• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are O4s considered JOs?

jtmedli

pilot
I didn't realize you were talking about the flying CWO program. I thought you were talking about CWO's in general. The flying CWO program has been scrapped. Apparently the Navy had your views of, "What's the point?" The flying CWO's from this past decade are now LTs.

To be fair, the Navy was so incredibly half-hearted about the CWO program that it never stood a chance.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
2015-08-28-Strip_398_Wondrous_Sundries_web.jpg

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
What I completely don't understand is that how a USN officer once commissioned in any URL community and subsequently reached O-3 (essentially non-competitively) then out, could become less than O-3 in other military service? Or if you resigned your commission wherever it was obtained, the other service you'd like to join afterwards doesn't care whether you had any commission before and you are again on square one?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Think you are just talking the niche scenario of a USN helo dude doing a lat transfer to the USCG, where the demotion to O-2 occurs. Have not heard of this happening to any other walk of life/service transfer.

Max the Mad Russian

No, rather what RobLyman presents here. 60' driver in USN should be URL NA of 1310/1315, a commissioned officer. Supposedly left the Navy as O-3, like average one. And now he is ANG 60' jock, and a warrant officer, though commissioned, too, but in totally different way. Dunno how to compare Navy O-3 and Army CW3, but it seems that it's like apple and orange, while by all reasonable military career considerations he should have started in ANG as O-3, too. Am I wrong?

Max the Mad Russian

Though, I've read that back in 1948 just before "Adm Revolt", at least one USN RADM (or Commodore existed then) who missed the chance to command an aircraft carrier earlier in his career but somehow got the flag rank, exchanged his star back for eagle and a carrier's bridge. But in any case it is not the same...

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
For the record, I could have gone straight across to O-4 in the Army National Guard, but chose to revert to CW2. However, there can be an issue with finding a slot/billet at your current rank. For me, I had a very successful career outside and chose, at the time, to just fly after work and weekends while I did my other job. After eight months of training back to back (AQC, MTP, M transition, M MTP, maintenance courses, etc..), I changed my mind and decided I would pursue a full time position in the guard. Timing and luck resulted in a job offer as I finished my last course.

Max the Mad Russian

Thank you, now I see, that's your free will.
This is absolutely impossible here in Russia - no one can down you in rank, including yourself, no matter which service you've reached it in. And other service is forced to accept you with your present rank. It's a law and more - this is a tradition. That's why I've asked. Again, thanks a lot.

Max the Mad Russian

For the theme in general: I suppose this is an outcome of the British way of naval life, a heritage. Look, the Captain in Royal Navy is not pure rank, this is a billet in itself: a CO of capital ship. A Commander too, not just a rank, it is a billet for XO of a capital ship. When people on British battleship referred to someone as simply "Commander", it meant XO. A DHs on British battleship were all Commanders, too: Commander (E) for CHENG, Commander (N) for NAV etc. In this parlance LtCdr, a rank and a billet simultaneously too (assistant DH) had not ehough seniority to advice CO in some special affairs, let alone substitute XO. That is why O-4 is a JO formally.