• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

sickboy

pilot
How often do units do watch buys? As a budding Naval Aviator, I'd love to grab something cool when I wing, but I think it'd be even cooler to get a watch at my first unit, or maybe it would "mean more" to me. But I also don't want to find out I've been saving up for a group buy and not buy for 6 years.

Something like this.

Haven't seen it happen yet in the last seven years. Although it does pop up here occasionally. What happened to the last one? Speedmastwr buy I think?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...Plus, you can never have too many watches.
Or wear too many watches at one time. :D

Pictured below is my Uncle Jim (age 85) on the left and myself on the right at his house in central Wisconsin last Christmas. He's a watchmaker/clockmaker and he introduced me to mechanical pocket watches in the early 1970's when I was about 8 or 9. Back then and until fairly recently, he would routinely wear several watches at one time to see how they operated following the work he had done on them since he didn't have a timegrapher machine. I always thought that Uncle Jim wearing several watches at one time was pretty cool. I'm not a watchmaker...but like to wear up to 4 watches at one time as indicated in the pic below. :D

IMG_9676.JPG

Pags

N/A
pilot
Or wear too many watches at one time. :D

Pictured below is my Uncle Jim (age 85) on the left and myself on the right at his house in central Wisconsin last Christmas. He's a watchmaker/clockmaker and he introduced me to mechanical pocket watches in the early 1970's when I was about 8 or 9. Back then and until fairly recently, he would routinely wear several watches at one time to see how they operated following the work he had done on them since he didn't have a timegrapher machine. I always thought that Uncle Jim wearing several watches at one time was pretty cool. I'm not a watchmaker...but like to wear up to 4 watches at one time as indicated in the pic below. :D

View attachment 17190
I'm not sure wearing multiple watches is my thing, but to each their own. :)

But owning multiple watches is my thing. For those reading these posts who balk at the four figure price tags of Rolexs, breitlings, and Omegas remember that you don't HAVE to buy super high end watches to start a collection. There are a lot of great, reasonably priced watches that look great and unique that can allow you to have multiple watches. I'd personally rather have 10 watches then 1 Rolex but that's just me.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...remember that you don't HAVE to buy super high end watches to start a collection. There are a lot of great, reasonably priced watches that look great and unique that can allow you to have multiple watches...
A most excellent point, Pags.

Last year Seiko released the re-issue of the venerable 6309 automatic dive watch which was manufactured from 1976 - 1988. The re-issue is the SRP777 automatic and looks almost identical to the 6309...but with improvements over the 6309 such as hand wind capability and hacking capability. They can be purchased new for less than $500. I had to get one since I needed a companion for my 6309 which I purchased new at the NAS Whiting Field NEX in 1987 while I was a SNA in VT-2. I often wear them together (as a set) on the same band...boat loads of fun! :D

6309 (top) and SRP777 (bottom)...
IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6061.JPG

SRP777...
IMG_6062.JPG

6309 (left) and SRP777 (right) on their winders...
IMG_7892.JPG

6309 (left) and SRP777 (right) with their respective boxes & papers...
IMG_7409.JPG

Bonus pic: 6309 with its first aircraft...which was also my first aircraft...
IMG_1860.JPG

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Wait! You mean they have little machines to wind watches? That means I've been doing it wrong all these years.
View attachment 17201
LOL :D

Watch winders come in handy for mechanical automatics that have day and/or date complications. Since it may be several days [or even a week or two] before my Seiko 6309-7049 and/or SRP777 automatics come back around in the rotation to wear, the winders engage [spin] every 8 minutes [adjustable to 12 minutes] to keep them wound [running] at the correct time as well as keeping the day/date current [unless you just passed through a 30 day month...then the date will be off since the date wheel goes through 31]. Typical watch winders only work for mechanical automatics that have a winding rotor...they don't work for hand wind mechanicals...although there are some high end watch winders out there that actually physically wind the crown of a hand wind mechanical [to keep it running].

In other words, watch winders can save you the time of having to reset the time, day and/or date if you haven't been wearing your mechanical automatics for a while...typically, an automatic [if fully wound] will run for about 40 hours [if left idle] and then stop. Also, for me personally, I like the idea of machines [watch winders] that keep other machines [mechanical automatic watches] running...I groove on that for some odd reason.

Then...there is another camp that believes that keeping a watch on a watch winder is like leaving your car in the garage running...which causes your car [or watch] to wear out sooner...which is true.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have 7 with number 8 on the way:
Rolex GMT
Omega Speedmaster
Omega X-33
Breitling Navitimer World
Breitling Colt GMT
Breitling Chronmat
Breitling Montbrillant Olympus

On order I have the P-3 limited edition Bremont ALT1-ZT they are developing.

I'll probably buy a Breitling Hurricane and a Panerai in the future, then call it quits on buying more.

I also use a Wolf Meridian watch winder. You can set the turns per day and turn directions for each watch. It also has built in long rest periods to keep from having the main spring constantly under max tension. With a collection of any size, a watch winder is a must if you don't want to be constantly resetting your watches.

