• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So NASM has another Phrog to add to the USMC one they currently have on display? What paint scheme do they have on the HW bird?

I asked the guys in the shop about the CH-46 I saw. They correct me on some facts. The one I saw is a paint copy of BN 151952, not the actual aircraft, which according to them is down at Naval Aviation Museum in P'Cola (even greater fame for Chuck). The work I saw being done is on a mostly empty shell destined to sit on a stick somewhere out west. The ship is painted in that blueish/green color with a big HC-6 insignia on the front engine cover with standard insignia on the sides. The aft engine cover has the full BN and "HW" in white above. I am going back next week. I will see if I can get a picture.

As I recall the 46 on the exhibit floor (the Marine version) is on loan from the NMMC in Quantico.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So NASM has another Phrog to add to the USMC one they currently have on display? What paint scheme do they have on the HW bird?
This is the actual USMC -46 in commeratiove paint scheme that ended up at the Udvar-Hazy

150621-M-XX999-129.JPG

and 151952 at the Naval Aviation Museum...

24290766965_ae1d4aa9e4_b.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Ironically, the '46 was never better when it was retired in terms of capability, safety, maintainability, avionics, etc. Which is why the aircraft aree being bought up at DoD auctions by commercial operators looking for firefighting or DoD contract lift support.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In Iraq (‘06/‘07) the Marines used them for the never popular “ring flights” that ran from the pad at Victory and on to a number of combat outposts. The flights seemed really slow, but it was far better than a convoy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In Iraq (‘06/‘07) the Marines used them for the never popular “ring flights” that ran from the pad at Victory and on to a number of combat outposts. The flights seemed really slow, but it was far better than a convoy.

It didn't hurt that the 'Rhino' was one of the few things out there that made the Phrog look sexy.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Ironically, the '46 was never better when it was retired in terms of capability, safety, maintainability, avionics, etc. Which is why the aircraft aree being bought up at DoD auctions by commercial operators looking for firefighting or DoD contract lift support.

I realize there’s a lot of nostalgia going on here, but this is rose colored glasses. The phrog was amazingly capable of lifting lots of stuff and then spontaneously killing its crew without warning. They were old airframes, old technology, old engines, and old avionics.

They’re being bought up because they fill a niche not covered by many (any?) civilian airframes, just like the -60A models.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I realize there’s a lot of nostalgia going on here, but this is rose colored glasses. The phrog was amazingly capable of lifting lots of stuff and then spontaneously killing its crew without warning. They were old airframes, old technology, old engines, and old avionics.

They’re being bought up because they fill a niche not covered by many (any?) civilian airframes, just like the -60A models.
Chuck’s not totally wrong. In the Phrogs twilight years it finally got some of the $ it needed to correct many of the problems from the mid 90s.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Which watch for "Glorius SPAM" consumption?

My Dad's Maxima.

Don't know much regarding this watch...the Google machine as well as my watch reference books don't have any info on it. I'm guessing the watch is from the 1950's or 1960's.

IMG_8379.JPG

IMG_8383.JPG

IMG_8389.JPG

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I've ordered a Bremont (specific for his aircraft) for Husband for Christmas, though the process took so long and was such a disorganized mess that it isn't going to arrive on time. I hope it's a damn nice watch, for all the headaches (not to mention all the dollars).

What problems did you have? I placed an order with them recently, and it seemed to go very smoothly. The jury's still out on the watch, but the examples I saw at Tailhook were all very nice.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
First, long delays in communication. Waiting days for responses.

When asking what exactly they needed in order to confirm his flight time in the model (required), they couldn't really answer. I was attempting to surprise him so I wanted to know if there was anything I could use that I could get without his help (instead of something like a copy of pages in his log book). Finally, I just sent a link to his bio from an official Navy page and that worked, but it was odd that they couldn't really tell me what they could use.

They sent me an order form to fill out, and I did, and then almost a week later they responded that it was the wrong order from (though it was the one they provided), and had me add some details in an email. Then they sent a message saying my order was no official and I couldn't chance anything without incurring additional charges, but they never actually confirmed the details of my order (and I was concerned, given the somewhat disorganized and chaotic ordering process).

It took almost two months. Admittedly, a few of those weeks were on my end, but overall, it just felt super disorganized. But their delays all but ensured I won't have it in time for Christmas, which sucks.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
First, long delays in communication ... But their delays all but ensured I won't have it in time for Christmas, which sucks.

That sounds surprisingly disorganized, and the exact opposite of my experience with them so far. Sorry to hear.