• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35 Conversion Board 2017

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Anyone have any tipper on the FY 17 T/C board results as far as F-35 conversion goes? I would have thought the MARADMIN would have been out by now.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Rumor has it the majority of selectees were Prowler dudes and only one Hornet guy was picked. That'll be interesting...

Ready Room talk said it's because O-3 Hornet Manning is currently at 46%.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Rumor has it the majority of selectees were Prowler dudes and only one Hornet guy was picked. That'll be interesting...

Prowler pilot manning isn't any better. But what do you expect when you only train enough guys to take you to sundown, then let them transition out before then?

Last edited:

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The MARADMIN isn't out yet but I saw the list and it was 1x Hornet guy, 3x Harrier, and 5x Prowler selected as primaries. Bizarre. If anyone wants the list shoot me a PM no idea when the MARADMIN will actually be released.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

One wonders what the threshold is where big USMC/ DoD tries to fix the problems that are causing folks to leave. 35%? 15%? Watch the last one walk out the door, call him a fucking quitter, then walk to the white board and start brain storming how to retain pilots?

But watch DCA still get an MSM for a successful tour.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
One wonders what the threshold is where big USMC/ DoD tries to fix the problems that are causing folks to leave. 35%? 15%? Watch the last one walk out the door, call him a fucking quitter, then walk to the white board and start brain storming how to retain pilots?

It's Probably going to need to drop to 15% for squadrons to have any chance at getting their pilots NATOPS minimum flight hours for currency before long...

azguy

None
For those of us keeping score at home; is the F-35B a 1:1 swap for just the Harriers, or is there a date on the books for it to replace the F-18s?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
For those of us keeping score at home; is the F-35B a 1:1 swap for just the Harriers, or is there a date on the books for it to replace the F-18s?

It's replacing all Harriers and F-18s. I think the date for F-18s to be phased out is 2030.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

I know there was a Marine Corps times article about bonuses for TACAIR in the future. I doubt any bonus would be close to what the Air Force would offer. I remember seeing a lot of comments that the "number" needed to be around or north of a 70k/year bonus to be effective. I used to think that 70k was way high but the more I think about it that's probably closer to reality than 10-20k. The problem isn't a pay problem, it's a QOL problem. A bonus is in effect a sign that the QOL problem won't be addressed and that they're willing to pay more people to embrace the suck than make meaningful change. I wonder what F-35 retention rates will look like compared to F-18.

I would accept a pay CUT and sign a 20 year contract if you told me I would fly 300 hours and participate in 2 or 3+ flag size LFEs a year, have no ground job beyond ODO and skeds O level of work, not move more than once or twice, and be <= an O-3.... i.e. how foreign air forces work.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor