• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY18 STA-21 Applicants

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
I taught an indoc class on the CVN back in 2008 and there were 5 STA-21 drops just in that class
When we were briefed at NSI we were given statistics and details about the STA-21 drops over the two classes prior to our selection class.

There were 5 drops. Only a few were academic and the rest were drug related. All of the drops were nuclear sailors.

With increased volume of selection will come increased probability of drops. That much can be said.

Either way, like fc2spyguy said....They had ONE job...what a waste of a great opportunity.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, I guess I'd rather find the drug drops then rather than later. The academic drops is absolutely ridiculous. I'd put it dumber than failing a prt. There is no easier way to go through college. Everything is paid for and you show up at a ROTC unit a few times a week.

exNavyOffRec

When we were briefed at NSI we were given statistics and details about the STA-21 drops over the two classes prior to our selection class.

There were 5 drops. Only a few were academic and the rest were drug related. All of the drops were nuclear sailors.

With increased volume of selection will come increased probability of drops. That much can be said.

Either way, like fc2spyguy said....They had ONE job...what a waste of a great opportunity.

Since there are only 50 selects now they can be more selective, the ones I saw in the fleet were when they still had 200 and most of those went to STA-21 with little or no college already, so they were busy and they were all engineering majors.

MHasty

FY18 STA-21 CEC Applicant
Does anyone have any updates on Netfocus, yet? I guess it wouldn't be surprising since it seems like a very small number of us on are on this forum compared to some previous years.

On a side note: Do you think that the decrease in quotas since 2010 is due to the number of drops/wasted money that came from the program?....In other words, the Navy decided that there were not enough "sure thing" applicants to fill all the spots? Or is it completely about the money and the quotas with 1-2 openings remain just so the Navy can say that the opportunity still exists?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have any updates on Netfocus, yet? I guess it wouldn't be surprising since it seems like a very small number of us on are on this forum compared to some previous years.

On a side note: Do you think that the decrease in quotas since 2010 is due to the number of drops/wasted money that came from the program?....In other words, the Navy decided that there were not enough "sure thing" applicants to fill all the spots? Or is it completely about the money and the quotas with 1-2 openings remain just so the Navy can say that the opportunity still exists?

Having watched the selection messages I would stab a guess at it. I noticed a significant drop off in applications from the time I was applying to recent years. If I remember correctly there were nearly 1000 applicants in '04. I think it's less than half of that now. Pure speculation, but I think that has a lot to do with how many they're taking as well.

Clif_Hanger

... Pure speculation, but I think that has a lot to do with how many they're taking as well.

It is unfortunate, there are so many great candidates for the program that have a goal and STA-21 would be the best option to get there. It doesn't have to stay at 50 slots however, we never really know the actual quotas until results come out. Perhaps this year will be a better year.

exNavyOffRec

Having watched the selection messages I would stab a guess at it. I noticed a significant drop off in applications from the time I was applying to recent years. If I remember correctly there were nearly 1000 applicants in '04. I think it's less than half of that now. Pure speculation, but I think that has a lot to do with how many they're taking as well.

money, it is cheaper to just grab the enlisted guys that have finished a degree and send them to OCS

exNavyOffRec

It is unfortunate, there are so many great candidates for the program that have a goal and STA-21 would be the best option to get there. It doesn't have to stay at 50 slots however, we never really know the actual quotas until results come out. Perhaps this year will be a better year.

I wouldn't hold your breath, cheaper for the USN to keep it where it is, there have been several college programs that have been cut/suspended over the years.

Clif_Hanger

I wouldn't hold your breath, cheaper for the USN to keep it where it is, there have been several college programs that have been cut/suspended over the years.

That is very true. Got to crank out this degree. I wonder if it would be better to finish a degree with a lower GPA but in half the time or take a normal amount of time and get a better GPA for the pilot OCS boards...

exNavyOffRec

That is very true. Got to crank out this degree. I wonder if it would be better to finish a degree with a lower GPA but in half the time or take a normal amount of time and get a better GPA for the pilot OCS boards...

I have had several applicants with low GPA's who said I rec'd my 4 year degree in 3 years! well the board doesn't care how long you took, some made it in some didn't, but nearly all of mine who had really good GPA's made it and some took 6 years to get their degree.

Clif_Hanger

I have had several applicants with low GPA's who said I rec'd my 4 year degree in 3 years! well the board doesn't care how long you took, some made it in some didn't, but nearly all of mine who had really good GPA's made it and some took 6 years to get their degree.

Thanks for the advice. If STA-21 doesn't work out this time or next time, I have a couple paths I can take but none seem so great at the moment.

Antman411

OCS Applicant

I haven't seen anything yet...

MHasty

FY18 STA-21 CEC Applicant
My Application page now has "Application last updated: 28-Jul-2017 7:37 AM" .....but the Package Status page still has ".....not been reviewed yet."