• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If you knew what you do now, what would you tell your pre-flight school school self?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The bottom line here is be a good guy. Show that you're interested in learning as much as possible about the different communities but be honest about your goals and interests.

"I'd be happy to fly anything with 'navy' on the side of it but community X appeals the most to me" and "I'm the hottest C172 to ever come out of riddle and I obviously deserve a spot in community X" both say you're interested in community X but the first emphasizes service and that you're a good guy while the latter says it's all about me and I'm a huge dick.

I was never an IP but my impression from flight school was that the IPs generally wanted to see good guys succeed. I sainstances
instances of the squadron going out of their way to help guys that had a good attitude. From my personal experience in the VTs I feel that my on-wing and squadron leadership were disappointed to see that I didn't get a jet slot.

I agree with this. I almost fainted when, on my instrument cross country, I said something about just being happy to be flying for a living (which was, and still is, very true) and my IP (P3 background guy) came back with "Well, I think you're set up well to go jets."

Conversely a guy who had 1,000+ hours and wasn't afraid to tell anyone about it disappeared sometime between API and wings. I never cared enough to find out what happened to him- he was a douche, even looking down on the rest of us and acting like he was a peer to the IPs. That went over about as well as you'd imagine. Another guy who is a friend of mine had 2000+ hours before starting flight school, but you'd never have known it. I think I knew him for over a year before I found out he had that much prior flight experience. He crushed the program, got Hornets, and is now out, flying for a major airline and the reserves.