• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Headed to Cecil. Where to live?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DCMA is a good twilight tour, especially if you want to stay in the biz after retirement. Easy segue to flying as a GFR or contractor.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are OK with going the private school route (since the Duval county system is, well, lacking) I'm in Avondale and it's freakin awesome. About 30 minutes to Cecil and pretty quick access to everything in Jacksonville. Also tons of stuff to walk to in a safe neighborhood. The vast majority are old homes though (I lucked out with new construction), so if you want a McMansion you're out of luck.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I lived in Julington Creek and commuted to Cecil. Took me about 45 mins on average each way. It's a booming area since it's on the St Johns County side of the line - better schools, etc, than Duval. My folks still live there. Very pleasant area to live.

Ralph

I work out at Cecil (when I'm home). A lot of my coworkers live in Oakleaf and like it. Some live as far away as St. Augustine. I live near NAS Jax . The commute isn't too bad with several ways into the Cecil area (103rd St, Normandy Blvd, I-10, and Brannan Field Rd). You are pretty much against the traffic coming and going, with the exception of the Flight Star 500! Be careful.

Is the Guard side gone that much?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Every 4-5 years or so. Plus I do a lot of other things like aircraft deliveries, MTP check rides out of state, etc.. All in all, still heaps better than active duty.

Might need to bring a boat with you (for the current hurricane and it's a great place to boat).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hurricane went to the west of us. Pretty windy here right now and we have one more band that's supposed to come through, but downed limbs/powerlines is the worst it seems here.

Marco

Julington Creek/ St. John's area: I imagine you'll be splitting your time btwn Cecil and St. Augustine Airport. (St. Aug is where Northrop is located) This will put you smack dab in the middle and the school system is one of the highest rated in the country.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Julington Creek/ St. John's area: I imagine you'll be splitting your time btwn Cecil and St. Augustine Airport. (St. Aug is where Northrop is located) This will put you smack dab in the middle and the school system is one of the highest rated in the country.

If he's doing Hornet work, the Boeing facility is at Cecil. I think DCMA St Aug just handles Grumman SAMC.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I will be working primarily at the DCMA facility at Cecil. It is under DCMA St Augustine. My understanding is there are also projects at Jax international as well. Some type of Super T or T6 project. Not sure yet. Been concentrating on AWF for the last few and next several weeks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will be working primarily at the DCMA facility at Cecil. It is under DCMA St Augustine. My understanding is there are also projects at Jax international as well. Some type of Super T or T6 project. Not sure yet. Been concentrating on AWF for the last few and next several weeks.

Oh? Neato. I know the Super Tuc facility is out that way. Do tell, assuming you're allowed.

Marco

Jax Intl is the Embraer facility doing final assembly on A-29 Super Tucano program. Shoot me a PM when you get settled in and I can give you some local guidance if you need it. I've lived in Jax for last 26 years and my hangar is next door to Embraer at Jax.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I will chime back in once I get settled into the new job and have a clue. I'm just slugging my way through Fallon now.