• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going OCS -need advice!

ZIGS

I haven't been give the best information and have been given the run around. Any information that would be helpful I would appreciate. I have 2 Masters and i took the OAR yet got a 35- :( i only studied for two weeks because i was told i had to take the exam before holidays. I was taking the DLAB at the same time because i was going to go enlisted (which i am now) because my recruiter told me this was faster for becoming an officer. I was working with both recruiting stations just in case. Now i haven't submitted my packet as i am still in "A school". I was planning to do so at my first command at the end of the summer. Yet i don't think my score is competitive enough, even with 2 masters. Should i apply anyways and in the mean time take the exam again? Any thoughts? do i have to wait a year at my command station before i can apply. Any advice, websites or connections are so appreciated.

dahlel

Came to the darkside
pilot
Sounds like your recruiter rushed you into this for his quotas. Enlisting is not a faster route to becoming and Officer, it is longer and much more time consuming. Given the position you're in now, study harder for the OAR and take it when you feel confident, not rushed. Two Masters will help your application but its not a huge game changer. Now that your enlisted you will have to submit copies of your evals an you want to make sure you have top notch PMA and write ups to match.

You shouldn't have to wait a year to apply but it will now take you much longer to build up a reputation that is transmitted through your evals which play a big part in board selection for OCS from the fleet.

Work on your quals and make every effort to stand out and go above and beyond your COC's expectations. They will be the ones who make or break your OCS package.

exNavyOffRec

35 is not a qualifying score to submit for many designators, not sure what you want to submit for but you need to check before submitting.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Keep in mind that I went to AOCS about the time many of the JOs on this board were born. I was a mustang coming out of the Marine Corps. It sounds like your recruiter led you down the path he or she wanted you to take, not the one you desired. Your education will help you out a bit, but as others with far more recent experience have noted, you need to perform, perform, perform as an enlisted sailor. Good luck, study hard, and keep trying.

Renegade One

None
Focus on doing well in A School in whatever rate you're being trained for right now. Don't keep getting distracted by the next shiny object and don't let everyone at your new command know that you're just marking time until you get picked up for an officer route.

Right now you've signed a contract and swore an oath that covers the next several years. Live up to those obligations first and foremost. Thrive where you're planted. Your focus at your new command should be on getting all your quals and making the next pay grade as soon as you can. Nothing wrong with having a long-term Plan B, but execute today's Plan A as well as you can.

OBTW, the first person pronoun "I" should always be capitalized.

ZIGS

recently took the OAR for the second time and got a 46 n I have two masters (3.77 GPA ) I am currently enlisted. My concern is I came in with an MJ waiver as well as theft in the 3rd Degree when I was a minor. There was no conviction or criminal record or anything but police record of it. Will any of the following disqualify me from being an officer? I am applying to be a Public Affairs Officer, Supply then SWO. Any recommendations of what I can do now and in the fleet?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
recently took the OAR for the second time and got a 46 n I have two masters (3.77 GPA ) I am currently enlisted. My concern is I came in with an MJ waiver as well as theft in the 3rd Degree when I was a minor. There was no conviction or criminal record or anything but police record of it. Will any of the following disqualify me from being an officer? I am applying to be a Public Affairs Officer, Supply then SWO. Any recommendations of what I can do now and in the fleet?

Are you an MC or have enlisted or civilian public affairs experience? If the answer is no scratch off PAO.

Do you have a business-related or STEM degree? If the answer is no scratch off Supply.

SWO is a possibility, but the low OAR and drug/legal history might present a concern. Worst thing you can do is apply and get the PROREC NO.

exNavyOffRec

I was going to respond, but RUFIO channeled me and gave the answers I was going to give and posted them himself, nearly word for word.

ZIGS

Yes I have over 6 years of PA experience with military, high end delegates, state department officials, ambassadors etc... in DC and in my local state. I have two appraisals so far, all 10 and very strong recommendations. I will continue to do PA stuff at this command and the next.

I am not familiar with PROREC NO. Will look into it.Thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Yes I have over 6 years of PA experience with military, high end delegates, state department officials, ambassadors etc... in DC and in my local state. I have two appraisals so far, all 10 and very strong recommendations. I will continue to do PA stuff at this command and the next.

For PAO, they have only accepted enlisted MCs the past 4-5 years.

exNavyOffRec

by civilian experience that means been a reporter in front of the camera, the last person I saw that was not an MC who was selected had civilian experience as an actual reporter, not an MC = no go now, just like EOD, both are specialized designators who now essentially only take from within their own ranks.

also SWO will only look at you if you put them 1 or 2, and it is rare for someone to get picked for Supply unless they put them 1, and sometimes 2.

CeeJayPA

Hi everybody,

I am new to this site, and this is my first post here. I searched keywords, and have not been able to find tons of PAO stuff on here, so I thought I'd start here. If I am doing this wrong, please let me know a better way to search and I will be more than happy to do so! I am an enlisted MC2 with about 5 years under my belt, and considering putting a package in when I finish my Bachelor's next February. I am reading that the community is oftentimes bringing MC's up before others, but I am not sure what the packages are looking for in terms of PA experience. I have been on one ship as an MC, and am currently stationed at a training command unfortunately working as a base urinalysis coordinator (long story), so I was hoping somebody could maybe give some insight on possible routes to take to become competitive. My GPA is currently around 3.8, but I have yet to take the OAR. My degree is in Strategic Communications, and I am scheduled to begin my Master's in the same program the month after i finish my Bachelor's. I have a few connections in the PAO world who have offered to help me with getting good interviews and LOR's, but am still in the beginning stages of this. Thanks for any and all help.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hi everybody,

I am new to this site, and this is my first post here. I searched keywords, and have not been able to find tons of PAO stuff on here, so I thought I'd start here. If I am doing this wrong, please let me know a better way to search and I will be more than happy to do so! I am an enlisted MC2 with about 5 years under my belt, and considering putting a package in when I finish my Bachelor's next February. I am reading that the community is oftentimes bringing MC's up before others, but I am not sure what the packages are looking for in terms of PA experience. I have been on one ship as an MC, and am currently stationed at a training command unfortunately working as a base urinalysis coordinator (long story), so I was hoping somebody could maybe give some insight on possible routes to take to become competitive. My GPA is currently around 3.8, but I have yet to take the OAR. My degree is in Strategic Communications, and I am scheduled to begin my Master's in the same program the month after i finish my Bachelor's. I have a few connections in the PAO world who have offered to help me with getting good interviews and LOR's, but am still in the beginning stages of this. Thanks for any and all help.

Have your chief/LPO find you a PAO ENS or LTJG. More than likely he or she can tell you how you stack up and how to improve your chances for selection.

CeeJayPA

RUFiO,

As I mentioned, I actually have a LTJG contact who is willing to help me out with some things, but said person is an academy grad who obviously didn't come from the MC community. As amazing and awesome of a resource as this person is for me, I was just seeing if anybody had any advice from the enlisted viewpoint/mindset. Maybe this isn't the right place for that being an officer link (haha), but just thought I'd see what people think. I appreciate your input either way RUFiO. Thanks for the quick response for a new member!