• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAJOR IRR Policy Change...

MrSaturn

Contributor
The new Blended Retirement System now allows a person to walk away with at least something if they get out before 20 years. The longer a person remains affiliated (Active Duty or SELRES), the more they can walk away with. It covers those that serve 2-16 years in Active Duty/SELRES.

As I understand it, pension still hits at 20 and then you get matching for what you pay in before that. Great plan for moving forward, gives offramps that make sense.

The problem is the sailors already in the 2-16 year mark. Many Sailors didn't pay in under the old plan, so they still need to get 20 for that pension to get anything.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
This "protracted war" is more of a low-grade brush fire than a raging inferno...I'd say the GWOT isn't "exactly the same scenario the IRR was intended for." The scenario it was intended for was 8th Guards Army coming through the Fulda Gap. Peer-on-peer industrial-strength killing.

That was exactly the same point I was trying to make, that the IRR is for national emergencies: China headed across the Formosa Strait for Taiwan - in my generation, Ivan driving entire tank armies across the Fulda Gap - in my parents' generation, Pearl Harbor. Total war, mobilization with what you have, all hands on deck - NOW.

The most logical use of these deep, deep, DEEP reserve assets (America's 17th line of defense) would be returning to their areas of expertise. Using the training command as an example, retirees and IRR's who have prior instructor experience in the T-6, T-45 and TH-57 could backfill not just SelRes billets but much of the entire training command. IRR's and retirees still in commercial aviation jobs and having FAA medicals would be an extremely quick and effective fit. To stay as prepared as possible in the event of said national emergency, it would make more sense for the traditional IRR correspondence courses to be monthly NATOPS exams, course rules, instruments, etc.

Again, this is in the context of the IRR's role being in a full mobilization.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Well, I talked to the family about going back to drilling in the VTU. My youngest children who really haven't seen me in uniform were a little worried, but the older ones took it well. I called the recruiter this morning and left a message. We'll see if I am able to get back in.
Concerning the recent discussion about the changes in the IRR policy, there is an old saying that has stuck with me since I received my commission which is "the needs of the Navy." We are able to serve because of the need. There will always be a need for a strong Navy, but the Navy can and should determine the need. As my commission states "...And this officer is to observe and follow such orders and directions, from time to time, as may be given by the President of the United States of America, or other superior officers acting in accordance with the laws of the United States of America..." I am proud to serve with great sailors at all levels, and I wish them fair winds and following seas in whatever future direction they are able to choose.

azguy

None
^ Didn't know this was a thing, and I think it's a total joke that anyone could earn a retirement pension from the IRR. That said, I wouldn't begrudge someone from trying to work an existing welfare policy. You've got the right attitude. Best of luck to you.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...The most logical use of these deep, deep, DEEP reserve assets (America's 17th line of defense) would be returning to their areas of expertise. Using the training command as an example, retirees and IRR's who have prior instructor experience in the T-6, T-45 and TH-57 could backfill not just SelRes billets but much of the entire training command. IRR's and retirees still in commercial aviation jobs and having FAA medicals would be an extremely quick and effective fit. To stay as prepared as possible in the event of said national emergency, it would make more sense for the traditional IRR correspondence courses to be monthly NATOPS exams, course rules, instruments, etc.

Having seen first-hand retirees and IRR's come on active duty after an extended time away from the military what you propose would be far more trouble than it is worth. The Navy already has a very deep bench of folks who are far more current, either on active duty or in the SELRES already, to pull from without having to dip into the pool of the IRR or retirees. In my small unit alone we have quite a few airline guys with current Navy flight physicals, gotta have one to get that flight pay, a significant number of them did a stint in VT's.

Last edited:

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
^ Didn't know this was a thing, and I think it's a total joke that anyone could earn a retirement pension from the IRR. That said, I wouldn't begrudge someone from trying to work an existing welfare policy. You've got the right attitude. Best of luck to you.

Middle finger.

atmahan

... facility for offence.
The problem is the sailors already in the 2-16 year mark. Many Sailors didn't pay in under the old plan, so they still need to get 20 for that pension to get anything.

The new BRS grandfathers a person into the older High Tier-3 system if they are serving as of 12/31/17. Anyone entering after 12/31/17 only gets enrolled in BRS.

It does, however, have the opting in option if one is Active Duty with less than 12 Years, or is in the Reserves with less than 4,320 Points and are in a paid Billet (i.e. SELRES but not IRR or VTU).

But to even think about getting to 20 years in the Reserves one must fall into the following category:

1) An Enlisted person must make E-6 to get the E-6 20-22 Year HYT.

A sh*t-hot Enlisted can make E-6 in 5-7 years (in Active Duty), but I would say the average (in either Active or SELRES) is more like ~8-12.

2) A non-prior Officer must make O-4 to get the 20 Commissioned Years guarantee.

An officer can make O-4 in their 8-12 commissioned year.

