• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know, seems mildly amusing and a way to bring the Airwing together...and then you mentioned the Goat Locker and I stopped listening.
It would have been exactly that if it'd lasted more than two days before getting shut down. *sad trombone noise*

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
How good are the gyms on aircraft carriers?

Depends on how much the carrier cares about them based on the two carriers I've been on.

The first one I went on had a super-fit, super energetic fit boss that held lots of classes every day and even in the evening (midnight spin outside was always cool) in the hangar bay and the "seaside" gym and were pretty popular for almost everyone.

The weight gyms, in general, are the "iron gyms" of the past mostly - just grime and sweat on top of a variety of free weights and pull up bars. Cardio gyms are a mix between rowing machines, a couple ellipticals, treadmills, hamster wheels, and spin bikes and can vary from location.

What matters more is if the gym has khaki hours in the gym and if your schedule will line up with that, or finding ways to work it into your schedule. Usually, super late at night is good or super early in the morning, like 0400-0600 is good.

Fins Out

Pretty bad on all the boats I've been on; they could be nice but mediocrity rules. If you want to anything consistent you need to avoid what 5,000 other people normally do. Anything that involves beach muscles, fuggedaboutit. Ellipticals and treadmills always had lines but I never once had to wait to use one of the 4 rowers during the entire deployment. Invest some of your future tax free in things like a mat, ab wheel, power rack, etc.

Oh, and don't be surprised when someone threatens to bring you to mast for dropping bumper plates in the hangar bay.

JukeboxEmperor

Wants into space
None
On the two I've seen, pretty decent but packed during convenient hours. That is, everyone goes right before and right after shift (and a few during lunch). You either need to go during work (not always possible if you have a real job) or be on night shift. If you can't swing either one, get used to fighting for a spot or losing sleep to go before/after the rush. Bringing friends probably helps.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None

Agree with everything that's been said, but it also pays off to do some exploring. On the Nimitz I found an empty P-way just forward and one deck up from Hangar Bay 1 that had 4 rowing machines just sitting there, not publicized at all. I was always the only one there using them. There were a few ellipticals and treadmills scattered about too. Whatever you do though, if you find a hidden workout machine, be careful who you tell about it.