• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Fitzgerald collision in C7F

azguy

None
Man that's a big area of damage, and some pretty impressive pier-side work by the divers. It seems the crew is lucky to still have a ship.

There will be many negative and "other" data points gleaned from the investigation. One of the few positive lessons learned, however, will be the phenomenal combination of our ability to design and build warships able to absorb a tremendous amount of battle damage, and the eye-watering ability of our crews to combat that damage. While the crew will be showered with awards, many heroes of that night work in cube farms at NAVSEA or at the shipyard in Maine, many more have been long retired.

Regardless of the circumstances, this was a 40k ton ship T-boning a 9k ton ship at ~18 kts causing massive flooding below the waterline, to include in an 80+ man berthing. It's really amazing that the damage and casualties weren't far worse. Part of that is definitely luck or fate, but it's also thanks in large part to the factors listed above.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I firmly believe that no navy in the world is better than the USN at damage control, primarily because we take seriously the idea that it's the entire crew's responsibility, not just R Div and the DCA.

From the report, sounds like Fitz's DCA really stepped up and took charge. Hopefully she gets the formal recognition to go with it.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The guy who wrote that report weaved together a very readable/understandable tale. I wish more of our investigations/reports were written in such a way. I think more people would benefit from them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I firmly believe that no navy in the world is better than the USN at damage control, primarily because we take seriously the idea that it's the entire crew's responsibility, not just R Div and the DCA.

Absolutely. A big reason why I would try and maintain rack integrity by weighing down my mattress and insuring it didn't float away. Somebody has to pay for those things.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The guy who wrote that report weaved together a very readable/understandable tale. I wish more of our investigations/reports were written in such a way. I think more people would benefit from them.
Almost exactly what my O-5 retired SWO buddy said when he forwarded it to me.

D

Deleted member 24525

I couldn't help but think of the heroism of the USS Iowa or the movie Dunkirk when I read that report

It is probably not difficult to guess that they would have been relieved.
However maybe the Navy should re-evaluate its "Wicket leadership" mindset.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Oh goodie - we're all better now!

ALL CNSF SHIPS SHALL
IMPLEMENT CIRCADIAN RHYTHM WATCHBILLS AND SHIPBOARD ROUTINES ONBOARD THEIR SHIPS AND COMMANDS NLT 20 DEC 2017.

BigRed389

None
Oh goodie - we're all better now!

ALL CNSF SHIPS SHALL
IMPLEMENT CIRCADIAN RHYTHM WATCHBILLS AND SHIPBOARD ROUTINES ONBOARD THEIR SHIPS AND COMMANDS NLT 20 DEC 2017.

As somebody once pointed out to me...port and starboard rotations (6 on 6 off...or 12 on 12 off) is pretty damn circadian.

This won't solve anything without a closer look at manning to identify shortfalls in trained, qualified bodies onboard our smaller vessels.