• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Chinese officially have a Boat...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I was asking Fester where he got smart on China's inner political workings.

azguy

None
Still looks a lot like Liaoning/Varyag, but that's how the Chinese tend to do things - incremental change.

Incremental, for sure - but for those of us that will be working the WESTPAC in the next few years, this is a pretty big deal. Their OOB of CVs is about to double.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Incremental, for sure - but for those of us that will be working the WESTPAC in the next few years, this is a pretty big deal. Their OOB of CVs is about to double.
So between the two of them, if they synchronize their air plans, they'll be able to sustain what? A division of Flankers?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So between the two of them, if they synchronize their air plans, they'll be able to sustain what? A division of Flankers?

Baby steps, they are in it for the long term. After all, we just started with a 'covered wagon' a mere 97 years ago.

azguy

None

You are- totally- missing the point. They are playing a home game. While the GFM architecture continues to "pivot"...slowly...the PLAN and RFN seem to be outstripping our ability to source assets.

To be clear, you don't the launching of another PLAN CV is significant?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be clear, you don't the launching of another PLAN CV is significant?

It's significant. But the china-watchers' consensus (for what that's worth) is that the PLAN/PLAAF intend to use these boats as training/development assets, not so much for operational power-projection. The Chinese are perfectly aware that they've got a long way to go before they can be proficient, safe, and effective at fixed-wing carrier aviation and they're content to crawl, walk, run. Contrast that with the Russians' determination to send Kuznetsov on an operational deployment whether it's a good idea or not.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's so weird seeing a Kuznetsov class not belching black smoke and actually looking "clean" underway.
I question any boat with non skid that clean. Either that or the Chinese has come up with some super non-skid recipe that has evaded the geniuses at NAVSEA. Im surprised as to how "comfortable/non-foreign" the evolution looked. LSOs, usual collection of rainbow ABs, and troubleshooters plus what looks to be a spotting dolly forward of the island make for a very routine boat picture. Plus, they've got a cool shark on their jets.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I question any boat with non skid that clean. Either that or the Chinese has come up with some super non-skid recipe that has evaded the geniuses at NAVSEA. Im surprised as to how "comfortable/non-foreign" the evolution looked. LSOs, usual collection of rainbow ABs, and troubleshooters plus what looks to be a spotting dolly forward of the island make for a very routine boat picture. Plus, they've got a cool shark on their jets.

Same. I also wonder how much an knockoff EMALS might change the game. Steam Cats are a heavy investment, mag cats might be a shorter putt.

Also I love how the LSOs got the no cranial/big sunglasses memo.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Same. I also wonder how much an knockoff EMALS might change the game. Steam Cats are a heavy investment, mag cats might be a shorter putt.

Also I love how the LSOs got the no cranial/big sunglasses memo.
I'm sure when she pulls in to HK their pilots will head to the breitling store. How can you be fighter guy without a 大手表*?

*big watch (or so says the google)