• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and looking for a little guidance. I took the ASTB through my ROTC unit a couple of weeks ago and received scores of 62 7/7/8. I'm told that's a decent score; my question is, with a GPA of 3.57, how are my chances of service selecting SNA over SNFO? I'm worried that because my SNFO score is a point higher than my SNA score, I might not get picked up for SNA. Are my concerns valid, or are my scores close enough (and good enough) to get selected SNA over SNFO? Thank you all for your help and guidance!

You are ROTC right? if so the measurement used to gauge how civilians should get picked up and how ROTC get picked up is not equal, you are at the needs of the USN, you should be asking what your LT thinks.

NavyGator1453

You are ROTC right? if so the measurement used to gauge how civilians should get picked up and how ROTC get picked up is not equal, you are at the needs of the USN, you should be asking what your LT thinks.
Thanks for the information! Yes, I am ROTC. My LT said he would likely keep the scores, but wasn't sure how the higher SNFO score might impact service selection considering the SNA score was so close. That's why I came here for some more input.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the information! Yes, I am ROTC. My LT said he would likely keep the scores, but wasn't sure how the higher SNFO score might impact service selection considering the SNA score was so close. That's why I came here for some more input.

apples and oranges, you need to get a reply or ask specifically for those in or having been in NROTC

FlapJ4ck

So, I am an ROTC MIDN and I got SNA with 6/7/5...
Friends in my unit also got SNA with 7/8/7, 5/8/7, 6/5/5, and 6/6/6. I usually only see 7s, 8s, and 9s, on here so I thought this may ease some younger/future MIDN/OCS worries about ASTB scores. Again, this is ROTC, so other factors are involved, but it proves ASTB scores are not everything.
If your ASTB scores aren't great, try again, but make use of your other strengths!

NavyGator1453

So, I am an ROTC MIDN and I got SNA with 6/7/5...
Friends in my unit also got SNA with 7/8/7, 5/8/7, 6/5/5, and 6/6/6. I usually only see 7s, 8s, and 9s, on here so I thought this may ease some younger/future MIDN/OCS worries about ASTB scores. Again, this is ROTC, so other factors are involved, but it proves ASTB scores are not everything.
If your ASTB scores aren't great, try again, but make use of your other strengths!
Thank you very much! I feel a lot better after reading through that. I appreciate the input, and I think I'll keep those scores. Thanks!

Mxdamien

Good Evening Ladies and Gentleman,
I am taking the ASTB-E for the first time next week and have been studying a bit. My main question is I heard that the test questions are "adaptive". So with that being said, is it better to take your time and make sure you answer the question correctly even if it means not finishing them all (somewhat disregarding time to favor correctness) or is it better to finish all of the questions even if it means guessing on a few and maybe getting them wrong? (I know answering all of them correct within the time period is optimal, I just have never taken an "adaptive" test before and I saw that some people on here have had fewer questions than others on sections).
So far I have been using:
Barrons study guide
Online flashcards from proprofs
Forgotten Algebra
Some gouges listed in here

Thanks Everyone
v/r

hdr777

pilot
is it better to take your time and make sure you answer the question correctly even if it means not finishing them all (somewhat disregarding time to favor correctness) or is it better to finish all of the questions even if it means guessing on a few and maybe getting them wrong? (I know answering all of them correct within the time period is optimal, I just have never taken an "adaptive" test before and I saw that some people on here have had fewer questions than others on sections).

There is a time limit, but the test stops after it determines you answer a certain number of questions and it has determined your level. You don't know how many questions there are, it will move on to the next section when it decides. I think it is better to take your time, go a little slower to get the question correct, don't take all day but it is better to get a question right even if it takes a little bit to figure out, versus guessing and getting it wrong

RovingGent

Hey, so I just took most of the ASTB today (their tech was down, so I'm having to take the stick/video game portion Monday) and was totally blindsided by the personality profile section. I had done the practice test I found a link to here that had a spatial appreciation section where you match pictures of planes with cockpit views and then it had the nautical/aviation knowledge section. It did not have this personality test, which was utterly brutal, and the actual test didn't have any spatial appreciation section. On this personality thing, you had to pick which of two statements you agreed with more and most of the time both statements were horrible. It was like either "I can't perform in stressful situations," or "I have a major problem with authority." Or "I quit tasks when they become difficult," or "I can't work well with others." Jesus, ask me how often I beat my wife, while you're at it. I'm only exaggerating slightly in saying almost all the questions were like that. Not at all sure how I did, but does anyone have any info on this, or on how it's scored or how you're supposed to approach it? I suspect I'll end up having to repeat in 31 days.

exNavyOffRec

Hey, so I just took most of the ASTB today (their tech was down, so I'm having to take the stick/video game portion Monday) and was totally blindsided by the personality profile section. I had done the practice test I found a link to here that had a spatial appreciation section where you match pictures of planes with cockpit views and then it had the nautical/aviation knowledge section. It did not have this personality test, which was utterly brutal, and the actual test didn't have any spatial appreciation section. On this personality thing, you had to pick which of two statements you agreed with more and most of the time both statements were horrible. It was like either "I can't perform in stressful situations," or "I have a major problem with authority." Or "I quit tasks when they become difficult," or "I can't work well with others." Jesus, ask me how often I beat my wife, while you're at it. I'm only exaggerating slightly in saying almost all the questions were like that. Not at all sure how I did, but does anyone have any info on this, or on how it's scored or how you're supposed to approach it? I suspect I'll end up having to repeat in 31 days.
it is now a 90 day wait

Mr. Penisburg

I'm set to take my third and final attempt at the ASTB next week. I'm applying for the Marines, and current minimums are 4/6/6. So far Ive scored 5/5/6 and 6/5/6. Does anyone have any knowlege on how to study specifically to improve my PFAR?
Any help is greatly appreciated