• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

14 NOV 16 Pilot/NFO Board

Bravo Kilo

I was born in Ukraine, so even though I'm fully naturalized and a US citizen, they wanted me to send out an official notice to the Ukrainian embassy denouncing my "citizenship" with them.
I figured it was much, much easier and faster to just do as asked instead of trying to prove that I don't have dual citizenship (apparently lack of Ukrainian passport doesn't count).

My brother and I had issues with this throughout our application processes, so I'm actually happy to finally be done with this once and for all. One less thing to worry about at OCS.
I had to do something similar. I have a dual US/UK citizenship, my OR and I drafted up a renunciation letter saying I would renounce the UK one if selected. However since my parents were born in different countries, I had to make identical letters for those countries too. Not because my parents or I had citizenships to those, but some countries will offer you citizenship by birthright or if your heritage is originally/partially from there. From what I gather it's just a formality. Better to be safe than sorry.

Alex302

Hey everyone!!

My officer recruiter and I are putting together a packet!!
My scores are as follows:
52 OAR
6 AQR
7 PFAR
6 FOFAR

GPA: 2.57 (ABYSMAL)
I have lots of leadership experience being the president of a college men's society and I played varsity sports. I also have lots of volunteer experience plus a few great recommendations! (One from a LCmdr)

The selection boards are in January, and I just wanted to know what the recent chance of getting picked up are!!! I hope the navy starts expanding and we ALL get selected haha!!! :)

If it makes you feel better about your chances on getting selected I just got a pro rec y with a 2.57 gpa and slightly lower astb scores. Having a strong packet in other areas will definitely help.

Jad4400

I just.... sorta... got my finsel today. I had to mail something out so assuming it gets to where it's going on time, I'll be shipping out on the 8th of january too.

For now I'll pretend I'm going!

Woohoo! Congrats sabreman!

What did you have to mail out? Looks like I'm the only Portland NRD left without a FINSEL

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Potatum! I'd love for Portland to represent at OCS!

exNavyOffRec

It all depends man. It varies from board to board. Yea your GPA is less than great but the Navy tends to look at the "whole person". With that being said I would do what you can to raise it up. There aren't any real magic numbers or sure-fire ways of getting selected.

When it comes to SNA and SNFO whole person concept is out the window, it is all about ASTB, seen many more picked up who did nothing but have good grades and good ASTB then had low ASTB and tons of leadership and community involvement, shoot I have seen several who had great GPA's and leadership but their ASTB was at the minimum who were pro N

Jad4400

I forgot to ask, my recruiter wants me to come in tomorrow for swearing in and processing. Is this something I should bring family to? I figured it was probably going to be a lot of paperwork so should I just get a picture and send it to my mom or should she come if she wants to. I've heard it can vary for location to location.

pYn9590

If it makes you feel better about your chances on getting selected I just got a pro rec y with a 2.57 gpa and slightly lower astb scores. Having a strong packet in other areas will definitely help.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to emphasize your other positive qualities? Was it in your personal statement? I have a lot of extracurricular experience and would like to highlight that as well.

Alex302

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to emphasize your other positive qualities? Was it in your personal statement? I have a lot of extracurricular experience and would like to highlight that as well.
Well as navyoffrec mentioned the astb seems to be the biggest deal. Other than that I already have a NAMI endorsement. Whether or not that means much I don't know however navyoffrec has mentioned that it likely doesn't do much selection wise. The other thing I did was let it all out in my statement. One thing I can say is when writing your statement don't mention that you just wanna be a pilot and don't say what you hope to get from the Navy. Tell them what you have to give them. How can you make the Navy better.

pYn9590

Well as navyoffrec mentioned the astb seems to be the biggest deal. Other than that I already have a NAMI endorsement. Whether or not that means much I don't know however navyoffrec has mentioned that it likely doesn't do much selection wise. The other thing I did was let it all out in my statement. One thing I can say is when writing your statement don't mention that you just wanna be a pilot and don't say what you hope to get from the Navy. Tell them what you have to give them. How can you make the Navy better.

I'm currently studying to retake the ASTB and improve my score. I'll definitely have to completely rewrite my personal statement, lay out all my extracurricular activities and really emphasize the fact that I do intend to serve my country and make the Navy better. I feel like that's something I can improve and make clear in my next package.

GoofyBoss18

Prorec Y SNA/NFO
I forgot to ask, my recruiter wants me to come in tomorrow for swearing in and processing. Is this something I should bring family to? I figured it was probably going to be a lot of paperwork so should I just get a picture and send it to my mom or should she come if she wants to. I've heard it can vary for location to location.
Yes. This is something you can bring your family to so they can take pictures. That's if your family is big on that. Some people don't take family. I will because my mom is all about picture memories :)

Benjamin D.

"Oh that's just Scott...."
Recruiter called me up this morning with my FINSEL. Looks like I'll be heading out there on January 8th as well which is A LOT sooner than I anticipated...

Dewse5150

When it comes to SNA and SNFO whole person concept is out the window, it is all about ASTB, seen many more picked up who did nothing but have good grades and good ASTB then had low ASTB and tons of leadership and community involvement, shoot I have seen several who had great GPA's and leadership but their ASTB was at the minimum who were pro N
If thats the case why did some people get "tabled" that had higher ASTBs than ones the were prorec y?

exNavyOffRec

If thats the case why did some people get "tabled" that had higher ASTBs than ones the were prorec y?

I have never seen a SNA/SNFO board actually table people, I have seen people talk about being tabled before but what really happened was they just didn't get submitted to board for a variety of reasons, NRC processor on leave and the applications were left in work queue, shot back for corrections and didn't get back up to NRC in time, NRD forgot to send it, etc....... doesn't mean they didn't table it, but rare.

another option is that they were only going to see "X" number of applications due to one reason or another and those that were over were just pushed to another board.