• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO-IDC options?

Hi everyone! I noticed in the most recent board schedule posted there is "SWO-IDC options" included in the Intel board. So I was trying to find more information on this because when I asked my recruiter, he had never heard of it and didn't think it was a thing. From what I have found just through searching the forums it looks like there is a SWO-IW and a SWO-IP option? Are there other options or jsut those 2? With Intel being as competitive as it is I'm thinking it might be better to go one of those routes. Does anyone know if this is still a thing, and how I would go about applying for it? Any help woud be greatly appreciated!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi everyone! I noticed in the most recent board schedule posted there is "SWO-IDC options" included in the Intel board. So I was trying to find more information on this because when I asked my recruiter, he had never heard of it and didn't think it was a thing. From what I have found just through searching the forums it looks like there is a SWO-IW and a SWO-IP option? Are there other options or jsut those 2? With Intel being as competitive as it is I'm thinking it might be better to go one of those routes. Does anyone know if this is still a thing, and how I would go about applying for it? Any help woud be greatly appreciated!

Your recruiter is either confused/misinterpreted your question or just flat out doesn't know all the programs. The only SWO-IWC programs available are SWO-IP and SWO-CW (formerly known as SWO-IW). Looking at your background, unless you have taken courses in physics and/or calculus scratch off IP/CW off your list. You will not get selected for those.

As for your stats, I would be prepared for SWO in the very likelihood Intel doesn't pan out. Intel has roughly around a 10% selection rate and your stats doesn't really stick out to me. Before you pull out the "I have a poli sci / international relations degree" every other person who applies has the same or similar major as you.

ichneumonidae

The only SWO-IWC programs available are SWO-IP and SWO-CW (formerly known as SWO-IW).

Unless this is not in the SWO-IWC program, I thought there was also the SWO-Oceano designator(s)? (At least that is what my OR and the Navy Officer Manpower and Personnel Classification .pdf I found online said, I could be wrong.)

Of course OP is not an Oceanography/Marine related major and so maybe that is why you did not mention it.

exNavyOffRec

Unless this is not in the SWO-IWC program, I thought there was also the SWO-Oceano designator(s)? (At least that is what my OR and the Navy Officer Manpower and Personnel Classification .pdf I found online said, I could be wrong.)

Of course OP is not an Oceanography/Marine related major and so maybe that is why you did not mention it.

and SWO-Oceano has few spots if any.

FormerRecruitingGuru

To add on to @NavyOffRec most OCEANO / SWO-Oceano spots are given to USNA/NROTC folks, primarily the Academy.

Thank you so much everyone for help with this! Makes so much more sense now. I'm on my second time applying and the first time around I had applied for the SWO options because I had taken calculus, but my recruiter just added them for me so I didn't have much additional info. I got transferred to another recruiter since my original one had left, and I think he might be newer so things were a bit confusing going back through my stuff. I know Intel is a bit of a long shot given the selection rates but ya never know. Just going to apply and see what happens, but definitely better shot at SWO for sure which is fine by me. Thanks again :)

Tony Kay

Your recruiter is either confused/misinterpreted your question or just flat out doesn't know all the programs. The only SWO-IWC programs available are SWO-IP and SWO-CW (formerly known as SWO-IW). Looking at your background, unless you have taken courses in physics and/or calculus scratch off IP/CW off your list. You will not get selected for those.

As for your stats, I would be prepared for SWO in the very likelihood Intel doesn't pan out. Intel has roughly around a 10% selection rate and your stats doesn't really stick out to me. Before you pull out the "I have a poli sci / international relations degree" every other person who applies has the same or similar major as you.

So I take this to mean you need Physics/Calc for IP. Would you say the same for SWO-IP?

exNavyOffRec

So I take this to mean you need Physics/Calc for IP. Would you say the same for SWO-IP?

It would, every once in a blue moon they pick a non-tech person often with a near perfect GPA, or in the case of the person I had, he had spent the first 2 years working toward an engineering degree, then switched, so he had the 2 years of calc, physics, and other tech classes.

Tony Kay

It would, every once in a blue moon they pick a non-tech person often with a near perfect GPA, or in the case of the person I had, he had spent the first 2 years working toward an engineering degree, then switched, so he had the 2 years of calc, physics, and other tech classes.

So I guess, Intel is the only real IWC rate that doesn't require advanced calc/physics? Hmm, you know of any other semi-IT/ or information options in the Navy in general that don't require that, like Intel.

FormerRecruitingGuru

So I guess, Intel is the only real IWC rate that doesn't require advanced calc/physics? Hmm, you know of any other semi-IT/ or information options in the Navy in general that don't require that, like Intel.

Any enlisted IWC rate. If you REALLY want to pursue IWC and NOTHING ELSE I would encourage checking out the enlisted option (IS, IT, CT, etc.).

Tony Kay

Any enlisted IWC rate. If you REALLY want to pursue IWC and NOTHING ELSE I would encourage checking out the enlisted option (IS, IT, CT, etc.).

Honestly I don't care. I know in the civilian world I'd like to be doing tech or intel work related to defense an it just seemed to be that that's would would best enable that ability.

BlueDacnis

IP Officer - Graduated OCS 20JUL18

For what it’s worth, I was accepted for IP and did not take physics or calculus. The highest math I took in college was precalculus trig. But that’s probably not the norm. It’s not impossible to accepted for IP sans physics or calculus, but it is probably very unusual. I majored in English and did not even apply for IP, because I believed my chances were nil.

exNavyOffRec

For what it’s worth, I was accepted for IP and did not take physics or calculus. The highest math I took in college was precalculus trig. But that’s probably not the norm. It’s not impossible to accepted for IP sans physics or calculus, but it is probably very unusual. I majored in English and did not even apply for IP, because I believed my chances were nil.

you had a 4.0 GPA, the few I have seen picked for a tech designator that had non tech degrees had similar GPA's, you were a once in a blue moon chance, and that blue moon had to occur on a Tuesday in a month that started with a "J" :D