• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Bob Hoover Passes Away

jmcquate

Contributor
Sad. I got to see him fly his Yellow Rockwell P-51 and his Shrike deadstick loop and land many times.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
:( He was a remarkable pilot, I still find it amazing he stole a German FW-190 after escaping Stalag Luft I and flew it to Holland treetop level.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Blue Skies... Always feel fortunate that I was able to see him fly many times growing up.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A personal Bob Hoover memory. Right after getting my wings I was home for a awhile on the way to North Island. There was an airshow in town and some of my old flying buddies from college were volunteers setting up for the show. I came along and set up my share of cones, show line tape, barricades and even help some of the airshow pilots turn their aircraft around after practice. As afternoon wore on and actively slowed, I walked the line looking at airplanes. I came upon Bob Hoover at a T-28C. We started to talk about the T-28 and the relative differences between them. When he referenced the tail hook I mentioned I was Navy. He was thrilled to hear I just got my wings and was a classic airplane guy before the Navy. He appreciated all the work the volunteers had done. He said he was going to fly his practice the next morning, day of the show, bright and early. If I wanted to come along in the Mustang jumpseat I could. We arranged a time. I show up next morning, a good 15 minutes early, only to see him taxing off with a pretty young lady in the back seat!!! Karma is a bitch though. After his second day airshow performance he nearly landed the Mustang gear up. Got a late go around call as everyone assumed it was a low pass. He curled the props but made it back around for a safe landing. RIP

Last edited: