• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess only the AF gets to go to wonderful places like Alaska and Greenland, huh?

The Navy still goes up to Alaska and Canada for exercises so we do get to see some cold, just not Greenland-style cold. I flew out of Misawa, Japan in the winter and it got pretty cold and snowy up there, not a lot of fun 'fighting' F-16's in a dry suit but at least I get to say I did it.

The Navy used to do the support for the Antarctic mission, run by the National Science Foundation, using LC-130's (with skis) and UH-1's but we gave it up in '97 and the NYANG does it now. We had a few refugees from that squadron in mine and they had some pretty good stories.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Waving jets in the Gulf of Alaska while supporting some AF exercise. Three layers, then had to go find the biggest guy on the ship and use his float coat. Gloves were so thick that I couldn't get finger through the ring on the pickle...so to speak...

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 6.29.41 AM.png

Last edited:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy still goes up to Alaska and Canada for exercises so we do get to see some cold, just not Greenland-style cold. I flew out of Misawa, Japan in the winter and it got pretty cold and snowy up there, not a lot of fun 'fighting' F-16's in a dry suit but at least I get to say I did it.

The Navy used to do the support for the Antarctic mission, run by the National Science Foundation, using LC-130's (with skis) and UH-1's but we gave it up in '97 and the NYANG does it now. We had a few refugees from that squadron in mine and they had some pretty good stories.

MPRA goes to chilly places like Norway and Iceland as well.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MPRA goes to chilly places like Norway and Iceland as well.

Neither of them isn't 'freeze your oil' cold like Thule is in the winter though. I know in the past P-3's have flown out of Thule, not sure if they have recently though.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Another thing that affected warmth on JFK - most of the spaces were locked shut, reheaters off, etc. etc. apparently in prep for her decom.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Watching an Officer and a Gentleman...was there ever a real or something similar to a "Puget Sound Deb?" Just curious:rolleyes:

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
There's girls (and guys) like that around every base. Embellished by Hollywood of course, A Havelock Honey would have made for poor reviews.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Watching an Officer and a Gentleman...was there ever a real or something similar to a "Puget Sound Deb?" Just curious:rolleyes:

There are plenty of flight school wives out there, and there are plenty of SNAGs looking for their SNA to take them away.