• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I was working through some of the more technical courses when the system went down for those of us not using a MAC. I could use a break. It may be easy for an engineer or an electrician, but for those us who have a history degree, it is like:

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I can't log in on my work computer where I have to enter through my DEERs data, but my home computer (Mac) takes me right to the Terms of Usage page, click okay...I'm in.

I also just registered for three math courses Stats, Trigonometry, and Pre-Calc. We'll see how bad this hurts...might hurt a lot.
Good point Sam I am. I am using my work computer. I tried to login this morning and was not able too. I'll try my computer at home tonight.
I did the Stats, Trig, and Pre-Calc. It is not too bad. I didn't do much of the course review, but still did alright, 70+, on the exams.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I was working through some of the more technical courses when the system went down for those of us not using a MAC. I could use a break. It may be easy for an engineer or an electrician, but for those us who have a history degree, it is like:

Good one Randy. I am an engineer and I did some of the NEETS courses. It was painful for me too. I don't know if I would compare it to hair removal, but I had a good laugh at the video.

ben4prez

pilot
I'm about to transition from Active Reserves to the IRR...and was wondering if doing the classes was "worth my time." So I built the following spreadsheet. You all may find it useful for your own purposes. I was interested to see how much time I should be willing to spend per point given perceived earning potential.

1) If you find any errors, please let me know
2) You can modify the spreadsheet to put your own numbers in, as I made sharing and editing open to everybody. HOWEVER: I'd recommend simply copying and pasting everything into your own personally owned google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/177-f1II9dZ3XsJntny_YUnvJU6Ye7O3ta2Ae7Vx1XzA/edit?usp=sharing

Couple notes...as with most financial models:
Blue Text = hardcoded data that you can change
Black Text = forumulas you shouldnt change

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
I'm about to transition from Active Reserves to the IRR...and was wondering if doing the classes was "worth my time." ...

I did something similar a while ago but I ended up discarding it for a few reasons.
For one thing, there are benefits to being in the IRR and being able to retire that are not easily quantifiable as pay. For example, having a military ID now helps me in small ways as a defense contractor. As another example, a retiree will have access to military medicine, for whatever that is worth (it is worth a TON to me).
The other thing I realized is that each point is not worth merely $1400 (or whatever.) Let's say you've got 19 good years, and you've earned 34 points in your 20th year. How much is that 35th point worth (hint: with it you can retiree and without it you get nothing)?

I'll certainly agree that something like this is useful for determining if it is worth your time to earn any points beyond the minimum number of points each year.

ben4prez

pilot
Definitely agree:
1) Having an ID can matter.
2) Value of military medicine can be quantified as well, but I chose to exclude it for simplicity of my model
3) The 20 year cliff is a very real thing. But assuming you put the time in to make the cliff, it's good to understand what the value of your time needs to be to reach that milestone. While the 35th point in your 20th year is technically the most valuable point you will ever earn, it's only that way because each point before it in the 20th year allowed for that to happen. Thus, it makes sense to amortize all the points up to that point assuming you make the vesting time.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Definitely agree:
1) Having an ID can matter.
2) Value of military medicine can be quantified as well, but I chose to exclude it for simplicity of my model
3) The 20 year cliff is a very real thing. But assuming you put the time in to make the cliff, it's good to understand what the value of your time needs to be to reach that milestone. While the 35th point in your 20th year is technically the most valuable point you will ever earn, it's only that way because each point before it in the 20th year allowed for that to happen. Thus, it makes sense to amortize all the points up to that point assuming you make the vesting time.

Perhaps you may want to think of it as "retirement insurance". No matter what happens to the stock market or the housing market, you (or your spouse and children) will always have this to fall back on, i.e., spreadload your risk. With an O-4 reserve retirement, the main thing is to get 60 points a year (10 points extra to CYA). For an O-5 and O-6, you really want to max your points every year as they can build up.

BTW, NETC is back up.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Perhaps you may want to think of it as "retirement insurance". No matter what happens to the stock market or the housing market, you (or your spouse and children) will always have this to fall back on, i.e., spreadload your risk. With an O-4 reserve retirement, the main thing is to get 60 points a year (10 points extra to CYA). For an O-5 and O-6, you really want to max your points every year as they can build up.

