• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

JackyB

Oh the old independent contractor game.

FYI : The IRS has some specific definitions for an independent contractor that have been validated in some employee and labor agency law suits. The IRS states..........
"The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct ONLY the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. The earnings of a person who is working as an independent contractor are subject to Self-Employment Tax.

You are Not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the services are performed.

Their plane, their uniforms, their schedules and their rules.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Wow, just read this article re: Ryan Air. Their management is beyond scummy. Pilots as “independent contractors”? Are you kidding me? Average labor costs below 2 Euro per flight hour?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/business/ryanair-pilots.html
If When they have a crash with a €2/hr crew then I'll be one of the people saying I told you so/saw this coming and saying that with a clear conscience.

This is like those ultra-discount bus lines that have a fiery crash and the investigation finds out things like the driver had a 5x revoked license (shocking).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Fuck yeah. Workers of the world unite!!

Yes, it's funny how people suddenly think the unfettered markets are bullshit when it comes to THEIR job.

"THAT job can be done by any loser. THAT GUY is lucky to have a job at all! MY job is really important!"

It's almost as if workers should be encouraged to organize in order to collectively bargain for better pay and conditions.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Is this the begining of the end for the scope clause?

http://aviationweek.com/crossover-n...r-believes-sc-will-keep-e175-sales-flowing-us

"There's a simple workaround for this problem of scope. Do the flying themselves. It's one thing to outsource business to a Third World country where people work for $.50 a day but airline jobs and employees in the US are staffed by Americans. In order for a regional airline to make a profit they have to pay their employees and either up-charge their customer or compromise the quality of the product to attain a profit.
As the three big remaining US carriers move forward, in order to grow their business, they really have no other option than to start doing the regional flying themselves and keep the profit for themselves.
At that point scope becomes irrelevant. They can fill the aircraft with seats, provide themselves with a steady stream of trained pilots, and generate even more revenue."

and

"Delta is already doing this by upgauging former 76 seat regional routes with 110 seat 717's and the CSeries eventually."

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not surprising that Delta is buying aircraft. Their average aircraft age is older than United and AA. Though all the majors are both renovating aircraft and purchasing new ones to differing degrees.

I’m interested in what routes we will get when our NEOs start showing up. Replacing existing metal running certain routes etc....

I’d rather see 350s start showing up on property of course.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Replacement for the mad dog (MD80 series)?

They were buying Bombardier C Series jets partially for that but Boeing cried foul and used their army of lawyers to slap a huge tariff on them. The 321neo is nearer to the 757 in terms of seats and range. 737MAX may have been an option for that but I wouldn’t be surprised if Delta wants to stick it to Boeing.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry to see the Queen of the Skies depart US passenger aviation.

The Boeing 747 'Jumbo Jet' Takes Its Final U.S. Commercial Flight This Week
https://jalopnik.com/the-boeing-747-jumbo-jet-takes-its-final-u-s-commercia-1821365922

piy7uotdfzglkrvvzxm0.jpg

The last flight will be Delta's Seoul to Detroit route, but it seemed appropriate to use an old Pan Am photo.