• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
24 year old female. Civilian. Heavy leadership experience in civilian work and college.
4.0 GPA - Bachelors in English.
IW / Intel.
51 OAR

My OAR is 4 points below the average for those accepted by intel boards. I was wondering if anyone thinks my high GPA (despite it being humanities and not even polisci or international affairs or something intel-related) may offset this score. Are my chances decent?

Intel will be a uphill battle and IW even tougher because you don't have a STEM-related degree.

If you don't get accepted to either you really need to consider Aviation or SWO programs if you want to be an officer. If not and you only want IWC consider going Enlisted.

BlueDacnis

IP Officer - Graduated OCS 20JUL18
Intel will be a uphill battle and IW even tougher because you don't have a STEM-related degree.

If you don't get accepted to either you really need to consider Aviation or SWO programs if you want to be an officer. If not and you only want IWC consider going Enlisted.
Will it matter whether I put IW or Intel first? An O5 gave me an appraisal and recommended me for IW, but clearly that's more of a long shot than Intel. If you put Intel second, does that lessen your chances even further, or is it only putting it third that hurts you?

exNavyOffRec

Will it matter whether I put IW or Intel first? An O5 gave me an appraisal and recommended me for IW, but clearly that's more of a long shot than Intel. If you put Intel second, does that lessen your chances even further, or is it only putting it third that hurts you?

IW picks nearly exclusively those with tech degrees.

BlueDacnis

IP Officer - Graduated OCS 20JUL18
IW picks nearly exclusively those with tech degrees.

Do you think my chances at Intel are realistic? I know that even at your best most people only stand a 10% chance. Do you have any advice as to what I may have a decent shot at? (I notice RUFIO suggested SWO or Aviation; I would consider SWO but I'm not too pumped about aviation).

exNavyOffRec

Do you think my chances at Intel are realistic? I know that even at your best most people only stand a 10% chance. Do you have any advice as to what I may have a decent shot at? (I notice RUFIO suggested SWO or Aviation; I would consider SWO but I'm not too pumped about aviation).
I would agree with RUFIO's suggestions.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Once again, you need to come to terms if you don't get selected for neither. Having a non-stem degree puts you at a disadvantage because that's what the vast majority of applicants have. Additionally your degree doesn't really align with what Intel and especially what IW is looking for - per the program authorizations.

If you only want to be IWC and don't get selected for both programs, consider going Enlisted and trying to get a IWC enlisted job. If not, highly consider SWO as your background better aligns with that.

marissa_ann1

Hey everyone this is my first post here. I just wanted to ask if you guys thought I was competitive.

I would like to put a packet in for NFO and SWO. However I took my ASTB yesterday and my scores were kinda bad.

I am 23 and a civilian. For work I have been doing background investigations for the government for about a year and a half.

I received my Bachelor's in Criminology with minors in homeland security and safety science from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 5/16 with a GPA of 3.30. I am currently completing a master's program with Penn State.

My OAR score is 50, 4 (AQR), 3 (PFAR), 5 (FOFAR).

I have held multiple leadership positions in a sorority of 50+ women while I was in college.

I also have a lor from employers and professors as well as a O-4.

I have a clean record, no medical issues and currently hold an active top secret clearance.

I was just wondering if I would be competitive with my scores as is. I do plan to retake the ASTB.

Also sorry for any weird formatting or typos. I am using my phone to post this.

scsmith43

pilot
Hey everyone this is my first post here. I just wanted to ask if you guys thought I was competitive.

I would like to put a packet in for NFO and SWO. However I took my ASTB yesterday and my scores were kinda bad.

I am 23 and a civilian. For work I have been doing background investigations for the government for about a year and a half.

I received my Bachelor's in Criminology with minors in homeland security and safety science from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 5/16 with a GPA of 3.30. I am currently completing a master's program with Penn State.

My OAR score is 50, 4 (AQR), 3 (PFAR), 5 (FOFAR).

