• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 17 IDC DCO BOARD

Intel_DCO

First hit's free: The IWC (INTEL, CW, METOC, IP) DCO board is once a year, and FY-16 was in January, so reasonably expect January 2017 to be the time frame. Kits are normally due to the processor one month in advance, but don't wait that late. You want time in case you have to make corrections, or track down additional documentation. Program Authorization 108A is the official guidance for requirements and such. Google away.

Thanks to ABMD and fieldrat for the info, particularly about 108A. I've been all over the process so far (completed all the paperwork, cleared MEPS). I'm just in a holding pattern, waiting on the interviews.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Thanks to ABMD and fieldrat for the info, particularly about 108A. I've been all over the process so far (completed all the paperwork, cleared MEPS). I'm just in a holding pattern, waiting on the interviews.
Any idea how the interviews work? What if you know people in the community already?

Intel_DCO

Any idea how the interviews work? What if you know people in the community already?

I do not. I have read mixed information about individual interviews and interview "panels." 108A indicates that there is an IDC (IWC) region OIC interview in addition to other interviews with community members (is that the panel?) I'm not sure though how much of that can be arranged by the applicant versus through the recruiter.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Use your network. Call them up and see if they are willing/available to do interviews. Just keep your OR in the loop, so no one gets blindsided.

I'm not sure though how much of that can be arranged by the applicant versus through the recruiter.
Your OR can set stuff up, but just be prepared to travel at your own expense. The more flexible/accommodating you are, the easier/faster your process will be.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Use your network. Call them up and see if they are willing/available to do interviews. Just keep your OR in the loop, so no one gets blindsided.
This is great I am going to work on this. I am deployed overseas and not sure if I am going to be able to get this done in time when I get back. I am hoping my OR can find a solution to this as I need to go to MEPS and other things that are normally done in person.

Intel_DCO

I've decided I may have to be more proactive in arranging my own interviews. (I don't think I can arrange the IWC Region OIC interview but at least I may be able to arrange one or two of the IWC interviews? I've met one local IWC O-4 officer who would be willing to do it.) If I arrange this myself, does anyone know if I am just to contact these officers (O-4 or above) directly, request they interview me, have them complete an interview appraisal form, and send the form to my recruiter? I was able to find the NAVCRUIT 1131/5 (Rev 02-2014) form, assuming that is the correct revision. PA 108A suggests that the appraisal forms are collected by the OIC and he sends the entire package to the recruiter but I don't know who that is at this point.

unbroken

Naval officer
I've decided I may have to be more proactive in arranging my own interviews. (I don't think I can arrange the IWC Region OIC interview but at least I may be able to arrange one or two of the IWC interviews? I've met one local IWC O-4 officer who would be willing to do it.) If I arrange this myself, does anyone know if I am just to contact these officers (O-4 or above) directly, request they interview me, have them complete an interview appraisal form, and send the form to my recruiter? I was able to find the NAVCRUIT 1131/5 (Rev 02-2014) form, assuming that is the correct revision. PA 108A suggests that the appraisal forms are collected by the OIC and he sends the entire package to the recruiter but I don't know who that is at this point.

Yes, you reach out to them and explain what you are applying for and request they interview you. Your OR should be able to give you an eval form to give to them. They can then email that back to your recruiter.

Greetings all!

This is my second attempt at the DIRCOM board, 1835 (Intel) as my primary rating selection. I know these are important for the forum:

Current Fed LEO with extensive overseas experience (protective operations, counter narcotics and counterterrorism)
9.5 years prior service Marine Corps
5.5 years officer (O-3; combat arms—two years commanding a ground intelligence unit)
4.0 years enlisted (E-3; logistics)
MA: Security Studies (3.9)
MPA: Public Administration (3.7)
BA: American Studies (2.6)
Some other favorable things…

I recently relocated to the Washington D.C.-area and I cannot get comms with the recruiter out here. Anyone have any solid POCs?

Magnum6

This is my second attempt at the DIRCOM board, 1835 (Intel)

Does that imply you were non-select first time around, or did you just not finish the process? Because I've got to tell you, it's pretty crushing to my hopes if a guy with your background/credentials was non-select for this board.

I was a non-select. My recruiter was unable to gain any feedback on what factors denied my accession. Regardless, most DIRCOMs I know have had to re-apply for a second and third attempt. It is competitive, that is for sure. You just got to put your best foot forward, jump in the ring, and hope for the best. One thing is for sure: you won't get selected if you don't apply. Non-applicants have a 0% accession success rate.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I was a non-select. My recruiter was unable to gain any feedback on what factors denied my accession. Regardless, most DIRCOMs I know have had to re-apply for a second and third attempt. It is competitive, that is for sure. You just got to put your best foot forward, jump in the ring, and hope for the best. One thing is for sure: you won't get selected if you don't apply. Non-applicants have a 0% accession success rate.
With your situation, having been a Captain in the USMC, would you come into the Navy as an O-1?

Magnum6

With your situation, having been a Captain in the USMC, would you come into the Navy as an O-1?
Coming in as an OSVET (other service veteran) with a prior commission, he would be appointed as an O-3 with Date of Rank reset to whenever he is commissioned in the Navy.

I've been told your rank would be determined by the commissioning board. I understand that you should retain your last rank with a time in rank of 0 days. Essentially reseting your clock for your next grade promotion.

Magnum6

Previous years' board instructions:

"All selected prior service commissioned officers shall be commissioned at their last commissioned rank. Recruiters are instructed to reset time-in-grade clocks for any selectees that will be commissioned in the grade of O3 so as to not disadvantage or hinder the candidate’s future promotion opportunities."

I would assume that language would carry over into the next board as well.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've been told your rank would be determined by the commissioning board. I understand that you should retain your last rank with a time in rank of 0 days. Essentially reseting your clock for your next grade promotion.

This is a wild guess but the reason you haven't been selected is the fact you're competing for an O-3 IDC spot vice everyone else who is coming in as an O-1. IWC gets filled, especially the O-3s and O-2s who eventually promote to LT. Your stats do make you competitive, but the fact you're an O-3, or should I say prior O-3 makes it slim to none accommodating a spot for you.

With almost 10 years in why did you leave the Marine Corps? If possible, check our USMCR opportunities if they're there.

I'll let @NavyOffRec weigh his opinion as well.