• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bad First Semester

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Hi all, I transferred after my freshman year, and started at my new school Fall of 2016. That semester went pretty poorly for me, and I came away with a 2.55 thanks to a D in chemistry and a C in calc 1. I'm poised to do much better this semester, with a B in calc 2 being my probable grade. I decided not to continue with Chemistry.

My question is this: will I get to explain, to either a recruiter or to the board, why that semester was bad and how I have improved? I know it will be held against me when the time comes, but I'm concerned by how much.

Thanks

Metallikat

Assuming you can get your overall GPA to minimums required, I would imagine your motivational statement would be a good avenue for speaking to what went wrong that semester.

Sar12

I had a terrible first semester too in college. It was 2.8 or something. I came away with a 3.45 in the end. I think overall GPA is what's going to matter. If they look at your transcripts an upward trajectory is what's important. I also wouldn't address it in your personal statement at all if your GPA is high enough by the time you graduate. Use your personal statement to describe leadership experience and if you don't have any yet go join a club and get a leadership position. Also, study for the OAR a lot when the time comes. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The real question is "did you learn anything from taking TWO hard classes your first semester in a new school?"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A buddy of mine got a 1.9 his first semester at school and still got a 3 year NROTC scholarship, getting a 4.0 the second semester helped. Your final GPA is what matters and an upward trajectory helps a lot.