• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Headed to Cecil. Where to live?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Looking for anyone with Jax experience here. Headed to Cecil Field and looking for where to live. Have a son in high school, so looking for a area with good schools. Don't mind a little bit of a drive, currently doing 45 mins here in Fresno/Lemoore. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Way better than Lemoore or Hanford. Family loved it here. Would rather stay here than move back to VA Beach or Jax, believe it or not. Awesome schools, great housing, and the drive isn't that bad (4 lane almost all of the way). Wife and kids loved the mountains. Actually bought a couple dirt bikes my son and I go ride up in the mountains as well. I was not interested in coming to Lemoore at all, now I don't want to leave.

dustydog

pilot
Fleming Island. Schools are good but its the suburbs. Probably a 30 min drive in the AM. I wouldn't live out by Cecil. Jax is huge, everything is going to be a drive.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Second Fleming Island. I still own a house there and want to move back someday. Great schools, good community, and it'll put you reasonably close to downtown Jax and not have a super long drive to work either.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I will second Fleming Island. I lived there for close to 6 years and both my kids went to and graduated high school there. Typical suburbia but you have everything you need there and they have a good school system with a lot of military kids.

The other typical place people end up is Julington Creek which has another good school district but that is farther east and would be a greater commute for you.

I would strongly recommend Mona Gardella for any real estate needs. Bought and sold my house there with her. She had been doing real estate there for over 10 years. Flew with her husband and she does a great job taking care of military.

https://www.coldwellbanker.com/agents/Mona-Gardella-32003

Drop me a PM or we can talk on the phone if you have any specific questions about the school system. Kids did well going to college from there and I think it prepared them well for that transition and set them up for success.

John

Python

pilot
Contributor
Way better than Lemoore or Hanford. Family loved it here. Would rather stay here than move back to VA Beach or Jax, believe it or not. Awesome schools, great housing, and the drive isn't that bad (4 lane almost all of the way). Wife and kids loved the mountains. Actually bought a couple dirt bikes my son and I go ride up in the mountains as well. I was not interested in coming to Lemoore at all, now I don't want to leave.

There's no liking NAS Lemoore. I am envious of your leaving. Btw...4 lanes....until the 40 minutes of gate traffic!

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Python, I will say the traffic as of late has really sucked. Took me 35 minutes to get off base from Hng 5. The base CO and XO need to get that crap figured out.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Flash,

Headed to be the OIC of DCMA. From what I hear, they are flying F18 A-G, F-16's, and F-5's. Looking forward to a somewhat relaxing (if that's possible in the Navy) and most likely final tour.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Python, I will say the traffic as of late has really sucked. Took me 35 minutes to get off base from Hng 5. The base CO and XO need to get that crap figured out.

I figured it out for them. Open the second lane. Tada!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash,

Headed to be the OIC of DCMA. From what I hear, they are flying F18 A-G, F-16's, and F-5's. Looking forward to a somewhat relaxing (if that's possible in the Navy) and most likely final tour.

Oh man, that sounds like it just....sucks. :D

I had a good buddy who did a tour at the PDM facility at JAX and he had a good time, it was a very relaxing tour for the most part, but didn't get anywhere as near as much flight time as he had hoped. He was a Prowler FO though and the diminishing number of Prowlers going through PDM had a lot to do with it.

Best of luck, sounds like a pretty sweet ride into the sunset!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Oakleaf Plantation. It is way closer than Flemjng to Cecil, the high school is fairly new, and the houses are all built in the 2000's. Lots of stores, easy access to I-10 and the airport.

I lived out there in 2009 and liked it, I still go to visit friends of the family there and am amazed at how much it grows each time.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I work out at Cecil (when I'm home). A lot of my coworkers live in Oakleaf and like it. Some live as far away as St. Augustine. I live near NAS Jax . The commute isn't too bad with several ways into the Cecil area (103rd St, Normandy Blvd, I-10, and Brannan Field Rd). You are pretty much against the traffic coming and going, with the exception of the Flight Star 500! Be careful.