BTW, NETC is back up.
Good points Randy.
I am still having trouble with NETC. I'll keep trying.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently did the basic math and if I pull 25 years of reserve retirement pay it totals up to about $850k for me. That is money I don't have to save, worry about when the stock market tanks or even if it'll show up every month as long as I'm still kicking.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I recently did the basic math and if I pull 25 years of reserve retirement pay it totals up to about $850k for me. That is money I don't have to save, worry about when the stock market tanks or even if it'll show up every month as long as I'm still kicking.

Glad to see you keep pluggin'. As I said previously, I know far too many guys who just walked away after active duty only to seriously regret it a couple of decades later - and quite a few who are deliriously happy they made the decision to stay reserves and are now looking forward to a paycheck from Uncle Sam (60 gets here quicker than you would imagine.)

And NETC just went down again. Another delay on the annual road to 130 points.

jagM3

I'm currently an O-2E SELRES drilling reservist with 2 years in the reserves and 8 years prior enlisted; i'll realistically be transferring to the IRR in the next 1-2 years which I plan to ride out until I hit 20 years doing every correspondence course known to man...I assume i'll likely be a retired O-3E as getting promoted to O4 in the IRR will be next to impossible. Either way, my 8 years prior enlisted time allows me to hit 20 years as an O-3E and still retire, which is a luxury my non-Mustang fellow reserve officers don't have. My question is this: I want to do correspondence courses to go beyond the 130 point cap while I am still in the SELRES; if I do correspondence courses NOW while i'm still SELRES -- do any courses I do NOW for points while SELRES mean I can never retake them in the future for points once joining the IRR in a few years? I'm concerned about doing ANY additional courses right now in fear that it would mean I could not do them while in the IRR, where I will need maximum flexibility in the courses I take. Thanks fellas.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I'm currently an O-2E SELRES drilling reservist with 2 years in the reserves and 8 years prior enlisted; i'll realistically be transferring to the IRR in the next 1-2 years which I plan to ride out until I hit 20 years doing every correspondence course known to man...I assume i'll likely be a retired O-3E as getting promoted to O4 in the IRR will be next to impossible. Either way, my 8 years prior enlisted time allows me to hit 20 years as an O-3E and still retire, which is a luxury my non-Mustang fellow reserve officers don't have. My question is this: I want to do correspondence courses to go beyond the 130 point cap while I am still in the SELRES; if I do correspondence courses NOW while i'm still SELRES -- do any courses I do NOW for points while SELRES mean I can never retake them in the future for points once joining the IRR in a few years? I'm concerned about doing ANY additional courses right now in fear that it would mean I could not do them while in the IRR, where I will need maximum flexibility in the courses I take. Thanks fellas.
jagM3, you can only do NETC courses once - pass or fail. The Navy limited the number of NETC courses we can do based on your designator. I use to do courses for all different rates, but now since I am a CEC I can only do general courses and Seabee courses. BTW I was promoted to O-4 while in the IRR. I am above zone for O-5, and I don't I'll make it.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial

I'm still not able to get into NETC. The NETC Support got back with me and said it was a DEERS problem that they don't know when it will be resolved. To those new to the IRR, we are at the Navy's mercy when it comes to access, so get your courses done early or it may be down when you need it.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial

I was able to login to NETC this afternoon. a couple different hoops to go through to get it to work. I had to refresh the page after logging in and then had to go through a couple certificate error pages, but after that it works.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

You can only get a maximum of 130 points per year from drills, RMP's, AFTP's, correspondence courses, etc per year - so if you are getting 130 in SelRes, there is no reason at all to due courses until you go IRR. (that 130 does not count any type of active duty.)

It appears you have quite a few years left to reach 20 - you may really want to consider the VTU for 2-4 years until you get closer. Some of the other reservists here may want to chime on in. And no, once you complete a course (other than some types of annual NKO training), you can not do it again. One and done.

I was able to login to NETC this afternoon. a couple different hoops to go through to get it to work. I had to refresh the page after logging in and then had to go through a couple certificate error pages, but after that it works.

Thanks for the heads up. Just finished another course.