• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Gouge for those about to commission as a DCO

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
That's good to know. I'll probably keep the matte shoes and just give them a good polish. There's something to be said for wearing comfortable shoes.

Thankfully I am not too far from Annapolis so that's where I was able to pick-up the uniform and get alterations. Still had to pay $33 for striping and specialty insignia for the sleeves, hemming pants is free. Turn around should be less than a week which is pretty good given the number of uniform sitting in the back waiting to be worked on.

Forgot to mention: bring some Downy/Febreeze with wrinkle release if you can find it. Some folks will try and put their Khakis through the washing machines. Please don't; can't stress this enough. Unless they're heavily soiled, just give them a good misting with Febreeze and let them air dry. At $120 per set, you really don't want to have to make an extra trip to uniform supply.

They don't get suspicious when everyone starts to smell like Febreeze by day 4? Though that's a good tip. These things don't look particularly washable despite the tag claiming machine-washable permanent press. Does the Febreeze option work for regular care for them? Dry cleaning after every SK uniform of the day drill seems a bit much. Actually, more generally, how do I do the laundry on these things? Can I put my NWU through the machine? Does it need ironing afterwards? SKs are dry clean/Febreeze only? Can I iron them at least to make them look a bit sharper (they look like they just came out of a plastic bag, which they did)?

Another question: pack list has "reflective belt." I actually have to buy this thing?

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Most (but not all) compartments(rooms) will have reflective belts stowed on top of the desks. They may be in various states of (dis)repair. It's 6$ for a new one; your call.

A company that smells Febreez fresh is preferable to one that smells of baked in funk. The laundry officers should be able to handle running your stuff to the cleaners, but I didn't think to make use of it. Since I had the Downy/Febreeze on hand, that's what I used. If you're worried about smelling too 'pretty', use less of it. Or maybe use Axe.

Khakis are indeed machine washable, but that requires that you wait for them to dry, and then invest time in ironing them. All this takes away from your sleep...
Plus, if someone was doing whites, and used too much bleach, or other fabric that bleeds, then you may be the unlucky soul who finds out by having ruined Khakis.
For what they cost, not worth it in my opinion; ymmv.

NWU's are totally machine washable, and even the heavyweight(regular) version dries pretty quickly (less than 12h) if you hang them up.
Ideally, they should be washed before the initial wear, but after all the patches have been sewn on.
You want all the fabrics to wear/fade at the same rate. I recommend fastening all the buttons/zippers and turning inside out. They don't have to be ironed.

Mark all your MIL gear on the labels provided; just good practice, and helps a ton, just in case you get forced into a "group laundry" situation.
Remember: Gear adrift is a gift!

Also, don't dry your PT shorts in the dryer.
The reflective logos tend to melt/peel right off.
Wash/dry the yellow shirts inside out and you should be good.
Again, a small "delicate" laundry bag might be a good idea.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
I just purchased my full SDB for commissioning, yikes. Surprised at the cost, and I didn't go with the Brooks Brothers option.

Side question, the uniform shop I visited only had a pair of awful, mate finish, Bates oxfords. Can we also wear high-gloss oxfords with he SBD? I would much rather wear something like the patent leather high-gloss oxfords the Marines wear.

Most do not buy the Brooks Brothers SDB, but most do buy the Brooks Bros dress shirt. Its a lot nicer shirt, and will not shrink.

ABMD

That's what I ended up with, just the BB shirt and Tie. Wouldn't you know it, the first time I washed the shirt (with other white shirts) in a brand new washer and brand new dryer it comes out with a black smudge on the front edge of the collar. That was at the end of a week full of uniform follies.

Commissioning went off without a hitch and just received notification of my first drill date.

ABMD

If you purchased at the uniform shop, you should at least be able to get free alterations on the jacket. Wasn't an option for me, as my closest supply options are non-Navy, and won't do free alterations on stuff not purchased there.

True story, the NEX in Annapolis calls me a week before commissioning and tells me the tailor quit and I need to pickup my uniform and take it someplace else. I spend 2 days calling all the local tailor/seamstresses/drycleaners to find one that knows military regulations regarding uniforms. Find a place next to Ft. Meade and take it there with the assurance they know what they're doing. 4 trips and $80 later I just say the heck with it and take the uniform.:mad: Any issues will be corrected at DCOIC. :D

bryanteagle6

Does anyone know if DCOIC will accept either type I or type III nwu effective immediately, or will they transition in October along with recruiting station great Lakes?

