• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On FX, "Taboo" just started. First two episodes are pretty good. Tom Hardy glowering and growling his way around Regency London.

I don't think it's on any of the streaming TV services, but "Jetstream" can be found in full on YouTube. It's a few years old but I finally got around to watching it. Follows a class through the Canadian Hornet FRS (or whatever they call it) at Cold Lake. Interesting the different training philosophy of the RCAF, not least that the RPs only get one or two solos in the course. The rest they have an IP in the trunk, even for stuff that I'd expect a winged aviator to do solo, like a long CCX.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
On FX, "Taboo" just started. First two episodes are pretty good. Tom Hardy glowering and growling his way around Regency London.

I don't think it's on any of the streaming TV services, but "Jetstream" can be found in full on YouTube. It's a few years old but I finally got around to watching it. Follows a class through the Canadian Hornet FRS (or whatever they call it) at Cold Lake. Interesting the different training philosophy of the RCAF, not least that the RPs only get one or two solos in the course. The rest they have an IP in the trunk, even for stuff that I'd expect a winged aviator to do solo, like a long CCX.

That's interesting. Most of the Commonwealth countries have a reputation for being more fast and loose with their training philosophies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
On Amazon Prime, "The Night Manager" is pretty interesting. 2 episodes in and it's about an ex-military British ex-pat who sees some shady shit go down while the night manager of a high end hotel during the Arab Spring and is inspired to join MI-6 take down an arms dealer.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Started watching "Gomorra" last night on Netflix. Italian drama about warring Naples Mafia families. So far it's very very good. Sort of "The Sopranos" in the style of "The Wire", and in Italian.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
If anyone has spent any time in Japan or enjoys Japanese culture at all, I highly recommend Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories. My liver is (not) enjoying Saturday too wholesomely to type up anything not riddles with typos or worth reading, but this thread popped up in my "New Posts" page and this is a great Netflix original, so there it is.

EDIT: Show is in Japanese with English subtitles.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Just finished watching 60 Minutes - story on the sinking of the El Faro in 2015. CRM - one bad luck after another. Big takeaway was the bridge getting one set of weather data while the captain below (who was asleep until 3 hours before the ship sinking) was getting a different, 6 hour delayed set of data ( a rapidly strengthening and course changing hurricane) - and the bridge officers not being forceful enough in waking the captain.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/incredibly-moving-audio-from-el-faros-final-hours/

2015-10-08t140815z615543541tm3eba80ryd01rtrmadp3ship-elfaro.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Just finished watching 60 Minutes - story on the sinking of the El Faro in 2015. CRM - one bad luck after another. Big takeaway was the bridge getting one set of weather data while the captain below (who was asleep until 3 hours before the ship sinking) was getting a different, 6 hour delayed set of data ( a rapidly strengthening and course changing hurricane) - and the bridge officers not being forceful enough in waking the captain.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/incredibly-moving-audio-from-el-faros-final-hours/

2015-10-08t140815z615543541tm3eba80ryd01rtrmadp3ship-elfaro.jpg
I saw the report as well. An amazing set of circumstances and poor decision making toward combined with some notable bravery. I still find it amazing how quickly the sea can consume an entire ship.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Been watching "heavy water wars" while riding the wuba chariot. Not too bad.

That one is awesome. Can't say enough good things about it.

Don't know if it's been on here yet, but "Our World War" is fucking epic as well, especially the tank episode.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Remember "The Final Countdown"? Just noticed on Netflix "Flight World War II". (It was a 2015 straight to DVD if that tells you anything...haven't had time to watch but thought the airline guys would be curious about)

Can your 757 outrun a ME-262???

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
"The Final Countdown." That movie was so cool. Still, as with all time travel movies, they created an impossible quirk - why didn't the deaths of the HS-9 Seaking crew altercthe future?...Wait, never mind...the Nimitz was an east coast boat and HS-9 was a JAX squadron. Now there's some time travel!

jmcquate

Contributor
Ya, hi-vis VF-84 Tomcats shooting down ex Tora Tora Tora SNJs painted up like Zeros...........with yaw strings.............priceless. Oh, and a recce Sader making a run over Pearl on 12/6/41 to boot.