• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trump's Executive Order To Rebuild Military

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That's the draft - where's the signed copy?
There is almost no difference.
The full text of the executive order is as follows:

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, including my authority as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States, I hereby direct the following:

Section 1. Policy. To pursue peace through strength, it shall be the policy of the United States to rebuild the
U.S. Armed Forces.

Sec. 2. Readiness.
(a) The Secretary of Defense (Secretary) shall conduct a 30-day Readiness Review. As part of this review, the Secretary shall:
(i) assess readiness conditions, including training, equipment maintenance, munitions, modernization, and infrastructure; and
(ii) submit to the President a report identifying actions that can be implemented within the current fiscal year and that are necessary to improve
readiness conditions.
(b) Concurrently with the Readiness Review, the Secretary, together with the Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), shall develop a Fiscal Year (FY) 2017 budget amendment for military readiness, including any proposed reallocations.
(c) The Secretary shall work with the Director of OMB to develop levels for the Department of Defense's FY 2018 budget request that are necessary to improve readiness conditions and address risks to national security.
(d) Within 60 days of the date of this order, the Secretary shall submit to the President a plan of action to achieve the levels of readiness identified in the Secretary's Readiness Review before FY 2019. That plan of action shall address areas for improvement, including insufficient maintenance, delays in acquiring parts, access to training ranges, combatant command operational demands, funding needed for consumables (e.g., fuel, ammunition), manpower shortfalls, depot maintenance capacity, and time needed to plan, coordinate, and execute readiness and training activities.

Sec. 3. Rebuilding the U.S. Armed Forces.
(a) Upon transmission of a new National Security Strategy to Congress, the Secretary shall produce a National Defense Strategy (NDS). The goal of the NDS shall be to give the President and the Secretary maximum strategic flexibility and to determine the force structure necessary to meet requirements.
(b) The Secretary shall initiate a new Nuclear Posture Review to ensure that the United States nuclear deterrent is modern, robust, flexible, resilient, ready, and appropriately tailored to deter 21st-century threats and reassure our allies.
(c) The Secretary shall initiate a new Ballistic Missile Defense Review to identify ways of strengthening missile-defense capabilities, rebalancing homeland and theater defense priorities, and highlighting priority funding areas.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Where's the authoritative copy? You know, the one that's supposed to be available to the public.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/executive-orders doesn't have it.

Neither does https://www.federalregister.gov/executive-orders/donald-trump/2017
OK, I see the confusion. First of all, what was signed is not an "Executive Order" (and I helped move that error along). What you see above, and what Trump signed, is National Security Presidential Memorandum 1...a memorandum. Right now Whitehouse.gov has about 1/4 of the presidential memorandum up. More important, you have no inherent right, as a citizen, to read any presidential memorandum. They are internal documents to be released at the end of his term or when he approves such.

If you still have a bug up your butt you can actually find a picture of him holding up the signed document. If you zoom enough you can see the text is the same.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
More important, you have no inherent right, as a citizen, to read any presidential memorandum.

Congress disagrees with you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Information_Act_(United_States) - but more importantly, why not publish this memo on the Presidential Memoranda site? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Information_Act_(United_States))

Numerous others have been posted - and if this one isn't secret, why not post the authoritative version?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
1. Congress does not disagree with me. In fact, I challenge you to find every Obama Administration defense memorandum, including only unclassified ones...you won't.

2. So, cut to the chase. What has you so burned? What do you fear so very much? A new president wants a new focus on defense and you are...what?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. Congress does not disagree with me. In fact, I challenge you to find every Obama Administration defense memorandum, including only unclassified ones...you won't.

2. So, cut to the chase. What has you so burned? What do you fear so very much? A new president wants a new focus on defense and you are...what?

A new president who's just demoted the DNI and CJCS in favor of a guy who ran a website for a while.

Unease about how this new administration is doing things doesn't equal admiration for his predecessor.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
A new president who's just demoted the DNI and CJCS in favor of a guy who ran a website for a while.

Unease about how this new administration is doing things doesn't equal admiration for his predecessor.
Your "unease," valid or not, has nothing to do with the internal workings of a presidential administration.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your "unease," valid or not, has nothing to do with the internal workings of a presidential administration.

I'm well aware that the President doesn't give much of a damn what I think or anyone on this board. That wasn't my point, and you know that.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I came to this world while Eisenhower was president. I have personally served in the armed forces under six Commander's in Chief. Some were great and some were dogs, but not one of them (including the worst...in my opinion) did anything to intentionally harm the US. Each and every one, however, did work to shape the US military into an organization they wanted to see. It is their job.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Operating in the dark with unnecessary secrecy is bad for democracy.

To wit: the order reforming the NSC was published, but not this one? *Why?*

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Operating in the dark with unnecessary secrecy is bad for democracy.

To wit: the order reforming the NSC was published, but not this one? *Why?*
I get it, your guy/gal lost. I have been through it in tougher times than these. As I noted above, I served for six (no wait...seven!) different administrations, some good, some bad. I watched the Navy get smaller, bigger, smaller, bigger...and so on. You will get through this.

As for your "Why?" I guess that falls under the rubric of "too bad." Thousands of pages of unclassified memorandum are passed along by each administration each year without your intimate knowledge. You are conflating your political views a bit much.

Still, why won't you accept the following...photographic evidence or journalistic evidence? I imagine that if it were negative news you would accept any source at any time.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
We just continue to have unanswered questions. People have had those. We're not taking up arms or even lawsuits over it. Just asking questions. Nothing's been wrong w/ that no matter who's "guy or gal" has won or lost, for as long as there have been presidents. Just asking questions...