• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Professional Reading Drop Box

Pags

N/A
pilot
This article uses a lot of words to say, "I have no f'ing clue what I'm talking about....", brought to you by CIMSEC:

THE AGE OF THE STRIKE CARRIER IS OVER - by LT X.
Ugh. What a terrible article written by a guy who's obviously a SWO. He pretty much lost me once he completely mis-characterized the Pacific War by cherry picking data. He went right from Doolittle to Guadalcanal to Oki. No mention of Coral Sea, Midway, Hailstone, Phillipine Sea, Leyte Gulf, or the countless other raids against various islands.

His characterization of tech limits against Vietnam and ODS aren't a case of the failure of the CV and CVW but a case of USN to properly adopt new technology to meet emerging threads and is a well understood shortfall of those wars.

He doesn't specify a solution other than some pie in the sky ASW V-22.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
He lost me when he dismissed the Doolittle raid as "only" having strategic value with no tactical or operational merit. Spoken like someone who truly came up in a OIF/OEF/Libya world...

I don't think our projection from the sea has ever reasonably been imagined to be decisive in the way he proposes it ought to be. Rapid mobility and providing limited striking power prior to access being available for expeditionary air forces IS a strategic affect (see also: GHWB/CVW-8 v ISIS sans USAF). Fixing the adversaries attention and resources by posing a credible threat IS a strategic affect - a carrier can do that.

I'm not so sure it was a SWO that wrote it....

Last edited:

BigRed389

None
Read to me more like pining after the good old days of War at Sea, with Tomcats doing their Air Defense thing, Harpoon salvos at Soviet SAGs, and S3s for organic fixed wing ASW.
That may be reasonable if thats what the projected threat deserves.

What's weird to me is...was that somehow mutually exclusive with Strike back in the Cold War?

Pags

N/A
pilot
He lost me when he dismissed the Doolittle raid as "only" having strategic value with no tactical or operational merit. Spoken like someone who truly came up in a OIF/OEF/Libya world...

I don't think our projection from the sea has ever reasonably been imagined to be decisive in the way he proposes it ought to be. Rapid mobility and providing limited striking power prior to access being available for expeditionary air forces IS a strategic affect (see also: GHWB/CVW-8 v ISIS sans USAF). Fixing the adversaries attention and resources by posing a credible threat IS a strategic affect - a carrier can do that.

I'm not so sure it was a SWO that wrote it....
This article shows that a little bit too much JPME is a dangerous thing.

"The Carrier is Dead" articles are a bit overdone and border on click bait.

Not a SWO? Do tell...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Oh just a cynical guess.
I managed to make it to the end via a skim read. The conclusion/recommendations do seem like they came from an aviator but an aviator who isn't overly familiar with current order of battle. His glom on to the V-22 for ASW is odd at best. Using the LHD for ASW is a secondary role for the LHD but it shouldn't be left alone and unafraid against an ASW threat. Seems like there are lots of holes in his logic so not sure if it's ignorance or more cherry picking.

I know @squorch2 didnt write it because it doesn't mention a Helo CAG :).

Unless you wrote it, then good job. Gold stars all around a and mom should hang it on the fridge. :)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I most certainly did not write that. Pretty sure I'd be forced to hand over my Tailhook membership card.... I also don't think @squorch2 wrote it. And, it was the ASW non-sense that led me to believe it's newly minted VP or HSM weapons school grad :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
I most certainly did not write that. Pretty sure I'd be forced to hand over my Tailhook membership card.... I also don't think @squorch2 wrote it. And, it was the ASW non-sense that led me to believe it's newly minted VP or HSM weapons school grad :)
Must be VP. A new HSM WTI wouldn't sell out the 60R for a V-22. And there was a distinct unfamiliarity with small boys beyond a vague mention of a V-22 lily pad onboard LCS and a fascination with high altitude long loiter ASW. Might have been @CommodoreMid.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...He pretty much lost me once he completely mis-characterized the Pacific War by cherry picking data....

His statement about battleships proving themselves useful, comparing them to carriers by implication, really made me laugh.

And this takes a special sort of self-righteousness:

View attachment 16755

I can understand anonymity in a few cases when advocating something controversial but it certainly isn't needed in this case. Naval officers have been writing controversial things for over 100 years in Proceedings, which doesn't allow anonymous inputs I believe, and many other professional publications with few if any professional or personal repercussions. If you are going to write something like this, own it.

danpass

I was somewhat familiar with ww1 and certainly blame the Versailles treaty for ww2.

Ww1 was about 100 years after Napoleon and we're now about 100 years after ww1, which was an intersection of old psychology with modern weapons.

I feel we may be in a similar place today, the intersection of yesterday's tactics and mentalities but using today and tomorrow's technologies (especially cyber).

I'd like to think hindsight will benefit foresight this time.
Someone else who sees various parallels:

http://csweb.brookings.edu/content/research/essays/2013/rhyme-of-history.html

I heard about this when LtGen McMasters referenced it in his recent talk at CSIS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-csis-podcast/id214886950?mt=2&i=381863753