• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi everyone! Long time lurker applying for HR DCO DEC17 board. Wondering who else is applying and stats.

E6 Navy LS 16 active/ 2 reserve
Successful small business owner.
LPO for years, most recently OSU leading 60 sailors.
BS degree STEM 3.5 gpa
Straight EP evals #1 of 5...
1 com,5 nams, 5 FLOCS, 15 gold wreaths for recruiting, military outstanding volunteer medal
Officer PME, command career counseler, command fitness leader.
Tomahawk Instructor 4 yrs
Navy Recruiter 5 yrs
2 Interviews w/ reserve HR captains. Both 10/10. Great LOR from current NOSC C.O. and old C.O. Who is now a rear admiral. I️ was his LPO.
Detractors - No Masters degree, YOS.

Who’s up?

No masters and no PHR/HR-related cert means you have a very slim chance of selection.

NAVYJOEGUY

Forgot to put that I have PHR. So it’s just a slim chance in hell, instead of very slim chance in hell. Lol. A chance none the less. 5 years recruiting and instructing they say helps a sailors career. There should be ALOT of prior service recruiters in here for production purposes. Great site.

Last edited:

calidude620

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. I was wondering if someone in the know could give me some insight on my chances/what to include next cycle if I miss out. My number one choice was Intel, and my number two was IW. My baseball card:

Prior Enlisted: ST/IT2
Degree: History/Clemson University
GPA: 3.45
OAR: 58
LOR: AF O-4, Employer, Close Friend

I know, I know, no STEM degree, embarrassing. However, I've been a professional network guy for 5 years on the civilian side although I'm not sure I sold that as much as I needed to after reading some posts on here. I personally thought I wrote a solid motivational statement, and I don't really have any other detrimental factors unless my age counts. I know my numbers could be higher, but I was wondering if my technical rates while serving might counter some of that. I've already submitted for the December board so here's to hoping. Any input or constructive criticism towards future applications is appreciated. I'm fishing for some assurances, as well as preparing for the worst. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. I was wondering if someone in the know could give me some insight on my chances/what to include next cycle if I miss out. My number one choice was Intel, and my number two was IW. My baseball card:

Prior Enlisted: ST/IT2
Degree: History/Clemson University
GPA: 3.45
OAR: 58
LOR: AF O-4, Employer, Close Friend

I know, I know, no STEM degree, embarrassing. However, I've been a professional network guy for 5 years on the civilian side although I'm not sure I sold that as much as I needed to after reading some posts on here. I personally thought I wrote a solid motivational statement, and I don't really have any other detrimental factors unless my age counts. I know my numbers could be higher, but I was wondering if my technical rates while serving might counter some of that. I've already submitted for the December board so here's to hoping. Any input or constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks.

Assuming you have MP or EP evals before you got out apply for SWO if you don't get Intel.

As for CW/IW, unless you're a prior CT or have a STEM degree it's slim pickings...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
well, given the people I have seen get selected USN HR I would have said slim to none and slim just walked out the door.

Fair enough. You guys know better than I. I think Rufio shits on people more often than necessary. And I get that people too often ask "what are my chances blah blah" but I think sometimes his response is unwarranted. Just don't answer the "what are my chances questions" like everyone else on the site.

For what its worth, my dealings with the Navy HR community have left me with nothing but a bad taste. They are terrible. As in should be eliminated as a designator and GS'ed or contracted out. I would think that someone with a strong track record of being what the Navy wants would be something the community would appreciate.

NAVYJOEGUY

As an HR DCO candidate and 5 year officer recruiter, as recruiters you must tell it how it is. I can see how it looks mean. You can’t be a good recruiter if you tip toe around people everyday. I know. I was called an a-hole many times from potential Navy applicants that couldn’t take the truth and then called their congressman. Lol. Good times. I wouldn’t of have applied if I didn’t have a chance and knew the odds. The only thing I’m missing is a masters degree. I do have a PHR, recruiting and instructor tours(hr core competency areas) and therefore a strong package. Chances ARE slim though, that is just a fact. If I make it, I make it. Better to think I won’t and then get a nice surprise.

Last edited:

BackOrdered

Contributor
Fair enough. You guys know better than I. I think Rufio shits on people more often than necessary. And I get that people too often ask "what are my chances blah blah" but I think sometimes his response is unwarranted. Just don't answer the "what are my chances questions" like everyone else on the site.

It is 9 years of water under the bridge for me, but I had a STEM degree with north of a 3.5 and got turned away from IW and Intel twice. I was told, "well at least you had a degree, the guys who don't were SOL." As age began to become a factor, I'd much rather have known what the hard down checks were and not waste time than waste it applying for something I had a 0% shot at.

Is this a real evaluation or a "I didn't earn a SWO pin therefore I shit on everyone" thing?

The stats don't lie... I've attached numbers from last year's HR DCO selection board for an idea of what they are looking for and the selection statistics. The reality of this board is that it's incredibly competitive even for candidates that check every qualification box. If you are missing any of the preferred qualifications, it will be nearly impossible to leapfrog candidates that aren't missing them.

I feel like I'm a strong candidate but I will be beyond shocked if I am selected. My expectation going in to this is about the same as playing Powerball.

We will all know soon enough. The board meets in less than 2 weeks!

Also, @RUFiO181 consistently gives accurate and timely information regarding all things Navy. He may not give you the answer you want to hear and maybe it isn't written like a Hallmark card, but it's pretty much gospel.

Attachments

• FY17HRDCOBoardStats.docx
    44.1 KB · Views: 71

exNavyOffRec

For what its worth, my dealings with the Navy HR community have left me with nothing but a bad taste. They are terrible. As in should be eliminated as a designator and GS'ed or contracted out. I would think that someone with a strong track record of being what the Navy wants would be something the community would appreciate.

Part of why we say what we say is because nearly all recruiters blow smoke up a candidates ass when it comes to chances of selection, those are the ones that focus on getting an application in vice getting a strong candidate to apply. If we would tell them the odds and they still want to apply great, many would however would look at other options. I would always be honest with my applicants and that is why I have many that still keep in contact with me today.

It isn't meant to shit on them, just to tell them the facts, sometimes the delivery of the facts does seem harsh I guess.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'm not to proud to admit where I was wrong. I was out of my lane and I apologize to Rufio. You guys know what your doing. Keep up the good work.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Is this a real evaluation or a "I didn't earn a SWO pin therefore I shit on everyone" thing?

No, this is coming straight from the board members and board stats. Selectees last few years have had a masters degree and some sort of HR certificate not to mention HR-related experience and leadership.

I wouldn’t say I shit on people. I will never tell an applicant here “hey, GFY” or “you’re a piece of sh*t”, but at the same time when individuals are asking easy questions I will have them use their resources first before I will finally decide the jump in. I will be less hesitant towards enlisted/fleet folks because they’re often left in the dark and don’t have an OR. Overall, these folks are applying for an officer and need to know how to use their resources to figure things out. If you start giving answers, they’ll start taking care of it.

When it comes to stats and selection chances, I’m as straightforward as possible. Otherwise, I’m selling someone short.

In closing we’re assholes... but we’re not jerks.

Randall

Does Anyone know if I even have a shot at OCS in any program (preferably aviation, NFO) ? I am new to Air Warriors.

BA: 2.65 Education Science (UC Irvine)
MA: 3.75 Organizational Leadership (Concordia University)
OAR Score: 46

23 years old
NCAA D1 Soccer Player
CIF Swimming State Finalist
JR. ROTC (Group Commander)

As far as my GPA goes, do I account for both my bachelors and masters degree?