• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SFO near miss?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
For those who have flown into SFO, can you give any additional information on the Air Canada near miss last Friday night? Was this as close as the news reports are making out it to be? Also, were there any extenuating circumstances (i.e., approach lights out, etc) ? The approach lighting configuration is showing as an ALSF-2. The audio tapes sounds like one of the pilot's sitting on the taxiway was staying alert and made a timely warning call - keep your head on a swivel even when you are sitting on the ground...

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-40619718/air-canada-plane-near-miss-audio-released

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I found a tower freq audio transcript:

Pilot: Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal.

Tower: What happened?

Pilot: Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Callsign TK421?
zww3a7dqwadx.jpg

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I am totally gonna figure out the HEX code to put that in my Mode S squawk. Way cooler than FUTRUMP.

JMPS doesn't take care of that for you? Sounds like we need another MPE with a drop-down menu...

JMPS: "Making mission planning more complicated, one requirement at a time."

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Interesting indeed. Just lined up on the taxiway? Seems really unlikely, but I guess anything is possible.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
You gotta love the deadpan, professional comms of the pilot who was just buzzed by another heavy.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Amazing that after asking the tower about "lights out there" and being told no one was on the runway - they continued the approach.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
:rolleyes: You summed it up. "The media" indeed.

"The plane was apparently so far off-course that it didn’t appear on the air traffic controller’s radar system, the NTSB said."

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what the NTSB said. Great writing and editing.

On the lighter side, here is a short clip about being off-course. (Many of our readers will recognize this from a famous documentary-drama on air travel.):