I have held multiple leadership positions in a sorority of 50+ women while I was in college.

I also have a lor from employers and professors as well as a O-4.

I have a clean record, no medical issues and currently hold an active top secret clearance.

I was just wondering if I would be competitive with my scores as is. I do plan to retake the ASTB.

Also sorry for any weird formatting or typos. I am using my phone to post this.
33%

brando22559

24 years old. Civilian
Applying for Intel
B.A. from UC Berkeley 3.41 GPA (Had a 3.73 at Penn State before transferring)
Majored in Political Science and Minored in Public Policy
Taking the OAR Friday but a bit nervous

Update: I got a 53 on the OAR but I'm retaking it. Any thoughts on my chances?

LTJG_Fluffy

Is it luck or is it fate?
So, I got my ASTB scores back and OR says that it's pretty competitive and that I have a shot at aviation. While I want to believe that the scores are good enough, a part of me isn't so sure. He was at a recruiting event so I had to call instead of visit in person and from the sound of it, he sounded hasty and seemed like he just wanted me to start my packet as soon as possible. I believe him but I think maybe just being face to face in his office would have been a bit more reassuring.

Personally, I wasn't too satisfied with it because I know I have the potential to get a higher score. However, my current work and course loads are starting to build up and I don't think I'll have time to study the material as much as I would like until graduation in December. Should I just go with what my OR says and start preparing my packet and not worry about retaking it unless I don't get picked up?

Also, will I be penalized for submitting the packet but not signing if I don't chosen for aviation in order to retake? I swear I read something about this somewhere on this site but I can't find it. The way my OR explained it to me seemed like once I send in a packet and get picked up for something, I have to choose one or else it's going to negatively affect my future packet.

Major: Global Studies and German
Minor: Business Administration and Geo. Information Systems
GPA: 3.84

ASTB: 56 6/6/6

Buster95

pilot
So, I got my ASTB scores back and OR says that it's pretty competitive and that I have a shot at aviation. While I want to believe that the scores are good enough, a part of me isn't so sure. He was at a recruiting event so I had to call instead of visit in person and from the sound of it, he sounded hasty and seemed like he just wanted me to start my packet as soon as possible. I believe him but I think maybe just being face to face in his office would have been a bit more reassuring.

Personally, I wasn't too satisfied with it because I know I have the potential to get a higher score. However, my current work and course loads are starting to build up and I don't think I'll have time to study the material as much as I would like until graduation in December. Should I just go with what my OR says and start preparing my packet and not worry about retaking it unless I don't get picked up?

Also, will I be penalized for submitting the packet but not signing if I don't chosen for aviation in order to retake? I swear I read something about this somewhere on this site but I can't find it. The way my OR explained it to me seemed like once I send in a packet and get picked up for something, I have to choose one or else it's going to negatively affect my future packet.

Major: Global Studies and German
Minor: Business Administration and Geo. Information Systems
GPA: 3.84

ASTB: 56 6/6/6
I'd apply with those scores.

LTJG_Fluffy

Is it luck or is it fate?
I'd apply with those scores.

Okay, thanks. Just wondering if I should only submit only SNA and NFO or throw SWO, Intel, etc. into the mix. My OR made it seem like I should list all my choices to look like a better candidate. Not sure if that's true or not.

Buster95

pilot
Okay, thanks. Just wondering if I should only submit only SNA and NFO or throw SWO, Intel, etc. into the mix. My OR made it seem like I should list all my choices to look like a better candidate. Not sure if that's true or not.

I would take a look at page two of this thread,

"Try to limit your choices/preferences to two, as third choices more than likely won't be considered. And DON'T PUT SWO AS YOUR THIRD CHOICE as a fallback plan, the board will know it and it likely won't work."

I believe the information is still relevant today.

exNavyOffRec

What do you want to do in the USN?

Intel rarely picks anyone that doesn't list them #1, many won't pick you unless they are listed #1 or 2.