• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Jets and Levels

Whistle Pig

Can someone explain and/or point me to information that explains the levels of competency among Navy jet pilots?

Specifically, what does "Level 3" mean?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some platforms treat some levels differently. This is what I recall:
Level 0: Newly winged Pilot/NFO
Level 1: FRS complete
Level 2: Tactical Crewman
Level 3: Mission Commander
Level 4: Strike Lead
Level 5: Tactics Instructor

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ACTC level. Can't remember the acronym; I think it stands for Aircrew Combat Training Continuum or something like that. It's the overall framework of how you train aviators. Each community has its own subset, which is the syllabus that that community uses to train its people. For instance, the VFA community calls theirs the SFWTP program, for Strike Fighter Weapons and Tactics Program. VAQ used to call it PWTP (Prowler Weapons and Tactics Program), and now calls it GWTP (three guesses what the difference is).

"Levels" are achieved by completing the requisite syllabus. Generally, you're a Level I when you graduate the RAG. Each community does levels differently, and they mean different things. If you add an "I" at the end, it's an instructor qual for that level. So a "Level III-I" is an instructor qualified to teach Level III events. To be a Level V, you have to be a weapons school grad (TOPGUN, HAVOC, etc), AND detailed to a training officer billet. A TO is responsible to the squadron CO for administering the ACTC program at the unit level, and can instruct any event. Other patches in the squadron are IV-Is.

Each community has its own minimum qual which has to be achieved in a set timeframe during your JO tour, otherwise you get FNAEBed. Prowler people had to be Level III. Fighter/Growler people, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SFWTP and GWTP mandate a Level IV qual minimum.

Edit due to simo-run . . . what ea6bflyr describes are the levels under the old PWTP syllabus, though in my timeframe, Level IV was SEAD lead.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
"Levels" are achieved by completing the requisite syllabus.

I thought it was eating a bunch of Cheetos and clicking the mouse a lot. Well, I guess we're actually not that far off from what you said.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For VP community pilots/NFOs:

Level 1: FRS Grad
Level 2: 2P/COTAC
Level 3: PPC/TC
Level 4M: Mission Commander
Level 4I: Positional instructor (must get MC qual before this)
Level 5: WTI (not tied to a billet you're filling, just that you've graduated the course)

Generally speaking level 2/3 events have to be done by 4Is, but some events might be delegated down to level 3s depending on the syllabus requirements/squadron rules. We're starting back up the training officer thing in the squadron (responsible for ACTC administration but also holistic crew training) that's a level 5 type who gets nominated from a WTI shore duty job (wings, MPRWS, etc).

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
"Levels" are achieved by completing the requisite syllabus. Generally, you're a Level I when you graduate the RAG. Each community does levels differently, and they mean different things. If you add an "I" at the end, it's an instructor qual for that level. So a "Level III-I" is an instructor qualified to teach Level III events. To be a Level V, you have to be a weapons school grad (TOPGUN, HAVOC, etc), AND detailed to a training officer billet. A TO is responsible to the squadron CO for administering the ACTC program at the unit level, and can instruct any event. Other patches in the squadron are IV-Is.

OR detailed to your respective Weapons School Staff or Strike (N5) at NAWDC I believe.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And each syllabus event has pre-reading/study, maybe some computer based training, a quiz or two, and a graded flight event.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For VP community pilots/NFOs:

Level 1: Standard patch
Level 2: Slightly larger than standard patch
Level 3: Giant patch. Let all who sees know thee is a PPC
Level 4M: Patch requires multiple trips to the gym (or multiple, continued Hot Pockets while flying) in order to fit on the flight suit.
Level 4I: <no image of patch available>
Level 5: A surprisingly reasonably-sized patch, but one that makes others snicker and garners questions like, "Why is that dildo giving me the finger?"

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I thought it was eating a bunch of Cheetos and clicking the mouse a lot. Well, I guess we're actually not that far off from what you said.
Classified Cheetos, since you're clicking on a classified mouse doing classified courseware.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

Minor difference for VFA: Once you have completed TOPGUN and are then at either SFWSP or SFWSL you are level 5. You generally don't keep your level 5 as a TO unless you go FDNF, then you get an interim one. I also don't think first tour STRIKE or VX-9 guys are level 5. It doesn't really matter though since that isn't something you need at those places.

Again for VFA:
Level 1 - Just out of the RAG, doesn't know shit and will probably try to kill you.
Level 2 - Tactical or combat wingman. May think he knows shit now, but that is just bad SA. He is still trying to kill you. Should be done with level 2 within about 6 months of arriving.
Level 3 - Section lead. Means he can lead around and employ tactically someone else even if they are level 2. At this point he has completed a lot training and shouldn't try to kill you. He still might though. Especially if he is cocky. This can take around a year post completion of level 2 and is basically the toughest qual for a VFA JO to get.
Level 4 - Division lead. Means he can lead and employ tactically a division or 4 ship. These are senior JOs and generally have about a year or so left in the squadron.
Level 5 - These are the guys that evaluate your check rides (Final level 3 and level 4 flights). I think it is weapons school specific as to who can make division leads.
For the i part it is basically that a guy who has completed level 4 will also get a 3i, or once done with level 3 they will get a 2i. Which means he can instruct someone through level 3 or 2 but that is up to the COs and TOs and there are just a couple of flights that they generally instruct. Not BFM, or the A/A events. The 4i is either the TO, a previous TO, or a DH, CO, or XO who has gotten the qual from the weapons school. This is not a gimme. I've seen plenty of guys not pass their 4i flight.

Another qual for a VFA guy is as a DH you will be expected to get your Strike lead qual. This qual will allow you to lead airing events and is given by CAG.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OR detailed to your respective Weapons School Staff or Strike (N5) at NAWDC I believe.
Ah, good catch. That administrivia penguin must have fallen off the iceberg during the mass influx of SQL Server and data analysis penguins . . . :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some platforms treat some levels differently. This is what I recall:
Level 0: Newly winged Pilot/NFO
Level 1: FRS complete
Level 2: Tactical Crewman
Level 3: Mission Commander
Level 4: Strike Lead
Level 5: Tactics Instructor
Not exactly.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For VAW:
Level 1: 3P/RO (RAG graduate, you're trusted to sit in the airplane and know what not to touch)
Level 2: 2P/ACO (you've been around long enough to be dangerous)
Level 3: CAPC/CICO (Skipper has taken a deep breath and allowed you to sign for the plane, while updating his Linkedin for after you do something that gets him fired)
Level 4: I-CAPC/I-CICO (you're officially allowed to corrupt the FNGs with your bullshit)
Level 5: WTI (you have a patch from Fallon and are a Powerpoint ninja)