• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Apple discount for veterans and active military

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a new discount offered for vets and active military on Apple products through apple.com. I think it's 10%.
https://www.apple.com/us_epp_805199/shop

S/F,

Doc

I ordered a new Mini through their regular Federal EPP program....about 5 days before they announced this. I called and asked Apple if they could just credit me the difference (which wasn't insignificant). Nope, I have to reorder. But they were very helpful in setting up a return even before I got it.
Got the first Mini today and will return it when I get off work next week...which should also be the day the second Mini will be waiting for me.

Silliness, but the discount is definitely better than the previous one.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I ordered a new Mini through their regular Federal EPP program....about 5 days before they announced this. I called and asked Apple if they could just credit me the difference (which wasn't insignificant). Nope, I have to reorder. But they were very helpful in setting up a return even before I got it.
Got the first Mini today and will return it when I get off work next week...which should also be the day the second Mini will be waiting for me.

Silliness, but the discount is definitely better than the previous one.
Have you looked at buying a refurb unit? Depending on the spec you’re looking for they’re the best deal around.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Have you looked at buying a refurb unit? Depending on the spec you’re looking for they’re the best deal around.

Got your PM. Normally I agree, the new Minis are so new they don't have the refurbs yet.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apple has long had a site for government employees, which I've used in the past in the military as well, and I checked the prices on that site ~3 weeks ago for MacBook Air we've been thinking of getting and the base model was $850 (after the latest versions were introduced). I check this new military site out and the price is $900, not as good a deal...until I go back to the govie site and where they are now $939. Nice one Apple. :rolleyes:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I like the Dell gov site, because it's just a simple % discount.
Apple definitely does some fishy stuff. What appears at first to be a major discount is really a MacBook pro with lower than base specs (smaller HDD, less RAM, etc.) I've used it twice to by the wife's notebook, but I'm always careful.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the past, the Government EPP site wouldn't discount iOS devices, only Macs. Apparently on the Military EPP site, iOS devices are now discounted, as well. I didn't go in and check by how much.

Interesting to hear they changed the price on the G-EPP site, Flash. That didn't happen with the Mini, just the Mil-EPP site price brought it lower.

AULANI

The NEX has good prices on Mac's plus no sales tax. I'd have to do the math to figure out which is the better deal. I am in the market to replace my 2007 iMac lol.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Keep an eye out for when B&H has sales on Macs as well - usually you can find last year's models discounted by $300 or more.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The NEX has good prices on Mac's plus no sales tax. I'd have to do the math to figure out which is the better deal. I am in the market to replace my 2007 iMac lol.

In this case, the macs are 10%, so at least in FL, you're still getting 3% off. Plus if you want to customize anything, the NEX can't help, which is why this new EPP was a great find.

Keep an eye out for when B&H has sales on Macs as well - usually you can find last year's models discounted by $300 or more.

B&H also offers a discount to active duty. They don't advertise it, and you have to create a separate login with your .mil email address, but if they have what you're looking for, it can save some cash. You just have to make sure you check your work email throughout the day because the confirmation email expires not long after you place the order.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

+1 on this. Usually a few hundred off plus no sales tax.

Break Break

I've had my eyes on an Apple Watch Series 4 for a few months, and the Military Purchase Program is the first deal I've seen on them. Even with local sales tax added in, it's the best deal I've seen. Obviously keep your ear to the ground. 9to5toys.com usually has a good listing of Apple Deals, updated daily.

Of note, the NEX is a good option and will price match a few places (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, off hand). Check their website for details, but matching Best Buy sales plus no tax is a good start. Amazon is also now an "Apple authorized reseller" (before Apple gear on there was from third parties and somewhat suspect). Since Cyber Monday they've been running a few deals, but they charge tax now.

@Flash The previous generation MacBook Air regularly goes on sales to $799. I'd wait for that level if you're in the market, but it's effectively a 4 year old computer.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the past, the Government EPP site wouldn't discount iOS devices, only Macs. Apparently on the Military EPP site, iOS devices are now discounted, as well. I didn't go in and check by how much.

Good point