• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS GI Bill funded flight training to be discontinued....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, that's some bullshit. Sounds like standard government overreaction, and I would imagine, some VA bureaucrats who have no idea how much flight training costs.

Hopefully this will get sorted in the near future.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Damn! I was gonna do that! Just to fill out my certs... MEI, airplane instrument, etc... damn.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fucking awesome. There went the last year's worth I was going to use after I got my Masters.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At first this affected only Helo part 141 programs - but now it looks like all flight training under GI Bill to be cancelled...http://popularmilitary.com/va-sends-notice-veterans-canceling-tuition-payments-flight-schools/

I am slightly wary that this affects all flight training funded by the GI Bill, I just did a search and the only other news story that claims this uses the same sources and said it was university-based flight training programs affected. I would assume that this sort of news would get a little more attention or some sort of announcement by the VA?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Guess I need to squirrel away that emergency "Oh shit gotta get that ATP" fund after all.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If true, the attitude wouldn't be surprising- "oh, this benefit is costing us money? Quick cancel it!"

Last I heard from a buddy using the benefit at one of these universities, the VA cut funding for all Private Pilot License flight hours, which his school picked up under the yellow ribbon program for their campus based students (their online students using flight training partners were SOL).

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Anyone with the 9-11 GI Bill should use it as soon as they can - it is (was) such a good deal that you know it would be on the chopping block sooner or later. Flight training, family transfers, you know it is all subject to change. JMO.

BenDog

Sheesh....can't catch a break. Currently enrolled at a flight school here in Dallas.......I too suspect changes are on the horizon.

BenDog

Very true Rockriver...... I'd at least like to finish instrument and commercial before they cut it. I've also been trading maintenance for flight time in a T34A to build time as well. Not looking at the airlines. At this point, hauling boxes in a Caravan would be great.

BenDog

Talked with my flight school admin, they have not gotten any word from the VA about it. She said she would call to inquire about it. Stay tuned......

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Yeah, my selected school seems to think it's still alive, too. I'll recount my experience in this thread since there doesn't seem to be anything else current here.

My situation: Separated non-current helo pilot (last tour was non-flying). I have Commercial Pilot, ASEL, Rotorcraft Helicopter, and Instrument Helicopter certificates. I want to use my post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to get some extra certificates. I already have a thermometer's worth of degrees, so I'm not gonna use them there. Not planning on passing to children, either, for like 6 reasons. Going to work with a part 141 school and have VA pay up to annual max of approx $12.5k.

Goals: 1. Instrument Airplane (so I have Airplane commercial privs) 2. CFI 3. CFII 4 (care less about this). ME / MEI
Could make some hours or $ on the side either instructing or flying friends w/ $ around (easy to find them here in the Bay Area).

Timeframe: Wifey says I have until mid-August to play pilot again. Then some things at home are a-changin' and I won't have time to do much of anything focused. I'm gonna be doing this on weekends mostly, maybe w/ a night flight thrown in on the weekdays.

Steps taken:
  1. Called local Part 141 school. They exist (website was garbage, but whatever), and rentals aren't terribly expensive. Lots of Cessnas with steam gauges. I'll survive. They said they'd have Chief Pilot call me about my goals. Recommended an AME, said get movin' on the VA app.
  2. Went to VA (www.vets.gov). Filled out form 22-1990. Used my transcripts and DD-214 a lot. Easy. Did have to say I wouldn't use the MGIB. I'm interested if anyone thinks that was dumb.
  3. Need a class 2 medical to get started (VA rules). My flight physical's out of date (only counts for 3rd class anyway if it was current). Went to medxpress.faa.gov. Made a new login, filled out form, got number.
  4. Called local AME (you can use an FAA directory to find a local one). Need to schedule appt for Class 2.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Its been a while since I looked at the regs, but you may want to consider quickly getting your Helicopter ATP and then immediately jumping to get your airplane ATP. It used to be that if you had a rotary ATP, it required much less fixed wing hours to get your airplane ATP. That was years ago but if that rule is still around, it may save you some time and money. Then again, it may not be necessary now. Good luck.