3) A prior-Enlisted Officer must have enough Qualifying Years from their Enlisted time to allow that officer to get to 20 Years as an O-1 through O-3 before being attritioned out, which means that prior-enlisted Officer better have 8-12 years as prior Enlisted if that officer does not make O-4.

In all 3 cases they must have served in an Active Duty/SELRES combination for at least that many years to make E-6/O-4.

Therefore, the effect of the new IRR Policy is really on those that have since gone IRR during their ~7/8-15th years and have not reached 16 years.

So, those guys need to make some informed decisions if they want to get to 20.

If they stick to High Tier-3, then to get to 16 years, they must either go SELRES or VTU for those remaining 1-8/9 Years.

If they opt-in to BRS, then to get to 16 years they must go SELRES (to Opt In), then they can stay SELRES or switch to VTU, for those 1-8/9 Years.

Either way, it means going back to Drilling.

Just got this today, not completely sure what this means but it appears to be good news for BGIOs. Does this mean BGIOs will be considered quasi- SELRES if already in the program?

All Reservists -

First if you are retired or not a reservist - please update your BGO information page on BGIS (or your A/C may have updated it recently - so in the future you don't receive notes when we pull reservists for a distribution)

We were informed of the bottom e-mail on Thursday afternoon and we had a conference call with PERS-93 on Friday and now we were just informed that Blue and Gold participants will not be affected by the new Reserve policy change!

This is per CIV Charles L Freeman, Pers-9 Pers-93 and decision made by CAPT Howell that USNA "Blue and Gold participants will not be affected by the new policy change."

Attempting to get that added in the new instruction as well for posterity.

Thanks for all your efforts to the BGO program! (Even if you are in the IRR and less than 16 years!)

Thanks!
For those with under 16 good years, I’d:

The referenced email is not something I’d rest my retirement on, but CAPT Swift (who sent the email) is a stand up guy, and I feel great comfort if he says it’s taken care of.

Once you’re a BGO you’ll drive your own schedule and track you own points, and go IRR.

For those who are “appalled” that you can earn a retirement from the IRR, I still submit that I helped the Navy more in the IRR (BGO and funeral duty) than I have as SELRES (waiting in lines, clearing hit lists, resubmitting forms I’d already submitted 3 times before, etc..)

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial

The referenced email is not something I’d rest my retirement on, but CAPT Swift (who sent the email) is a stand up guy, and I feel great comfort if he says it’s taken care of.

Once you’re a BGO you’ll drive your own schedule and track you own points, and go IRR.

For those who are “appalled” that you can earn a retirement from the IRR, I still submit that I helped the Navy more in the IRR (BGO and funeral duty) than I have as SELRES (waiting in lines, clearing hit lists, resubmitting forms I’d already submitted 3 times before, etc..)

vxc961, I am not familiar with BGO. I am a CEC, 5105, Officer with a Direct Commission and no prior service. Am I eligible for BGO?

matrose64

If you affiliate with VTU, are you in the same pool of involuntary mobilizations as SELRES, or are you in the "break in case of WWIII" pool that IRR-ASP is in?

This is from the navy reserves by the numbers this month: See attached.

Caveat, most of the VTU members likely volunteered for it.

Voluntary Training Unit (VTU) total = 2,537 VTU
Mobilized to Active Duty = 93
VTU Active Duty Special Work = 59
VTU Active Duty for Training = 3

But also yes ready reserve (VTU/ASP) can be mobilized involuntarily under the following authorities:
10 U.S.C., 12302 (Presidential authority)
and Recall per 10 U.S.C., 12301(a) (Congressional authority).

Vice Ready Reserve (SELRES) being under
authorized to be mobilized under all authorities Recall per 10 U.S.C., 12302 (Presidential authority),
Recall per 10 U.S.C., 12304 (Presidential authority)
and Recall per 10 U.S.C., 12301(a) (Congressional authority),

Attachments

• By+The+Numbers+20171015.pdf
    571.2 KB · Views: 8

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...For those who are “appalled” that you can earn a retirement from the IRR, I still submit that I helped the Navy more in the IRR (BGO and funeral duty) than I have as SELRES (waiting in lines, clearing hit lists, resubmitting forms I’d already submitted 3 times before, etc..)

An exception to the norm doesn't mean the new policy is a bad one, it just means you were one of the very few who was able to contribute more in the IRR than when you drilled. It should also be noted that BGO will apparently be allowed in the IRR under the new policy and I imagine Funeral Duty Honors might be as well.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And to translate the lawyer-ese for those keeping score at home, GWOT has been executed under Presidential partial mobilization authority - 10 U.S.C., 12302. Only Congress can direct a full Reserve mobilization, and that's basically designed for WWIII kicking off.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like your SELRES command was dropping the ball. There are several, even outside the TRACOM, that do more than standard admin crap . . . even going to sea. I know because mine does, and I cut their orders.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial

Wow, you guys are great. I would never have even thought about BGO or many other opportunities without your support. Thank you.