• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 May 2017 SWO Board

exNavyOffRec

From what I have read on the subject we shouldn't worry about it. They'll either push the board back (what a surprise!), or Congress will pull something out of its collective ass to keep funding the government until a compromise can be reached; thus pushing the whole fiasco 3 or so months down the road until it's not really our problem anymore. Anyhow, that is my understanding of the situation. Anyone feel free to debunk me if I'm wrong.

see my post above.

NavalAzzam

Checking in!
22 YO
BA in Poli Sci, Minors: Arabic, MEIS
OAR: 50
GPA: 3.25
Good luck guys...I feel hella average or below looking at all you haha!

SeaReaver

Updated SWO Board Applicant Data Chart. Anyone with the link can view, but editing will remain limited. Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you want me to add you, or if I made a mistake.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/122wiSFUQtZ_o3QhSjFOyb2YfZghoVn26AXABrrR9ovY/edit?usp=sharing

Some cool facts and Stats.

1) Of the 20 subjects 7 posses competitive scores in both OAR and GPA
2) Of the 20 subjects 9 posses a competitive GPA
3) Of the 20 subjects 15 posses a competitive OAR
4) Of the 20 subjects 5 have had prior military service
5) The average age is 22.5, with the oldest subject being 30, and the youngest subjects being 21
6) Of the 20 subjects 2 are female

GPA
Mean: 3.447
Median: 3.375
Mode: 3.2
Standard Deviation: 0.2992640095

OAR
Mean: 53.05
Median: 52
Mode: 54
Standard Deviation: 4.489461344

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Updated SWO Board Applicant Data Chart. Anyone with the link can view, but editing will remain limited. Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you want me to add you, or if I made a mistake.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/122wiSFUQtZ_o3QhSjFOyb2YfZghoVn26AXABrrR9ovY/edit?usp=sharing

Some cool facts and Stats.

1) Of the 20 subjects 7 posses competitive scores in both OAR and GPA
2) Of the 20 subjects 9 posses a competitive GPA
3) Of the 20 subjects 15 posses a competitive OAR
4) Of the 20 subjects 5 have had prior military service
5) The average age is 22.5, with the oldest subject being 30, and the youngest subjects being 21
6) Of the 20 subjects 2 are female

GPA
Mean: 3.447
Median: 3.375
Mode: 3.2
Standard Deviation: 0.2992640095

OAR
Mean: 53.05
Median: 52
Mode: 54
Standard Deviation: 4.489461344

Seeing this breakdown really makes me wish I hadn't taken my former recruiter's word for it by keeping such a low OAR. But I didn't want to presume to know better than her. We'll see I guess.

SeaReaver

Seeing this breakdown really makes me wish I hadn't taken my former recruiter's word for it by keeping such a low OAR. But I didn't want to presume to know better than her. We'll see I guess.

It would be good to notice that the subjects with a really high OAR tend to have a really low GPA (at least in the given sample). Of the 10 subjects with a score of 52 and up only 3 have a competitive GPA. Also, I would be willing to bet that the average person that posts here is more likely to have more competitive scores in both OAR and GPA. We only have the data of 20 applicants, and last board they had 175, so there is a lot of wiggle room for the real averages.

NavalAzzam

You can always retake it and reapply. That's what I will do if my 50 OAR and 3.25 GPA don't make it

OfficerHopeful

I feel old now, thanks. Hoping my oar is good enough and they at least glance at my record, I already have some qualifications on the ship required for the swo pin.

Shamgar

It would be good to notice that the subjects with a really high OAR tend to have a really low GPA (at least in the given sample). Of the 10 subjects with a score of 52 and up only 3 have a competitive GPA. Also, I would be willing to bet that the average person that posts here is more likely to have more competitive scores in both OAR and GPA. We only have the data of 20 applicants, and last board they had 175, so there is a lot of wiggle room for the real averages.

Was about to say, looks like the population is positively skewed the results.

exNavyOffRec

In general OAR tracks with GPA, there are of course exceptions just like with everything.

SeaReaver

In general OAR tracks with GPA, there are of course exceptions just like with everything.
Makes perfect sense. I was thinking it might have something to do with STEM majors; since I would assume that they would tend to get higher OAR scores, while at the same time having lower GPAs since many of their classes are graded on a curve.

exNavyOffRec

Makes perfect sense. I was thinking it might have something to do with STEM majors; since I would assume that they would tend to get higher OAR scores, while at the same time having lower GPAs since many of their classes are graded on a curve.

not many colleges grade on a curve anymore, at least none that I went to and none that I covered as an OR.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
You can always retake it and reapply. That's what I will do if my 50 OAR and 3.25 GPA don't make it

Yea, that's the option I will evaluate once responses from my two boards come back this go around if need be. These are my first boards so I have no idea how it will measure up. We shall see. I just do not test well in mathematics so that's where my OAR suffered, I even went through about a month straight of 4 hours a day on Khan Academy. The struggle haha. No idea how I managed an average of 98 in all my math classes before graduating. Sheer will maybe? :p

My college didn't grade on a curve either, just for the record. I haven't heard of any doing so around where I attended college in Virginia.

Ronin88

Yea, that's the option I will evaluate once responses from my two boards come back this go around if need be. These are my first boards so I have no idea how it will measure up. We shall see. I just do not test well in mathematics so that's where my OAR suffered, I even went through about a month straight of 4 hours a day on Khan Academy. The struggle haha. No idea how I managed an average of 98 in all my math classes before graduating. Sheer will maybe? :p

My college didn't grade on a curve either, just for the record. I haven't heard of any doing so around where I attended college in Virginia.

Same here my school did not grade on a curve. I found the OAR pretty rough too I think the only thing that got me through was the physics section. Gotta love those adaptive tests, you know right away if you got the last question right because all of a sudden the next question would be easier or harder. That being said I only had the chance to study for about a week. I was at C school in Pensacola and I went to my DIVO and told him I was interested in OCS and his response was great, your OAR is next Thursday.

mull8337

I think its more because our classes were STEM courses and not business and sociology
My classes were not graded on a curve, but taking advanced calculus and fluid dynamics I think is very different from taking non-stem courses. So yes, I have a lower GPA and a higher OAR. Hopefully it all evens out in the end.