• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whidbey commutes and PNW Traffic Circle Esoterica

exNavyOffRec

I know someone that (allegedly) did Tacoma to Anacortes on a Friday afternoon a few months ago...in 1 hour flat. I...just...I don't...

I would do the drive from Kirkland to the Tacoma dome on a regular basis in 45 minutes with no traffic, so I doubt Tacoma to Anacortes in 1 hour is even possible.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I don’t know, didn’t someone leave a giant Gonzo face in the sky last week? Seems like he made an impression.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
People in the Pacific Northwest generally know how to use roundabouts correctly. They're actually quite popular up here, and they work.

Now, if we could just get the average Washington driver to a) drive the speed limit, not 10 under, and b) understand this foreign and highly esoteric concept called "keep right except to pass." Camping is to be done in the Cascades and Olympics, not the middle lane of I-5.

This, almost got into a really bad wreck on Monday on 20 coming back to Anacortes after making the left from Oak Harbor. Idiot in front of me didn't accelerate and was doing about 10 under, meanwhile all the cars behind us are passing on right. After a min or 2 he realizes he's an idiot and starts trying to move over and almost changes lanes right into someone passing him on the right.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But pickle to answer the rough commuting time questions, if the back gate is open, 25 minutes from Anacortes. If it's not and you have to trek to Charles Porter or the main gate, 35.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But pickle to answer the rough commuting time questions, if the back gate is open, 25 minutes from Anacortes. If it's not and you have to trek to Charles Porter or the main gate, 35.
Even as a (now former) Oak Harborite, I never understood why the hell they restrict the hours on the back gate. Half the damn base lives in Anacortes; why have three gates open to Oak Harbor and nothing pointing the other way?

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My favorite was last week when I showed up to the back gate at 0615 and it was closed when its supposed to open at 0600. I finally get through the main gate at 0645 and ask the gate guard why it was closed. He goes, well it's open now, because that's helpful.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even as a (now former) Oak Harborite, I never understood why the hell they restrict the hours on the back gate. Half the damn base lives in Anacortes; why have three gates open to Oak Harbor and nothing pointing the other way?
One word - manning. They're installing (maybe complete now) an automated system for swipe access 24/7.