• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

08 Dec 2013

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
I received my final select letter yesterday. This trend is for all those going to OCS on the 8th of Dec., so we may cordinate, get to know each other and ask any questions we might have.

Looking forward to seeing all of you!!!

eddieoctane

I'm going to be headed up from Jacksonville, NC. Not exactly sure how I'm going to get there. It's a hike to say the least, but a ticket to Providence and cab fare to the base is probably twice what I would spend on gas.

eddieoctane

How do you plan to store your car. I was thinking about just putting a cover on it but I've been advise not to.

Car covers have a tendency to trap moisture, which can cause paint discoloration and a surprising rust. A covered vehicle also doesn't easily show any signs of vandalism, so leaving it that way has all sorts of risks. The (theoretically) best option for storage would be to rent a storage locker big enough to fit your car, as it would stay dry, relatively temperature controlled, and more secure than almost any other alternative. Getting from said storage yard to base becomes an issue, however, as does bringing the car into base later. After all, part of the point of having a car is being able to drive somewhere once you get liberty. I'm not sure how copasetic it would be to suddenly need to bring a car onto base on week 7 or 9. Plus, from what I've seen around here, there's benefits of having your car on base even before you get liberty. So off-base storage is likely a non-starter for me.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
Car covers have a tendency to trap moisture, which can cause paint discoloration and a surprising rust. A covered vehicle also doesn't easily show any signs of vandalism, so leaving it that way has all sorts of risks. The (theoretically) best option for storage would be to rent a storage locker big enough to fit your car, as it would stay dry, relatively temperature controlled, and more secure than almost any other alternative. Getting from said storage yard to base becomes an issue, however, as does bringing the car into base later. After all, part of the point of having a car is being able to drive somewhere once you get liberty. I'm not sure how copasetic it would be to suddenly need to bring a car onto base on week 7 or 9. Plus, from what I've seen around here, there's benefits of having your car on base even before you get liberty. So off-base storage is likely a non-starter for me.
Thanks for the word of advice. I was also advice that the car storage would be the best bet. Hopefully there is one within a reasonable distance, but honestly I would rather have it parked on base. As far as getting the car on base, that is not an issue as I'm currently active duty(even though they did away with base decals).

eddieoctane

Thanks for the word of advice. I was also advice that the car storage would be the best bet. Hopefully there is one within a reasonable distance, but honestly I would rather have it parked on base. As far as getting the car on base, that is not an issue as I'm currently active duty(even though they did away with base decals).

From what I understand, it's not showing up with your own car on day one that's the issue, it's suddenly needing to park a vehicle with all the other candidates halfway through OCS that may raise some eyebrows. I got the impression that if you drive up and don't mind leaving your car out in the weather, there won't likely be any issues.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
Yeah that's something I don't want. I don't want it exposed to the elements (especially after looking at the average highs/lows from Dec-Mar) and me not being able to do anything about it. I need to make a decision though because once orders are cut I'll have to put my mode of transportation on my transfer package.

NU'13

First of all I am also a member of this class and look forward to seeing you all in Newport.

Yeah that's something I don't want. I don't want it exposed to the elements (especially after looking at the average highs/lows from Dec-Mar) and me not being able to do anything about it. I need to make a decision though because once orders are cut I'll have to put my mode of transportation on my transfer package.
You guys really don't need to worry about leaving your car outside all that much... I went to College in Vermont and my Car was parked outside through the winter. Car was completely fine. On really cold days (below zero) it occasionally had trouble starting up, but other then that it was fine. The salt on the roads will do far more damage then the temp and the snow falling on them.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You guys really don't need to worry about leaving your car outside all that much... I went to College in Vermont and my Car was parked outside through the winter. Car was completely fine. On really cold days (below zero) it occasionally had trouble starting up, but other then that it was fine. The salt on the roads will do far more damage then the temp and the snow falling on them.
Well it's a bit different, because your cars probably won't be moving at all for the first few weeks. So if it snows a lot, snow gets under the car, evaporates up, and could lead to rust on the underside of your car. Plus I had a few friends whose batteries died because they hadn't started them up for a few weeks (this was over the summer though, it's possible that the cold weather could help the batteries hold a charge better). I was fine with leaving my truck out over the summer, but I would've thought twice about wintertime, especially since they're parked right next to the water. If you can get it covered, that should be fine, as long as the cover goes all the way down to the ground.
Or if it's an old car, just roll the dice, and if it rusts out, get yourself a shiny new Ensign-mobile once you graduate.

eddieoctane

Well it's a bit different, because your cars probably won't be moving at all for the first few weeks. So if it snows a lot, snow gets under the car, evaporates up, and could lead to rust on the underside of your car. Plus I had a few friends whose batteries died because they hadn't started them up for a few weeks (this was over the summer though, it's possible that the cold weather could help the batteries hold a charge better). I was fine with leaving my truck out over the summer, but I would've thought twice about wintertime, especially since they're parked right next to the water. If you can get it covered, that should be fine, as long as the cover goes all the way down to the ground.
Or if it's an old car, just roll the dice, and if it rusts out, get yourself a shiny new Ensign-mobile once you graduate.

Covers can (though not always) trap moisture, which could cause damage to the finish and even surface rust. In my experience, leaving a car cover out in the elements still requires taking it off on occasion for any trapped moisture to dry out. Being unable to get to your car even to do that could still pose a problem if you have a decent ride.

We need someone with experience to answer us if digging a vehicle out of the snow is an option after a heavy snowfall.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Covers can (though not always) trap moisture, which could cause damage to the finish and even surface rust. In my experience, leaving a car cover out in the elements still requires taking it off on occasion for any trapped moisture to dry out. Being unable to get to your car even to do that could still pose a problem if you have a decent ride.
You will (or should) eventually get POV privileges, usually about a few weeks in, on average. If you tell your class team that you'd like to do that (through your president, of course), they may let you make a run earlier. But neither of those are set in stone, so you might be rolling the dice in that regard.

We need someone with experience to answer us if digging a vehicle out of the snow is an option after a heavy snowfall.
Depends. It'd be easier if you had a cover over it, since you can just sweep it right off, but like you mentioned, it might trap moisture. If you have a pick-up, it's a humongous PITA to scoop all the snow out of the bed if it fills up, so a cover (or a tonneau) would help there.
What I now wonder is if the plow goes through there every so often when it's snowing, and if so, would they be burying the cars as they pass. Probably only a real concern if there's a really heavy snowfall or if it's snowing for an extended amount of time.

...And now I'm wondering if the SUYA is modified in the winter so that you're getting "snow up your a**" instead.