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Does anyone know if DCOIC will accept either type I or type III nwu effective immediately, or will they transition in October along with recruiting station great Lakes?
If your parent command/NOSC authorizes wear of the Type III uniform, then it is acceptable at DCOIC. We had a couple in my class who wore the Type III, even before the uniform transition was announced.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
True story, the NEX in Annapolis calls me a week before commissioning and tells me the tailor quit and I need to pickup my uniform and take it someplace else. I spend 2 days calling all the local tailor/seamstresses/drycleaners to find one that knows military regulations regarding uniforms. Find a place next to Ft. Meade and take it there with the assurance they know what they're doing. 4 trips and $80 later I just say the heck with it and take the uniform.:mad: Any issues will be corrected at DCOIC. :D

While most dry cleaners/tailors in military heavy towns can handle sewing uniforms, I find it good to chapter 3 of the uniform regs handy (yes, there's an app for that), especially in areas where there is no strong Navy presence. My SDB were jacked by my regular cleaners, as she was busy and sent it out to her secondary shop across town. In addition to losing a gold button, the sleeves came back uneven, and the stars were pointing the wrong way (can't make this up). We both learned our lesson.

Lesson 1: If you don't explicitly state what you want, then you get what you got.
Lesson 2: If you make your name on uniform alterations, don't sub-contract the job.

Happy ending - She fixed the screw-up stitch job herself, and replaced the button, all for no additional charge.

ABMD

Anyone out there heading to DCOIC in March? Just got confirmation of my dates, can't wait to get started.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
For those who DIRCOM in 2017, are they required to buy blueberries? Or can you just go with the Type III's straight away? Curious to hear the experiences of reserve ensigns.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
For those who DIRCOM in 2017, are they required to buy blueberries? Or can you just go with the Type III's straight away? Curious to hear the experiences of reserve ensigns.
Normally, I'd just point at the NAVADMIN, but I'm kinda curious as well. In my mind, the bigger question is how many (Reserve) Skippers are authorizing sailors to wear it now, instead of waiting for a wider roll-out? I've seen at least one sailor walk into the NOSC, freshly outfitted, only to be told, nice, but #toosoon, CO hasn't authorized it yet.

Before the questions start, the sailor was not a SeaBee, and was not issued Type III NWUs as organizational wear. He purchased himself, out of pocket.
NAVADMIN for quick reference: <http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2016/NAV16174.txt>

unbroken

Naval officer
Normally, I'd just point at the NAVADMIN, but I'm kinda curious as well. In my mind, the bigger question is how many (Reserve) Skippers are authorizing sailors to wear it now, instead of waiting for a wider roll-out? I've seen at least one sailor walk into the NOSC, freshly outfitted, only to be told, nice, but #toosoon, CO hasn't authorized it yet.

Before the questions start, the sailor was not a SeaBee, and was not issued Type III NWUs as organizational wear. He purchased himself, out of pocket.
NAVADMIN for quick reference: <http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2016/NAV16174.txt>

I am in an IWC unit and I'd say about 5 or so guys have the Type IIIs. From what I can tell, these were issued in advance of recent deployments (all to Afghanistan, I believe), but they've continued to wear them now that they're back. I haven't explicitly heard our unit CO say this is authorized, but since they've continued wear them I assume there are no issues.

Who told the sailor at your NOSC he wasn't authorized? The NOSC CO or his unit CO? My division officer told me to get the Type III if I could bc otherwise I'll just be wearing blueberries for DCOIC and it'll be a waste of money. I know of one other IWC unit at our base that has also officially authorized them (not sure how they got them issued, however!) I would say about a quarter of the folks I've seen at our NOSC are wearing them, and not all are SeaBees.

To @Hair Warrior 's point, from what I can tell we are essentially in a gray area until they stock up the exchange with the Type IIIs. In short, you should confirm with your CO as they have ultimate discretion. I inquired with DCOIC and they said that either Type I or III is permissible during this transition period. True to Navy form, now I just need to figure out whether to get the black or brown boots. NOSC (and big Navy) guidance is black unless you are expeditionary, but everyone with Type IIIs in my unit has brown. Not sure whether DCOIC will preference that I go with my unit, or with the official guidance.... @fieldrat, care to weigh in wrt what the Type IIIs in your class were sporting?

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I see AD IWC members wearing both Type I and Type III where I work, but we have a civilian boss.

A reservist IS1 coworker told me she hates the black boots (too heavy) and therefore hates the Type I's altogether.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
care to weigh in wrt what the Type IIIs in your class were sporting?
I went in JUL-16, before the NAVADMIN was released. The only folks wearing Type III NWUs in my class were SeaBee Mustangs, and SEALs. They all had rough-out brown/tan boots.

Truly hoping my CO will auth the brown boots at some point. I'm not in any hurry, since I had to buy a second set of aquaflage just to go to school. Plus, I'm actually getting use out of my parka, so I'm content to hold off for a while longer...<lyric>rock it 'til the wheels fall off</lyric>

Who told the sailor at your NOSC he wasn't authorized?
Since I was the sailor's DIV-O at the time, and it wasn't me, it was either a Chief, or the CO/XO, judging by the direction he was coming from, and his demeanor.