• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS The Not So Friendly Skies....

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Southwest just announced that they will no longer overbook flights. That makes them and JetBlue the first two, I believe.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ranking of most denied boardings.

1. ExpressJet
2. JetBlue
3. Skywest
4. SWA
5. AA
6. Frontier
7. UAL

And that free ticket or credit in travel doesn't get you nearly as much on ExpressJet, JetBlue, SkyWest, Frontier, or even SWA compared to the big three.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Southwest just announced that they will no longer overbook flights. That makes them and JetBlue the first two, I believe.

That seems more logical to me than offering passengers 10K when they have to boot them. If a passenger doesn't show up for their flight, who cares? They already paid for their seat. That's fuel savings for the airline, they should hope for that. I bet the number of passengers who buy refundable tickets and actually need to refund them is very small.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That seems more logical to me than offering passengers 10K when they have to boot them. If a passenger doesn't show up for their flight, who cares? They already paid for their seat. That's fuel savings for the airline, they should hope for that.

No longer overbooking also means less accommodation when you do miss a flight. If they can fill it with a standby, then I can understand their desire to provide accommodation, but if the seat goes empty, then people should no longer expect a free rebooking, as that's lost revenue. That should be obvious and implied, but there are many cases where customers were lucky enough to not be penalized for missing a flight (I was guilty of it once) due to overbooking/standby customers.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That seems more logical to me than offering passengers 10K when they have to boot them. If a passenger doesn't show up for their flight, who cares? They already paid for their seat. That's fuel savings for the airline, they should hope for that. I bet the number of passengers who buy refundable tickets and actually need to refund them is very small.
Flying an empty seat loses money, period. If someone misses their connection (weather, mx, etc) they still get to fly to their destination, potentially displacing someone on the next flight.

Obviously nobody will get offered 10k right off the bat.

Perhaps SWA will start selling cheap standby tickets.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Flying an empty seat loses money, period. If someone misses their connection (weather, mx, etc) they still get to fly to their destination, potentially displacing someone on the next flight.

Obviously nobody will get offered 10k right off the bat.

Perhaps SWA will start selling cheap standby tickets.

You're assuming someone missed a connection and the airline was responsible for that. I'm talking about folks who miss their flight due to their own fault. That is not losing money because the airline has no obligation to accommodate those individuals.

jmcquate

Contributor
The power of a criminal asshole and a couple of yenta's with cellphone cameras...........and to think I still get up every morning and go to work. I guess I've been doing wrong.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
You're assuming someone missed a connection and the airline was responsible for that. I'm talking about folks who miss their flight due to their own fault. That is not losing money because the airline has no obligation to accommodate those individuals.

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of no shows are for missed connections and not passengers just not even arriving at the airport. Anyone know where to find stats on that?