With modern oils if you keep your watch properly serviced, a watch winder causes no adverse affects. And if you're worried about accuracy, your watch will quickly have fluctuations outside of COSC standards if it is allowed to constantly start and stop.

Oh.....I never wear more than one watch at a time....

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I miss my Speedmaster. It should be coming back from its full service in about a week or so. Yet another reason it's good to have multiple watches.

I'm not sure wearing multiple watches is my thing, but to each their own. :)

But owning multiple watches is my thing. For those reading these posts who balk at the four figure price tags of Rolexs, breitlings, and Omegas remember that you don't HAVE to buy super high end watches to start a collection. There are a lot of great, reasonably priced watches that look great and unique that can allow you to have multiple watches. I'd personally rather have 10 watches then 1 Rolex but that's just me.

Agree 100%. Rolex has never really "done it" for me in terms of style or brand perception anyway. It's good to have watches that don't need their own insurance rider. A much more economically priced watch I discovered earlier this year is Hamilton. They got their start as an American company in the 1800s making railroad pocket watches (looking at you, @mad dog ). They were bought out by the Swatch group in the 1960s- a group which includes other brands you may have heard of, such as Longines, Tissot, and Omega, and also produces the nearly ubiquitous ETA mechanical movements and those cheap mall-kiosk Swatches.

Hamilton is a classically styled watch that works well with a variety of straps and wardrobe choices. The company has its own twist on the ETA mechanical movement that keeps good time and boasts an 80 hour power reserve from a single main spring. I don't know of another watch brand that does that. Not COSC certified, but both of mine are well within the -4/+6 sec/day tolerance in real-world use. Hamiltons retail for $500-2000, but can be easily found for $300-700, depending on the source. I bought both of mine off Amazon and got them for around $550 and $300 respectively.

Hamiltons.jpg

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
I miss my Speedmaster. It should be coming back from its full service in about a week or so. Yet another reason it's good to have multiple watches.

Agree 100%. Rolex has never really "done it" for me in terms of style or brand perception anyway. It's good to have watches that don't need their own insurance rider. A much more economically priced watch I discovered earlier this year is Hamilton. They got their start as an American company in the 1800s making railroad pocket watches (looking at you, @mad dog ). They were bought out by the Swatch group in the 1960s- a group which includes other brands you may have heard of, such as Longines, Tissot, and Omega, and also produces the nearly ubiquitous ETA mechanical movements and those cheap mall-kiosk Swatches.

Hamilton is a classically styled watch that works well with a variety of straps and wardrobe choices. The company has its own twist on the ETA mechanical movement that keeps good time and boasts an 80 hour power reserve from a single main spring. I don't know of another watch brand that does that. Not COSC certified, but both of mine are well within the -4/+6 sec/day tolerance in real-world use. Hamiltons retail for $500-2000, but can be easily found for $300-700, depending on the source. I bought both of mine off Amazon and got them for around $550 and $300 respectively.

View attachment 17203
Yeah, Hamilton is a nice company with some good looking stuff. Smaller watch shops are a thing now and there are lots of unique items out there that can be found if you're interested. My daily wear these days is from a Kiwi "company" called Magrette. I say "company" because it's pretty much a one man show. But, he makes some watches that I enjoyed the look of and the price was reasonable. The watch I have has a Panerai look to it but only cost ~$600. Lately I've been looking at some of the divers from Steinhart; they have a Rolex submariner look to them and at ~$500 are available at a fraction of the price. They have a real neat looking dive watch with a bronze case that's been calling to me.

I routinley read the webpage GearPatrol.com and they talk a lot about watches. While there's plenty of space dedicated to higher end watches, they also provide more affordable options:
https://gearpatrol.com/2017/07/14/best-watches-under-1000/
https://gearpatrol.com/2017/04/24/7-best-affordable-dive-watches
https://gearpatrol.com/2017/06/02/best-quartz-watches-for-men/

They're HUGE fans of Seiko watches over there too as a solid/affordable option. Their list of watches under 1k includes a Hamilton and the other moon watch (bulova). If nothing else, it's good for some watch pron.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I bought my son a black Sinn 857 UTC for his winging gift several years ago. It's gorgeous and he loves it of course. I've lusted after one ever since but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a watch. I think I might spring for a Sinn 556 or 556A though.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I miss my Speedmaster. It should be coming back from its full service in about a week or so.
I hear you regarding missing your Speedmaster.

I wore mine today for the 48th anniversary of the first Moon walks by Armstrong and Aldrin...good times! :D

48 years ago today...Aldrin coming down the ladder to be the second man on the Moon...but the first to wear the Omega Speedmaster on the Moon...

IMG_6979.JPG

Today...mad dog coming down the ladder in the backyard...wearing his Omega Speedmaster on its Omega replica NASA strap...

IMG_6983.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

Last edited:

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Anyone have any experience with DePol watches? I'm thinking about starting my watch collection in the near future and I like the look of some of his offerings. Plus, I'm always willing to support a fellow JO!