• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Surface Warfare Officer?

desertflyer

Haven't heard this one before. Source?

These are the numbers being given by staff at OCS.

Hardly.

The Navy, and specifically the officer corps, is a group of professionals doing professional work. Some communities take that a little more seriously in maintaining some standard than others. Shit talking is one tool used to enforce that standard before things get more formal.

I get it, but you're on a message board talking to people who have never been in the Navy, they are simply trying to join. If someone wants to be a SWO, why not give them the pros and cons and let them make that decision for themselves? It doesn't do any good to simply bash the profession. In fact it probably does worse for Naval Aviation, now you have SWOs that already resent the aviation community before they're even in.. Take this for what it's worth, I just feel that too many people treat this forum like they're shit talking at the bar, rather than being ambassadors for the Navy in a public environment for all eyes to see.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That might actually be a reasonable number if you start with all of the pilot/NFO candidates who check into OCS, count how many get winged two years later, and include all of the reasons different people don't make it through: not just finally flight school grades (about 10% attrition), but also NAMI flight physical/NPQ, DOR (during OCS or flight school), academic failures in API and IFS, PRT failures (rare but it happens...), water survival, and other miscellaneous.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Take this for what it's worth, I just feel that too many people treat this forum like they're shit talking at the bar, rather than being ambassadors for the Navy in a public environment for all eyes to see.

This isn’t a recruiting site. This is a naval aviation forum, and its conducted like a naval aviation ready room. If you want Navy ‘public ambassadors,’ go talk to the recruiters or the Blues. Your opinion is noted. If you think things should be done differently, feel free to go start your own site and enforce your own rules. Otherwise, you have no business lecturing officers on how they should conduct themselves or policing their conversations.

Python

pilot
Contributor

They are wrong. Not even close. Like others have said, MAYBE it includes everyone from Pro-Rec for OCS onwards and includes medical attrites, DORs, random reasons, etc.

Flight school attrition in the traditional sense (a normal officer in flight school who fails out for no other reason than attitude or performance) is not even in the same universe of 40%.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Take this for what it's worth, I just feel that too many people treat this forum like they're shit talking at the bar, rather than being ambassadors for the Navy in a public environment for all eyes to see.

Lately I've seen much more bashing of the aviation community by aviators in the PNA forum than I have seen serious SWO bashing.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
In my experience and opinion, most interservice or intercommunity rivalry, part of which is that "bashing", stems from the interservice envy, which is common for militaries of any country and any time. What does allow to take this envy less seriously is the clear understanding that each military branch and community contains a lot of unhappy members and the sources of their unhappiness are as much depend on their performanse and behavior as on the pure luck. There isn't such thing as irreproachable, blameless, unstained naval community or subcommunity. Thus, before the posing the question about pros and cons of a definite community, it's better for everyone in concern to put the questions about him/her self first.
For sensitive, "feeling" people the SWO community, again in my opinion, is clearly not the best way of career, as one should be extremely rigid about the navy rules, written and unwritten, to succed there (no matter whether you understand the rationale of that rules or not), and this still doesn't warrant success. In a sense, the SWO way is better for unimagining and insensitive people, or as Royal Navy old saying tells, for a "yokel" sailors. For the SWO world, at least in Russian navy which I'm familiar with, as if the Emerson's sentence had been written: "Nature has made up her mind that what cannot defend itself shall not be defended." That is the core value for an SWO career, I'm sure. Things may be totally different for nowadays USN SWO corps, but I don't think so.
Hope this helps.