• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

LTJG_Fluffy

Is it luck or is it fate?
What do you want to do in the USN?

Intel rarely picks anyone that doesn't list them #1, many won't pick you unless they are listed #1 or 2.

I'd like to be a naval aviator or flight officer. My OR thinks that doesn't look good to submit only to one board which is the only reason I've thought long and hard about other communities in the Navy. I feel like since I've only taken the ASTB once, I might as well only apply to one community and see. If not, I'll retake and resubmit again. Seems like my OR really wants me to get picked for anything the first go-around.

exNavyOffRec

I'd like to be a naval aviator or flight officer. My OR thinks that doesn't look good to submit only to one board which is the only reason I've thought long and hard about other communities in the Navy. I feel like since I've only taken the ASTB once, I might as well only apply to one community and see. If not, I'll retake and resubmit again. Seems like my OR really wants me to get picked for anything the first go-around.

you must have a very new OR because it doesn't work like that.

LTJG_Fluffy

Is it luck or is it fate?
you must have a very new OR because it doesn't work like that.

I hope that is the case with my OR. I've gained a lot of knowledge and insight from this site but I don't really want to challenge him because he's in the Navy and I'm not.

I'm going to stick to what the general consensus is here at AW and only apply for aviation. However, if I am nudged to apply for more, should I just politely decline and tell him that I've heard differently?

mcr78

Applying for CEC and just took my OAR today and got a 58. Recruiter said it was solid and doesnt suggest taking it again. I know I can do better on the Math section. I know the OAR is a relatively new requirement for CEC and not sure how important it is to my package. You think I will be competitive with a 58? Graduated with 3,67 GPA in 2015 with a degree in civil engineering and have had my EIT since 2015.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Applying for CEC and just took my OAR today and got a 58. Recruiter said it was solid and doesnt suggest taking it again. I know I can do better on the Math section. I know the OAR is a relatively new requirement for CEC and not sure how important it is to my package. You think I will be competitive with a 58? Graduated with 3,67 GPA in 2015 with a degree in civil engineering and have had my EIT since 2015.
Since when is it a requirement? This is an honest, no snark question. I just pulled the PA and I don't see anything about it. That said, good start between your GPA and EIT. Obviously more will play into it, recommendations, interviews, and leadership stuff. Have you met with the accessions officer yet?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Since when is it a requirement? This is an honest, no snark question. I just pulled the PA and I don't see anything about it. That said, good start between your GPA and EIT. Obviously more will play into it, recommendations, interviews, and leadership stuff. Have you met with the accessions officer yet?

The OAR became a requirement in 2014 I believe but talking to the board members it is not seriously considered during the application.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
The OAR became a requirement in 2014 I believe but talking to the board members it is not seriously considered during the application.
Interesting. The PA i pulled was from 2014 and said nothing about that. Good information to know though. Thanks! :)

Hayley D.

I was accepted with a 58 and a 3.26 GPA at the last board, I think you should be good to apply with those stats.

As far as how much the OAR matters, my accessions officer told me they were looking for us to be above a 50. So they have a baseline, but I don't think it matters much, and they definitely look at EIT and work experience a lot.

mcr78

Thanks for the input. I am going to stick with my OAR score. I am moving forward now to getting my paperwork in on time so I can make the next board in January.

Gaurav

@RUFiO181

Currently Active Duty in Navy
Education: BBA Accounting
Undergraduate GPA: 3.47
Grad: Software Engineering (In-work)
Grad GPA: 3.8
OAR: 48

How do my numbers look for Supply and AMDO? I will be applying for February board. Since my goal is to be a Commissioned Officer, should I consider applying for SWO?

Last edited:

Hayley D.

Thanks for the input. I am going to stick with my OAR score. I am moving forward now to getting my paperwork in on time so I can make the next board in January.
Good luck! If your process moves quickly enough we may be in the same CECOS class.

ichneumonidae

@RUFiO181

Currently Active Duty in Navy
Education: BBA Accounting
Undergraduate GPA: 3.47
Grad: Software Engineering (In-work)
Grad GPA: 3.8
OAR: 48

How do my numbers look for Supply and AMDO? I will be applying for February board. Since my goal is to be a Commissioned Officer, should I consider applying for SWO?
Good degree and GPA for Supply, slightly less-than-average competitiveness in OAR (here are some averages from previous Supply boards). How are/were your interviews? Hopefully you're able to get a few senior/flag Supply officers to say a some good things about you!

Gaurav

Two letter of recommendations, one from Software Engineering Department Chair and another one from retired Colonel.
Three interviews from o5,04,o3-all Navy supply.

TV2709

Fours Active Duty USN (MA2)
Two years and Current SelRes
Undergrad GPA: 3.44
Major: Political Science

I'm currently a GS11 but I've always wanted to be a Naval Officer. SWO actually appeals to me, what type of OAR score do I need to be competitive? Also what type of interviews make me competitive for SWO? Thanks

NAVYJOEGUY

Hi everyone! Long time lurker applying for HR DCO DEC17 board. Wondering who else is applying and stats.

E6 Navy LS 16 active/ 2 reserve
Successful small business owner.
LPO for years, most recently OSU leading 60 sailors.
BS degree STEM 3.5 gpa
Straight EP evals #1 of 5...
1 com,5 nams, 5 FLOCS, 15 gold wreaths for recruiting, military outstanding volunteer medal
Officer PME, command career counseler, command fitness leader.
Tomahawk Instructor 4 yrs
Navy Recruiter 5 yrs
2 Interviews w/ reserve HR captains. Both 10/10. Great LOR from current NOSC C.O. and old C.O. Who is now a rear admiral. I️ was his LPO.
Detractors - No Masters degree, YOS.

Who’s up?