• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Did you wear matching green garters?

3fbd70147d7e09b366110b2626a7e952--mossy-oak-wedding-camo-wedding-cakes.jpg

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Hah bullshit. Been on every major Marine grunt base and never had a clown sock check me. If so, I'd properly tell him to pound sand.

3p50xkx.jpg

Also pretty sure two-piece gear authorized by NAVAIR is fine but is only acquired via open purchase. Not the normal regularly scheduled supply chains. I.e. It must be specifically ordered and acquired at the cost of squadron ALSS funds. Also, it's expensive as hell and outfitting a squadron will suck up funds for other more pressing items. So unless you're deploying, it's highly unlikely you'll get it. ....or your an Osprey squadron then you get all the shit you want. So there's that.
Way back when, K-Bay had a Smaj who would prowl the PX area looking for enlisted air crew to devil dog. I had one call me out in Iwakuni for wearing a piss cutter. Never heard of any of them calling out officers.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Couldn't agree more Hotdogs. Is this evan a real thing (except for some ass-hat gunny being a jackass). Hell, I use to wear women's knee high hose on forced marches, granted with the green stuff over it........but still.

Curious to know why you did this. Wonder if it's related to this: During my MIDN "Marine Week" 3 day field exercise in Lejune in June plenty of the Marines wore full hose or thigh highs (easier to pee I think) to prevent them from getting eaten alive by bugs while sleeping on the ground.

jmcquate

Contributor
Curious to know why you did this. Wonder if it's related to this: During my MIDN "Marine Week" 3 day field exercise in Lejune in June plenty of the Marines wore full hose or thigh highs (easier to pee I think) to prevent them from getting eaten alive by bugs while sleeping on the ground.
to avoid blisters

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Gotcha. Thanks guys. As a Boy Scout we'd wear 2 pairs of socks for the same reason. Had never heard of hose before that time as a MIDN and when you brought it up I was curious.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Way back when, K-Bay had a Smaj who would prowl the PX area looking for enlisted air crew to devil dog. I had one call me out in Iwakuni for wearing a piss cutter. Never heard of any of them calling out officers.

Most definitely not a thing now. Officer or enlisted. There are assholes stillnout there but I would say it's very rare. Only surefire way to get your shit pushed in on a Marine base nowadays is being completely out of uniform, not saluting, parking in a GO/FO spot, or looking like a complete bag of shit in uniform. All of which are very hard things to F up.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Good I'm glad that changed for the better. The incident in Iwakuni bothered me, he saluted, I returned it and then he lit up when he saw Cpl on my nametag.
I was worried about him calling my SgtMaj who was not exactly a bundle of joy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

to avoid blisters

In particular they are good to prevent being bitten by ticks, so I am told.

Huffs09

None
I was visiting HSM-48 today and one of the LTs that showed us around was wearing a two piece flight suit. I have never seen that before and did not know that that was something that was made. Can anybody just buy them, or to you have to have a reason for wearing one?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I was visiting HSM-48 today and one of the LTs that showed us around was wearing a two piece flight suit. I have never seen that before and did not know that that was something that was made. Can anybody just buy them, or to you have to have a reason for wearing one?

This is what the Marines were talking about on the last page. They are authorized by NAVAIR for wear in non-ejection seat aircraft. They are pretty darn comfy and you can de-blouse for preflight or in your shop. So essentially you are just wearing pants and a short sleeve shirt. They also make a "combat shirt" that makes flying in body armor a lot more comfortable. But they are expensive... So not a lot of squadrons buy them. I have seen more and more of the helo guys on NASNI wearing them, so maybe that is changing.

And yes you can buy them on your own if you want. That's exactly what all the pilots and aircrew on one of my detachments did. It helped that we got an amazing group rate. You probably don't want to be the only guy in your squadron that buys a set...