating this thread.

You have a decent GPA but you degree is run of the mill so if you don't make it this time you should think about applying for SWO if your main desire is to be an officer, or if you only want to be in the IWC field then look at LDO when you are eligible.

ScrtSqrl

You have a decent GPA but you degree is run of the mill so if you don't make it this time you should think about applying for SWO if your main desire is to be an officer, or if you only want to be in the IWC field then look at LDO when you are eligible.

I’ve had a few buddies who had to go that route (with an eventual lat-transfer in mind). That option is definitely on the “front burner” depending on how the next two boards go. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t come down to that!

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
I posted this in the upcoming SWO board thread, but not all of you are also applying there so I'll post it here too. It's a bit early as the board hasn't even convened yet, but I have recorded the most up-to-date Appendix B in .mp3 if anyone is interested. I promise my voice isn't annoying haha. Auditory retention is a big one and I have a 30 minute drive to work every morning so I figured others may be interested as well. Let me know and I'll figure out how to share .mp3 files with you all :).

chaotic_quixotic

Due to a misunderstanding, I found out today my application was submitted for the June board instead of the March one. So checking in :)

Last edited:

Ronin88

Checking in! First time applying to OCS, I have been working on my package for months! I have been told by my command I have a really good shot at getting picked up, hopefully the board members agree. Trying not to get my hopes up too much just in case I need to submit again. Good luck to everyone!

exNavyOffRec

Checking in! First time applying to OCS, I have been working on my package for months! I have been told by my command I have a really good shot at getting picked up, hopefully the board members agree. Trying not to get my hopes up too much just in case I need to submit again. Good luck to everyone!

CW picks nearly all technical degree, same for SWO-CW and that is IF they have any spots and that is often a very big IF.

Given your high GPA you should put INTEL 1st and SWO 2nd, if you took calculus and calc based physics you could put CW 1st instead of INTEL

Ronin88

CW picks nearly all technical degree, same for SWO-CW and that is IF they have any spots and that is often a very big IF.

Given your high GPA you should put INTEL 1st and SWO 2nd, if you took calculus and calc based physics you could put CW 1st instead of INTEL

I appreciate your suggestions, I also have multiple NECs that may help me get selected including INC F (9161) and Intermediate Signals Analysis (9147). I was also lucky enough to score in the 99th percentile when I tested for both CTR3 and CTR2. Honestly CW is the dream job, I really love being a CT and would like to stay in the field if possible. At least on my first try I am going to shoot for CW, though I may change my second choice to IP. My degree has been assessed by the Navy as a technical degree in Computer/ Information Science so I don't think that will hinder me too much, but it may. Also 2 of my 3 interviews were by 1810's both of which scored me 10/10, one of which was the DIWC and the Second a CRC.

That being said you are probably right, I know there are flaws with my package, my OAR could be higher of course, and I would have been better of with an engineering degree, but I have to try. Of course the over all goal is to become a Naval Officer in any field, but like I said, dream job. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my profile and for reaching out!

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate your suggestions, I also have multiple NECs that may help me get selected including INC F (9161) and Intermediate Signals Analysis (9147). I was also lucky enough to score in the 99th percentile when I tested for both CTR3 and CTR2. Honestly CW is the dream job, I really love being a CT and would like to stay in the field if possible. At least on my first try I am going to shoot for CW, though I may change my second choice to IP. My degree has been assessed by the Navy as a technical degree in Computer/ Information Science so I don't think that will hinder me too much, but it may. Also 2 of my 3 interviews were by 1810's both of which scored me 10/10, one of which was the DIWC and the Second a CRC.

That being said you are probably right, I know there are flaws with my package, my OAR could be higher of course, and I would have been better of with an engineering degree, but I have to try. Of course the over all goal is to become a Naval Officer in any field, but like I said, dream job. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my profile and for reaching out!

Unfortunately some of the worst info we have seen here and in recruiting comes from peoples commands because they go with what they believe, not what the board has selected and that has led many an applicant down a road of non-selection and delaying them getting a commission.

The board looks at degrees and GPA's first and foremost, NEC's are great for enlisted but they don't matter as an officer, they also don't care about how you did on advancement exams. I am not surprised you did that well given you GPA, you know how to study.

While the USN may have said your degree is technical that isn't what the boards define it by, unless it has calc and calc based physics it doesn't help, I had a Business Management major or something close to that get CW, but he had over a year of calc and physics in his background.

Your OAR is fine, your OAR doesn't get you selected.

I get you want to stay in your field, and that you would feel IP would be a another good option, but board statistics don't lie, those that have a non tech degree (no calc and physics) have either no selections for those designators or low selections, and a low selection when the overall selection rate is less than 10% isn't good.

I would also consider the fact that if you get a no you will need to redo your entire application, I would strongly encourage you to go for INTEL if you want to stay in IWC @RUFiO181 may have further insights from the most recent board.