• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

naval aviation

1. T

Black & white striped, 37” tailhook with XXD markings

My deceased Father was bequeathed a tailhook by a Naval aviator friend who served in both WW2 & Korea. Is there any means of determining the aircraft to which the above-described tailhook would have been associated? Thank you.
  2. gatechfan28

Mental Health/NAMI/Med Boards…. for a friend.

Off the record, for a friend, of course. I’m trying to get some information regarding processes for being DQ’d while on flight status (Tactical Jets). Long story short, there’s a high probability that “my friend” has been diagnosed with “Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Severe” as well as...
  3. G

USN What else do I need to do to get into USNA

Hello, one my goals as a sophomore in high school right now is to get accepted into the naval academy. I just wanted to make this post to show a bit of a resume and ask questions, and hopefully get some good feedback so I can have more of a plan. So, for some background the reason I would like...
  4. Edge47

Naval Pilot applications on hold?

Just heard from my recruiter that Pilot applications might be on hold and he’ll probably know more next week. Has anyone else heard the same?
  5. R

OCC-242/OCC-243 SNA BOARD

Hey y'all, I've been spending a decent amount of time perusing the Navy OCS thread and realized there wasn't one for USMC. Is anyone on here a Naval Aviator candidate in the Marine Officer program submitting to this upcoming board? I'm hoping to be selected and head to OCC-242 on January 14th...
  6. mcneillaviation

Seeking advice

Hello everyone and happy Independence Day! I recently found out that I may not be able to complete my high school diploma due to a TMJ jaw issue im having. The issue will be resolved with surgery and it won’t disqualify me from joining, but my attendance record will be heavily impacted. I’m...
  7. foobiesfooted

Advice

Hey all. I’m 17. I’ve recently started thinking about enlisting and following my childhood dream of being a naval aviator. I realized I wouldn’t be able to pay for my college at all so I decided to rethink my decision on staying out of the military. Trying to get some advice on what I should...
  8. mcneillaviation

Why did you enlist and pursue aviation?

Title, just wondering why y’all decided on this path. Was it a dream? Was it the benefits that sold you? What brought you to this career path?
  9. C

Enlisted to OCS applicant help

I was hoping someone can help me with some information in order to begin my process. I am an AD2 and I am looking to put in for AMDO. I will be finishing my degree in 6 months in Aeronautical Science and I want to have my package put together and hopefully start my boards by the time I am done...
  10. mcneillaviation

Anyone who was apart of VFA-211 can explain this?

For context, I do planespotting and aviation photography. I recently was at my airport, KCOS/Peterson AFB and I saw some F/A-18Es. My pictures weren’t super detailed on the markings but I saw that they were both from VFA-24, which is pretty odd considering VFA-24 dissolved in the 90’s and never...
  11. mcneillaviation

Is there anything I can do to guarantee a pilot slot in the Navy?

I heard OCS can guarantee a pilot slot unless something is found that you can qualify, is this true? I may just save my money about getting my PPL since the Navy doesn’t really care about it. I’m really passionate about Naval Aviation and I’m very determined to fly jets, let me know if there’s...
  12. mcneillaviation

What were the steps to becoming a naval aviator?

I’m trying to create a list of the steps that people have taken to become a naval aviator. While becoming an aviator may not be something you can just turn into a list, if anyone is able to kinda turn their journey into a list, I would love to hear it. So far, I’ve written down: 1. private...
  13. mcneillaviation

Were y’all happy as naval aviators?

Title. After all your training and after your wing pinning ceremony, were y’all happy? How long did y’all continue flying before retirement? What are some things you wish you did differently? Do you have any regrets about being an aviator? Thank you so much for your time and answering my questions.
  14. B

USN Are younger applicants preferred over older ones when becoming a naval aviator?

As I'm probably not gonna get my US citizenship any time soon.
  15. B

Becoming a U.S. Navy Pilot as a Foreigner?

Hello, I'm a student from Austria and I would like to become a U.S. navy pilot, which requires me to become a navy officer. That of course requires me to attain a U.S. citizenship, which I don't have. Now, before I go on trying to do that, I would like to ask if there are any navy officers of...
  16. Chris94

Switching aircraft

I've heard of several AF pilots who switch aircraft throughout their careers. Is this a common practice for Navy guys as well?
  17. Saucebaus

Is ptosis something to be concerned about?

Hello, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place. I'm a former enlisted Marine finishing up my last year in college. I'm currently competing for a Marine air contract. I was born with ptosis of my right eyelid. It doesn't affect my vision at all but is definitely noticeable...
  18. PilotEngineer

Aviation Officer Candidate School Program

I am a sophomore at Cornell University majoring in mechanical engineering. I plan to graduate with at least a 3.2 GPA then I will continue to do my one year's masters in Aerospace Engineering also at Cornell before applying for OCS. I've already started taking flight lessons and I am projected...
  19. S

USN 2/1/2018

Hi all, had a quick question. I was curious of steps to become a naval aviator. I'm an accounting major with 3.8 (top of my class) healthy, perfect eye sight, no criminal record. So, basically no waivers. I was curious what steps to follow and my chances. Also, i'm 6'2 170 white male. With that...
  20. G

Navy SEAL to aviator

Hello everyone. So I've had an interest in aviation for as long as I can remember and I currently hold a private glider license and almost have my private power license at age 19. I have also been a competitive swimmer for 10 years and enjoy being an athlete. I like both the special warfare...
  21. Future Pilot619

Changed My Mind From Joining USMC to Joining USN

Hey everyone! So this may sound odd, but I have decided to try and become an officer in the Navy instead of being an officer in the Marine Corps. I was researching what is favorable to the selection boards in NROTC units for mid's that want to become Naval Aviator's and how/when to go about...
  22. D

Best path to take to become an astronaut?

This is my first post so I just want to start off by thanking all of you for your service. So, here's my dilemma. I'm 17 at a technical high school and going to be applying to Purdue Univeristy for aerospace engineering in a couple of months. I have a 2100 SAT and a 95+ GPA so I think I have a...
  23. ea6bflyr

30th Anniversary of Top Gun

Great article about Top Gun and our love/hate relationship with the movie. Written by two Fighter guys.