• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TFOA in Okinawa

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
The obvious answer is to remove all cockpit windows. Next question?

As per usual, windows will be secured for all helicopters operating in Japan until the media calms down. Then windows will be phased back in on a limited basis while we choke down a bunch of window training. But rest assured: As soon as windows are unrestricted again, another one will come soaring down onto a ramen shop the morning of the announcement.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
How often do windows fall off? Or was this just a super unlucky event?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It happens - not infrequently, especially in helos. Emergency exit windows and doors especially so - I remember Safety Center did analysis (ok this is a long time ago) and it correlated with Phase Maint inspections where windows were tested for emergency egress release and reinstalled/reset.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I remember hearing about a -53 that tried a split-S when I was in flight school. Apparently all the windows came off.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Way back when...in 1983...when I was in Pensacola for AOCS and VT-10, they had a CH-53 rework facility on the NAS. We used to see CH-53s doing loops all the time as part of their test flights after rework.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
On the crash loop at the P'cola O'Club they had a video of a CH-53 doing the roll in this video, apparently it was part of a sales pitch to Japan.

Way back when...in 1983...when I was in Pensacola for AOCS and VT-10, they had a CH-53 rework facility on the NAS. We used to see CH-53s doing loops all the time as part of their test flights after rework.

Badass. I do find it funny that maneuvers like that are ever included in a sales pitch, even though they have no bearing on the mission- kind of like the Boeing guy who did that iconic 707 aileron roll. But hey, you can't argue with salesmanship. :cool:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
If something has to fall off, better the window than the tail section - almost nothing you can do in this situation. (53's were noted in the past for the folding section being a weak link.)