• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going OCS -need advice!

exNavyOffRec

RUFiO,

As I mentioned, I actually have a LTJG contact who is willing to help me out with some things, but said person is an academy grad who obviously didn't come from the MC community. As amazing and awesome of a resource as this person is for me, I was just seeing if anybody had any advice from the enlisted viewpoint/mindset. Maybe this isn't the right place for that being an officer link (haha), but just thought I'd see what people think. I appreciate your input either way RUFiO. Thanks for the quick response for a new member!

1. refer to RUFIO's post
2. you said that LTJG is an USNA grad, is he a PAO, if PAO that might be able to help find contacts for good interviews, that is about all he would be good for, not to knock USNA grads but unless they have been an OR they often will give incorrect info for OCS programs, I have seen this many times first hand.
3. as an MC you should really be able to find PAO's yourself that would be able to help you, given what a PAO does you should really be able to figure that out yourself, this could be why many of those selected are CPO/SCPO

CeeJayPA

I completely agree with you. I had the opportunity to serve with this LTJG on my ship who was a SWO and got picked up as a PAO. She has great contacts for me when that time comes in terms of interviews and setting up LOR's, and luckily her brother went through OCS (not sure what for), so she should be a little more reliable in that department, one would think. I already realize that I really just have to get out there and get as much community involvement as possible, as I have already seen on here in a short time viewing threads that the "whole package" concept is a big thing. In terms of who to talk to, I have no shortage of resources, but I am always eager to hear the views of others, especially those of you who are senior posters here and can get to the point quickly. I suppose there is not much more for me to ask about here, and just do as best as possible on my OAR, continue on to my Master's, and keep submitting packages to show the board that I am consistently trying to improve with each submission. I realize that it may take a while, but I am trying not to be in the mindset that it is not worthwhile for me to try early on. Make rank, volunteer, study, submit, repeat...Thank you for your input those of you kind of enough to reply to a newbie. See you all around in the future, hopefully...

exNavyOffRec

I completely agree with you. I had the opportunity to serve with this LTJG on my ship who was a SWO and got picked up as a PAO. She has great contacts for me when that time comes in terms of interviews and setting up LOR's, and luckily her brother went through OCS (not sure what for), so she should be a little more reliable in that department, one would think. I already realize that I really just have to get out there and get as much community involvement as possible, as I have already seen on here in a short time viewing threads that the "whole package" concept is a big thing. In terms of who to talk to, I have no shortage of resources, but I am always eager to hear the views of others, especially those of you who are senior posters here and can get to the point quickly. I suppose there is not much more for me to ask about here, and just do as best as possible on my OAR, continue on to my Master's, and keep submitting packages to show the board that I am consistently trying to improve with each submission. I realize that it may take a while, but I am trying not to be in the mindset that it is not worthwhile for me to try early on. Make rank, volunteer, study, submit, repeat...Thank you for your input those of you kind of enough to reply to a newbie. See you all around in the future, hopefully...

"whole person concept" is a buzz word that is used that really isn't true, each designator has the main things they look for, if 2 people are "tied" then they will dig into the application.

CeeJayPA

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the idea is to not put oneself in a position where a tie is a possibility!